12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Amount of time for labor??? Calling Diesel shop mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amount of time for labor??? Calling Diesel shop mechanics

I need some info asap on amount of time needed for these repairs? Just total hours for each removal/install....

Timing checked and found has slipped?

IP removal and installation : rear of IP pump was leaking... Any idea what cost is involved in rear seals on IP replaced?

Timing adjusted after IP reinstalled?

Still running rough, then found out I had three bent push rod tubes:

New push rod tubes installed and valves re adjusted?

Still running rough, then found out my problem was a bad head gasket:

Head Gasket replacement and reinstalled with studs?

And to top this off shop tried to say I needed a new motor.... Then said motor was good....

Took my truck to them on the 5th of October and will get it back tomorrow.

Today they started working on getting the head back on with all parts at their shop. 1:30 until now, 7:30pm and they are still working on it....

At what point does a shop stop trying to get me to pay their payroll?

Thanks for the help guys. I want some idea of labor time when I go into their office tomorrow. I am tired of the old " hourly rate". Find out the problem, quote me a price and STICK TO IT...!!!!!!

They are coming up with $2600.00 and some change..

Dave
Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 PM
RCW

The time allowances assume everything is clean and the engine bay is not full of aftermarket toys and oddball components that have to be documented and removed, then reinstalled.

Timing checked and reset: Allow 2 hours for this if the shop is using an impulse box, or about 8 if it is using the old dial indicator method. This can be done in 45 minutes with an impulse box if the damper is already indexed, most are not. Once timing is properly set, the head being removed will not impact that.

IP removal and installation (I assume this is the lift pump): Allow two hours on the outside, and the pump should be replaced not renewed, the labor to screw around and to replace the seals will cost you much more than a new pump.

New push rods installed and valves adjusted: This depends on the shop, but I would allow two hours for an average condition engine, ten for a dirty engine with leaks all over the place and a loose gallery sidecover.

Headgasket: There is no easy answer on this one. If I found bent pushrods, 15.5 timing was being run, and a blown headgasket on a rig already equipped with studs, I would immediately stop and have a chat with the owner about driving habits. Figuring leadfoot syndrome was the cause. Allow an hour for that. Then a decent tech will spend at least an hour doing a thorough inspection after the head was off. If the shop has experience on a Dodge with a Cummins and knows how to use a body lift without disassembly of the front clip, it should take right at two hours to remove the head and do it correctly. If you were leadfooting the truck with a load I would expect to find broken valve seats on the exhaust valves, and likely a warped head. So, allow for replacement or repair of the old head. Reinstallation, retorquing the studs, and putting everything back in running order will be another 2-3 hours, again depending on what additional work is required.

I do not know what the going rate in your neck of the woods happens to be, but I would normally charge around $2 grand for the labor on a deal like this if everything were on track. That can easily double and even go up from there if there are other tweaks and problems to deal with, such as road salt corrosion.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:15 PM

IP removal and installation (I assume this is the lift pump)
RCW IP is Injection Pump.

As for lead foot. I am not concerned with how the truck came to this condition. I am concerned with a shop not finding all issues before work has started.

Head no rocker arm issues. Just 3 bent push rod tubes and in need of a valve adjustment.

I took my truck to the shop to get diagnosed quickly, fixed quickly and done right the first time. In the period of time the shop has had my truck. I could have fixed it my self....

Dave
Old 10-23-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
West coast where are you at??? I can hook a brother up with a great repair shop virtually anywhere in California!

Rick
Old 10-23-2006, 11:00 PM

Reno, Nevada

I live in Reno, Nevada......
Rick damage has been done. I will squash this out tomorrow with the shop.

Here is how things happened......:

I am actually leaving some other bull stuff out. But I wrote the above letter to keep track of things that have happened to show the shop tomorrow...

Old 10-23-2006, 11:07 PM

Can you make it to Sacramento Cummins West with your current configuration??

If not we can get a trailer an haul your truck there or to a performance shop nearby your choice.

Rick
Old 10-23-2006, 11:12 PM

truck

Rick truck will be back together tomorrow. I do not have issues with the parts that where fixed. I new my IP was leaking. I could see that. I knew my timing had slipped. You could tell with the trucks peformance. Head gasket was also noticeable. I looked at the head as soon as it came off. My main problem is the timing of finding the issues.

Replaced push rod tubes and readjusted vavles. Then found out bad HG. So I am getting double billed for that poor gestimate.

Rick my cell number is 775.232.8259. Call anytime. I would love to talk to you about any of this is you might have some suggestions. I am not one to get taken advantage of. But this shop must think I wear panties.....

Dave
Old 10-23-2006, 11:17 PM

Calling now!

Rick
Old 10-23-2006, 11:18 PM

west coast is the cummins shop certain that the bad headgasket was the source of the problem?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:44 PM

Hg

Plow I examined the head myself and I could tell it had a HG issue. And the gasket was blown out on #5 and #6.

I will report back tomorrow after I get my truck back....

Thanks guys...

Dave
Old 10-23-2006, 11:54 PM

Man I hope after all you have been through lately that thing purrs like a kitten when you get it back. Hopefully you and the shop can get things worked out too.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kemble
Man I hope after all you have been through lately that thing purrs like a kitten when you get it back. Hopefully you and the shop can get things worked out too.
Thanks Kemble and eveyone else that has replied. I have been very frustrated the last 3 weeks... But hell it could be worse... The shop could have told me that my muffler bearing had siezed up from the broken mugooder valve.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:38 AM

That is correct, that would have been much much worse. I died laughing when I read you're last post. Ifnothing else, when you get it back it should be ready set go for many more miles.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:52 AM

Ifnothing else, when you get it back it should be ready set go for many more miles.
Should be ready for about 500 HP with the new head gasket and studs....!!!! And if you did not read any of my other post:

Found I have a 96 motor, head and Injection pump in my 94. Motor had been decked and head had been worked over. Now with heavier valve springs, valve adjustment with new push tubes, timing at 15.5, new head gasket, 80 HP injectors, ATS manifold and Injection pump rebuilt I should be ready for some fun and good for another 500K.....

I just hope my glow plugs last with all the extra mods....

Here are few shots of what I am working with......

Old 10-24-2006, 01:57 AM

And thanks to Rick for calling me and giving me some advice...... Always good to get another Dodge Diesel guys oppinions.....

Thanks a bunch Rick...... I will report back tomorrow with how things turned out.....

Dave

Quick Reply: Amount of time for labor??? Calling Diesel shop mechanics