12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Amount of time for labor??? Calling Diesel shop mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So your shop charged you $1600 for a $359 leak fix that the injection shop charged them?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that right

So far that is what I know. The injection shop only fixed the leak and replaced some gaskets. Diesel shop is saying they paid injection shop $800.00. $800 to fix pump and $800 for the shop?

Even so,
$1600.00 for a pump that is still bad and was never checked?

I am

I am getting a 215 pump this weekend and having Cummins install it. Boy if that original shop thought I had deep pockets, they have not seen anything yet. I figure they will be into their attorney for no less than 5K when I get done with them.....

Plus my attorneys fees, $2700.00 for their shop fees, $2050.00 from Cummins and time down for truck being in shop for 27 days in a 31 day month....

And do not forget the loss in business they will suffer when I get done with my add campaign........

Dave
Old 11-08-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Next time that puppy hits a snag, you are in luck. We both know who your local Dodge dealer is and they are the stuff of legend. However, Carson City Dodge are probably the best Cummings people on the West Coast. I go down there for anything out of the ordinary and they really know their stuff. Shop rates are lower and they make a habit of getting it done right the first time. If you are looking for a good independent diesel mechanic in Sparks for the routine stuff, drop me a note and I'll get you that info too.

Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:57 PM

Shop

Turbo I actually took my truck to Rocky Moutain Cummins. They are a superior shop. There diagnosing and wrenching skillz are fantastic..... It was the "first" shop I took it to that was a HUGE disappointment.

My bank account has lost almost $5000.00 in one month on a truck that I purchased for $7200.00. I about to start a " help a brother out and get my truck fixed " fund....!!!

Dave
Old 11-08-2006, 09:50 PM

215 pump

I am going to order a pump tomorrow. Is there any reason a 215 pump from a 97-99 will not work on my 94? And anyone have experience with this company??

http://www.usdieselparts.com/category.cfm?Category=1009

Thanks.....

Dave
Old 11-09-2006, 08:07 AM
JKM

That pump will work awsome , although it is for a 96-98 (no p pumps in 99).
Old 11-09-2006, 10:50 AM

thanks

Thanks JKM. I can't wait for my truck to finally run good. New pump and more HP. What else could I ask for........!!! My truck is good for another 200K...
Dave
Old 11-10-2006, 07:38 PM

pump

I have decided to have my pump rebuilt. No body will take my 160 for a core charge. And at this time I do not feel like dumping another $2000 - $2500 into my truckif I can have my pump "actually" rebulit for much less.

But here is what I just found out about my previous "pump" fix. The shop that looked at my injection pump is highly recommended shop in my town. And they are know to some of the people on this forum of doing excellent work. I had called the shop manager to find out what they had done last week. Simple gasket change to stop it from leaking...... But you guys know that story.....

So I called them today to see what would it cost to have the pump "actually" rebuilt. The manager of the shop from hearing my truck and the way it is driving thinks it might just be a simple DV or DV gasket issue. And I will have to have a new pump housing because of the forced AFC housing screw.

So on Monday Cummins is taking the pump out and sending it in for the "official" fix....

Anyway I was talking to the shop manager about about how the original shop scammed me by saying the pump was bench tested and was good. I found out today the original shop had broke my timing pin when setting the timing and that is why they had to take the pump out. So I go billed for them breaking my timing pin..... I have all this on paper.....

Boy when I get done with my truck....... The original shop is going to get burried in court with all my documents showing they lied, over charged and basically was trying and did scam me.....

Anyway, next week I will finally have closure on my trucks performance. Then I will focus on getting my money back....

Dave
Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

Any update?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:21 AM

Injection Pump

I had the pump taken off again and sent to a Injection Shop that would bench test it. They found that it had 5 bad DV gaskets. And all cylinders where out of calibration. I will get my truck back tomorrow. I will report back with how the truck runs...

Now I have all the proof I need to go after the first shop for their ignorance and miss leading diagnosing.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:24 AM

In regards to the studs, they need to be torqued and retorqued 3-5 times. This is because there are imperfections within the threads of the studs and nuts. Running them down and backing them off basically polishes them off up to eachother, so that you get an ACCURATE torque reading. Also, the 113 or 120 ft/lbs, is that with ARP moly lube, or regular engine oil lube? That makes a difference too.

I was going to suggest a REAL compression check. Antifreeze in bearings =/= good. At least in a gasser, I would imagine the same for a diesel.

What's the possibility of whoever decked the block did a crappy job and you have a less than perfect deck? Did they check it for flatness when the head was off?

Ruined rings could be caused by high EGT's among other things.

I still can't believe they tried to check leakdown by pouring WATER in the oil!

Dude I can't beleive how much that first shop was jerking you around! You need to go to a sticker shop and have some vinyl window stickers anti-first shop!

This is the reason I do my own work, I just can't trust anyone. You're taking this a lot better than probably must any of us would though, props to ya on that!

How much are they charging to rebuild your IP?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:02 AM

pump

How much are they charging to rebuild your IP?
$1022.00 dollars for the rebuild.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Finally...!!!

Picked my truck up from Cummins today. Truck runs excellent.......!!!!

Here is how my truck used to sound http://www.proworkz.com/dodge.wmv

And now http://www.proworkz.com/dodge2.wmv

Here is photo of professional work done on my AFC housing from the original shop. I saved the housing to use in court.

Dave
Old 11-21-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by West Coast
Picked my truck up from Cummins today. Truck runs excellent.......!!!!

Here is how my truck used to sound http://www.proworkz.com/dodge.wmv

And now http://www.proworkz.com/dodge2.wmv

Here is what some professional work done on my AFC housing from the original shop. I saved the housing to use in court.

Dave
Hey I like that u-joint bolt. It must have taken' a heck of alot to force that in! Have you talked to a lawyer yet? Curious if they think you have a good chance to win.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:19 PM

court

Chad I will most likely go to small claims court. That way the judge only goes off the evidence presented. I have more than enough documentation showing the first shops improper diagosing skills and mis leading practices.

But either way, I will win.....

Dave

Quick Reply: Amount of time for labor??? Calling Diesel shop mechanics