12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

4wd light stays on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wd light stays on?

Any thoughts on this?

The other day I was cutting wood and came up on a pretty slick hill so I had to put her in 4wd. When I got out of the woods I put her back in 2wd and headed down the road. About a mile or two down the road I looked down and noticed the 4wd light was still on. I pulled over and checked my 4wd shifter just to be sure and it was still in 2wd. I did a little spinning in some loose gravel and I'm in 2 wheel. 4wd and 2wd both work but for some reason the light stays on for a little while after I take it out of 4wd. The light will eventually go out but I've had it stay on any where from a 2 miles to 20 miles. I thought that the 4wd was engaged partly with vacuum (I could be wrong, I'm not 100% sure) and was just wondering if this was a vacuum problem or something like that and something might be engaged when it shouldnt be when I'm running down the road at 60mph. The trucks info is in my sig. Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 PM

Thumbs up

My 96 does the same and always has. I find shifting back into reverse and back to drive a coyuple times will turn it off. It is vacuum activated...there are two linesthat plug into a diaphram on the front axle (passenger side of the front diff) that engages or disengages the CAD (central axle disconnect). There is an electrical connector there as well that turns the light on or off. Stupid system really...moisture freezing can make things stick in the on or off position easily. Winter hit here pretty hard on Monday...one of my vacuum lines were found off when I went to use 4wd in 12" of snow! PITA! There is an after market cable operated CAD that is proven to be less problematic that I will put on next time mine calves. This is allows mechanical activation from the cab rather than vacuum operated. an added advaantage is the capability of putting the trxfer case in 4 lo but not engageing the front axle, giving you lo range 2wd for heavy loads on steep hills on dry pavement or something.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:30 PM

I just was afraid that it might still be in 4wd when I run down the highway. The place I cut wood at I have to pull out on to a busy highway and sometimes I need 4wd to get up on to the highway, so I cant really back up and go forward a couple times very well. If its just a light I wont worry to much about it, its just me being parnoid I guess. I have seen those aftermarket kits you talked about and may look into those if I have any more 4wd problems. Thanks Again