12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

'97 2WD NV4500 Speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering my sum total of diesel knowledge would easily fit on a 3" X 5" index card the 6 year old level is just about right for me....
Old 10-12-2006, 09:43 PM

Hang around here for a bit, and you'll soon be postin' with the best of 'em...........
Old 10-13-2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by JimmieD
Another wowser was the astonishing NV4500 slip yoke! Let's talk mass and motion!! Yipes
Glad to hear it made it Good luck getting her finished up!!

Chris
Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 AM

So could one put a pre-97 type speedo drive into a 98 and later transmission? I would assume that they would just mek the new sender fit the old housing, but you where assuming things can get you.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 AM

Wow, S2J, talk about a resurrection from the dead, what, is this Easter?

I'm not the one to answer your question directly but I'll mumble some more. Seems that somewhere around '86-'90 things changed to a fairly universal speedo drive gear & electronic sensor, fitting automatics or manuals. The threads on the gear drive part fit any Mopar auto trans from '72 to '01.

The gears in the gear drive may be changed for any chosen ratio & those gears are available online. The red gears are good for 4.1 rear with 265/75-16 tires.

You can use that same gear drive assembly to run a mechanical speedo cable all the way back to late 50's through 60's on up vintage, because the gear drive's outer threads match the older speedo cables. Also new speedo cables are available online.

Gear drive assyembly is Mopar P/N is 253608, and the electronic signal generator assembly is Mopar P/N is 56027014.

That 253608 gear drive is the stock '72-'01 Torqueflite part, which fits either mechanical or electronic setups, plus NV4500. The 56027014 Signal Generator is compatible from '93-'01 and as gmctd said, it outputs a signal that can be read by several aftermarket speedos.

I still have that gear drive 'sender' out of the A518 in my '00 NV4500 driving my stock '67 Dodge mechanical speedo. I had a CHP time me on radar at 40 mph and he said my speedo was deadnuts, perfectly accurate.

After all that blabbing I'd say the answer to your question is > Yes!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM

Exclamation Important gear drive question!

Gear drive assy. Mopar P/N is 253608, signal generator assy. Mopar P/N is 56027014. Here's the deal:

The gear drive is a stock '72-'01 Torqueflite part, which obviously means it accepts a cable drive mechanical speedo. This connects at that same EMT-style fitting in the normal manner.

The Signal Generator is a '93-'01 compatible part so any electronic speedo of that vintage, or aftermarket electronic meant to replace that vintage, will work!
Still trying to figure out something (as always).
The gears in my gear drive assy are stripped, so the speedo/cruise control are inop.

If the gear drive assy is a standard part, will one off any 72-01 Torqueflite tranny work? I had thought the internal gears in the assy were specific to the trans/differential setup. If that's true, it changes everything for me.
I've been trying to find a Cummins/Getrag/3.54 truck in junkyards and back yards for almost a year and have had no luck.

I even bought a replacement assy from a speedo shop in Dallas for $72. It was from a Ford but the guy said it might work, and if it didn't I could change out the drive gear in the transmission. With it, the speedo pegged at around 50 MPH. I just disconnected it and I'm back where I started.
I refuse to mess with the transmission itself since it has never given me any problems.

People keep telling me to just get a new truck, but I love this old beast. With only half a zillion miles on it, it should last many more years.
And it's paid for!
But I have to admit, a lot of the fun is gone without the speedo and cruise working.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ronny Bailey
Still trying to figure out something (as always).
The gears in my gear drive assy are stripped, so the speedo/cruise control are inop.

If the gear drive assy is a standard part, will one off any 72-01 Torqueflite tranny work? I had thought the internal gears in the assy were specific to the trans/differential setup. If that's true, it changes everything for me.
I've been trying to find a Cummins/Getrag/3.54 truck in junkyards and back yards for almost a year and have had no luck.

I even bought a replacement assy from a speedo shop in Dallas for $72. It was from a Ford but the guy said it might work, and if it didn't I could change out the drive gear in the transmission. With it, the speedo pegged at around 50 MPH. I just disconnected it and I'm back where I started.
I refuse to mess with the transmission itself since it has never given me any problems.

People keep telling me to just get a new truck, but I love this old beast. With only half a zillion miles on it, it should last many more years.
And it's paid for!
But I have to admit, a lot of the fun is gone without the speedo and cruise working.
Hi Ron,

On my truck with NV4500 I found that the speedo drive assembly for a Torqueflite was identical. The Torqueflite was from an electronic speedo van, but my '67 Town Wagon is of course mechanical speedo.

I removed the outer [screw-on] electronic sender part from the gear-drive speedometer assembly on torqueflite and used only that gear-drive output part installed in NV4500. Works perfectly. I even came upon a CHP running a radar speed trap and asked if he'd time me, he did and said my speedo was deadnuts at indicated 40mph.

Different gears are available for that speedo adapter part, selected by gear's color, matched for final drive ratio. Can't remember if my 4.10 gears are blue gear or red, but I think blue. Any Mopar dealership can get you the individual ratio gears, or the whole mechanical speedo adapter piece. Ratio gears are cheap.

I would hazard a guess that any mechanical speedometer adapter off any NV4500 or Torqueflite will screw on your Getrag, if you get the correct color gear to fit into that housing from Ma Mopar, to match your ratios.

The speedo plastic gears for different ratios were available on the net, at a Ford or Bronco website, looked but can't find it now. Wellman has good Borg Warner speedo adapters that might help in your project.

http://homepage.mac.com/gwellman/ratioadpter.htm
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 AM

Thanks so much for your info, Jimmie. Wish I could have replied sooner.

I'm as clueless as ever, so I still have questions....
Different gears are available for that speedo adapter part, selected by gear's color, matched for final drive ratio.
Several websites mention those different colored plastic gears, but I thought they were the gears that are inside the transmission. The part that's messed up goes between the transmission and the screw-on electronic sender unit. It's that L-shaped assembly, and it doesn't look like it can be opened up. I can turn the squared-off input shaft and the output side doesn't turn. The output on the Ford replacement unit that I bought does turn when I spin the input shaft.

The fact that the Ford adapter makes my speedo work (even incorrectly) tells me that the adapter is the only thing I need.

Is the colored gear you are talking about inside that L-shaped adapter or in the transmission itself?

Please excuse my ignorance in all this. It's the first time I've had to deal with an 'electronic' type of speedometer.