12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Anyone else turned off by the modern trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else turned off by the modern trucks?

Man, Hopped in my 20 year old 12v this past weekend after driving my company issued 2014 truck for 6 months and also driving my 2013 VW Passat diesel to work. Brought to light Some things that I really enjoy about this old truck that didn't bother me in the new rigs....until I drove my 12V again afterwards!
1. Throttle response, wow- its amazing how terrible drive by wire is! I swear if they could make a modern truck "feel" like the P pump it would get raveing reviews with 5 stars on every blog!
2. Being able to see out of the cab! So many more blind spots in the new rigs
3. DEF, caught myself reaching for the DEF nozzle at the truck stop
4. Regen cycles, no worries about blown turbos or parking in the grass- My OBDII scan tool showed pre turbo EGT's at 1300F during a regen at idle!!
5. Being able to actually shift from N to drive and to R without brakes applied, didn't thing this was a biggie until I went to hook up our trailer.
And last but not least, 5MPG better MPG's! doesn't get much better than that!
(granted the 2014 trucks can haul way more and still feel like a lexus on the interstate, but im talking driving it empty)
Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are so far out of my price that I haven't even looked at them up close. Didn't Know about the "features" that you pointed out.
Even if they depreciate into my price, I'm sure that I will not want to spend the money to keep one running with all of the expensive electronics on em. I read in "Diesel Power" that the complete exhaust, with the cats, DPF, and sensors would cost $4000.
Ray
Old 05-16-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I miss the seats of the '98.5 I had. That's it.
The fit and finish of the 4th gens is off the chart compared to mine.
Just way to expensive for me.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Please don't get me wrong I long for the days of yore when I could open the hood of my chevy truck sit on the wheel well under the hood and had plenty of room to work on it.
Messing with points, condensers, distributor caps, plug wires and spark plugs that might last 6 months. Coils, distributors, hand crank windows, bench seats, super stiff suspension, my 8 track player with am and fm radio after I upgraded it from the am only radio. Tuning the carb, fidgeting with the choke etc.

While I could work on that a lot easier than todays stuff I would have to admit the newer ones are pretty darn nice and if we never moved forward we would still be riding in a model A. The price of progress I guess.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryG
Messing with points, condensers, distributor caps, plug wires and spark plugs that might last 6 months. Coils, distributors, hand crank windows, bench seats, super stiff suspension, my 8 track player with am and fm radio after I upgraded it from the am only radio. Tuning the carb, fidgeting with the choke etc.

This is why I like the 12V. Only fine tuning I've done over the last 150k miles is ripping out the fuel plate and adjusting the AFC.

edit; I lied, I forgot that last week I had to make some new throttle linkage bushings, the old plastic ones wore out. New brass ones should last a while.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What did you do to make new throttle linkage bushings? Mine are getting a little loose
Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I found a brass hose coupling that was just about the perfect size, had to clean up the inside just a little. Must have been a 5/16 or 3/8", I can't remember.

Name:  image_zps5f221178.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  102.7 KB
Old 05-27-2014, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can buy Cummins replacement plastic bushings for cheap (under 3$), but I really like the brass ones. Nice job.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:38 PM

I see new dodge trucks everyday at work..

probably have seen some members new trucks long before they even got them actually... even have driven and moved ecodiesel 1500s too...

and despite how nice that they are, I cannot believe their actual sticker price, and what they sell for over here.. that alone is enough to keep me in my 05 and 95...

new trucks are really nice, but even a tradesman at 45K out the door seems ridiculous to me.. an SLT at that price would be reasonable... but the sight of these trucks daily does nothing but make me appreciate mine that much more... it does what I need, its paid for, and I could do more with the extra truck payment in my pocket...

till I have a need for a new truck, ill probably just keep looking the other way..
Old 05-30-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Just don't drive one.
The handling,braking and creature comforts just keep getting better.
That's not firsthand experience,just posts I've read.
My '07 is lightyears ahead of my '98.5 and I assume it's just getting better in those depts. with the 4th gens..
Old 06-01-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll keep my '95. 328,xxx miles and still going strong. 220,000 on the ATS stage IV.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:41 PM

Here is some ranting on this... See my signature. Went backwards to where I am today. Now trying to create the perfect "new" '96 12 valve by rebuilding and upgrading.

All due to emissions we are past the golden age of the diesel engine as far as being able to make it run the way it can. The existing programmers are just not good enough to duplicate the mechanical engine. Plus the built in EGR in the cam timing of the common rail engines is another problem heating the exhaust and sooting the oil.

How about this: My slightly turned up 12 valve does not turn the oil black until 5000 miles and even then it is tinted and I can see the dipstick readings through it.

I think there is a $3,000 ecm available for racing that will get the common rail trucks to behave like the mechanically fueled ones.

The modern truck chassis are not any better in durability. Creature comforts are nice, but a lot of that stuff can be bought aftermarket. Heated seats, mirrors, gps, bluetooth touch screens, etc.

I have lived in emissions check states in the past but not currently. I would love to do a 12 valve swap into a newer truck but it would all be a waste if emissions checks came to my area. Since I want to keep my current truck for life I got a VIN with the body, engine, trans, that I can stay with.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:16 PM

ETN550, exactly my thoughts! The new rigs can hold a lane perfectly with almost zero driver effort when pulling in the worst of conditions.... but that's where it ends. I would love to pick up one of the many F350 6.0 and 6.4 crew cab trucks with engine issues seen on craigs list for under $8K and drop in a sweet 12V paired up with either a stick or 1000 series Allison.
I will continue to dream about this, meanwhile the wife pulled into the garage last night with her VW in regen, DPF glowing red with EGT 1 pre turbo showing a steady 1,355F with both the AC and engine fans running full speed, at least she didn't turn it off! Man I hate the chorine bleach smell of modern diesel exhaust.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 PM

I don't care for the "big rig" look, even the Fords have that problem.

I do like the new 1500, and got a chance to sit in one of the new EcoDiesels (wish I could have had a test drive but didn't have time).

The two things I do like on the new trucks is they finally started coming with 18 inch wheels and tires (275-70/18) that fit the wheel wells much better than previous model years, and the new bed on the dually trucks.

Finally someone there is listening to the customer base!

-Kris
Old 07-04-2014, 07:05 PM

I like the oldschool trucks because of the lack of EPA mandated BS in em. I swear all the new diesels feel like you have the !#@$% federal govt riding in the back seat with you.
And repairing them? Sheesh. looks expensive and complicated.
I really like the superduty, except for the motor. Only way Id get one is with a 12v in it. Only way I can legally do it here is in a commercial truck with a 04 or older chassis.

Quick Reply: Anyone else turned off by the modern trucks?