12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

47RE Not shifting into 2nd. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47RE Not shifting into 2nd. HELP!!!

Okay I've had this problem for awhile now, and I've posted this problem before and never got any helpful answers. Please help.
-Its a 96' 2500. Rebuilt tranny 30k ago
-Installed Goerend valve body
Symptoms:
-I pull out of my driveway and it won't shift into 2nd unless I keep RPM's below 2k, which is fine because I live on a quiet st so it usually will shift into 2nd.
-If I take a left I get right onto the highway, but if I go right there's a stop sign about 1/2mile away and 50% of the time I have to do a rolling stop or it will friggen shift into 2nd while I'm stopped and idling. After the stop sign the transmission works perfectly!? Every time!
-Situation #2. I stop at a gas station or a store and I need to pull out into traffic. I pull out and of course it doesn't shift cuz I don't have time to drive the required 20mph for 5 seconds. So I either pull over and wait for traffic to pass or make traffic wait until it shifts. Then of course it works flawlessly after that. If I just turn the truck off for 3 seconds it will default to running like above.
-Situation#3 I usually park my truck in my driveway by backing into it, it has a slight decline. If I park my truck, where I have to back out of the driveway it will sit for a few seconds while in reverse, then will back up about 4ft, lose tranny pressure I'm guessing then rolls forwards 3 ft then backs up 4ft again and disengages and repeats until I get out and drive forward. If I allow the truck to warm up a bit in idle for awhile it seems to help quite a bit with the reverse problem.
I just changed the fluid & filter yesterday, there was a 1/4" thick donut of microscopic metal/oil formed around the magnet. After refilling the tranny did the usual surging in reverse.
I'm guessing the problem is the tranny is losing prime & thought there was an anti-drianback valve somewhere in the tranny or in the pressure lines and I'm thinking thats my problem. I couldn't find any info about where or if it exists?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM
DTR question asker

When you first get in the truck have you tried letting it warm up for just a little bit with the shift lever in neutral?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM

Doesn't anyone know what wrong with my tranny?

I haven't tried sitting in nuetral, but I thought Dave at Goerends said that his VB rebuild would allow the tranny to charge itself while in park. AND aren't trucks suppose to just drive normal without warming up in nuetral?
After my fluid change yesterday it runs much worse. I adjusted the low-rev band according to my Chiltons manual and now it shifts, when it actually does, with a terrible hesitation or miss. I'm starting to really hate my truck. I had to pick my son up today at school and I couldn't even back out of the driveway. Its almost like theres not enough tranny fluid in the pan. I added a 4 qts after the change and then probably another 1.5qts after that. It showed a little high on the stick. When I finally made it out of the driveway it stayed in first for about a mile! effin cool. then when it finally shifted, it seemed to slip or jump around a little. Before it would run fine after being a pita. I can't wait until I get a 3rd generation!!! But I need this truck to work for a couple more months.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
throttle position sensor TPS, one or two other things to do with the trans, loose wire by the ECM module between fire wall and airfilter. keep looking, i'm dealing with it too today, you are like the 5 person today with problems here.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

hi
may be a bad piston seal on the low/reverse servo not holding psi when cold .
remove valvebody and apply 25 psi air preasure , if it does not apply band tight replace the seal or broken woren piston .

on secon thought get a 0-400lb psi gauge and some small hyd hose with 1/8 pipe thread one end and screw it into the servo test port and put the gauge in the cab and watch what happenes when you back up .

steady psi prob means band too loose !

varing psi = one of the above problems or a sticking / dirty valve in valvebody !
Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 AM

i would say output speedsensor on trans is hosed, after 20 mph if there is no speed signal from that sensor it startsto use the sensor on the rear end