12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Gently Used 12V

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tire info Rare1.

Results are in for my safety and as I expected my upper balljoints pretty worn out. I have ordered Premium upper and lower balljoints along with a set of front coils (I heard this can be ^%$%$%$#@## dangerous to install, how does it compare to compressing a coil for your car shockaborbers??) for this weekend. Brakes and tranny are in very good condition and the dreaded KDP has been secured sometime in the past.

I have also a question regarding diagnostic tool, my friend does a lot of sidejobs at home, his shop's only problem is no lift, apart from that he is extremely well equipped along with a very expensive diagnostic machine which he keeps in the house (he came back from the house carrying it, I asked if he had a good reason to keep in the house and he replied "I have 10000 reasons hehehe as he proceeded to install and use his Nissan chip to check out my Maxima), once I find out what make his is would it be worth my while to purchase a "Cummins" chip for future references. It is like $250 Cdn to get a readout in a diesel shop in Hamilton, haven't checked anywhere else.

Serge
Old 04-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vaughn MacKenzie
Congrats on the new truck serge

I recently brought home a '98 12-valve, a 2-wheel drive as well. Mine's a shortbed Club Cab

http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index...e=post&id=5630
man, I wish my 98 was a club instead of a quad! almost got my hands on a white one a while back, but it slipped through my fingers
Old 04-08-2006, 12:29 AM

Question

I forgot to ask Motorama, where is the steering column?

After driving the truck for 3 days, I got home realized I had very few beers for my Friday ritual and starting getting ready to go back outside and head out to the beer store when my wife pulled in and parked behind the truck.

I wisely took off in her car (although I wanted her to let me back out and rumble away), a Maxima felt like a Mini-Cooper, gripping the steering wheel of the car was like drinking out of my Mom's tea cups back home. It would have been nice to rumble into the beer store during the beer "rush hour", will have to time it better next time.

Just found out my friend's diagnostic machine was upgraded to passenger vehicle diesels, he just hasn't had the chance to use it, I graciously offered up black beauty for her own extreme makeover.

On a another note I found out this afternoon that after-market power-loc doors are available (would sure come in handy when trying to unlock passenger door will strapped in, I am short about a 1/2"). Will have a alarm/disabling system installed along with remote.

Now that I know a little more about diesel, i.e. wait till it tells you to start (one smart truck) it up, unfortunately there is no light which tells me to shut it off. .

Humour aside (at least I think I'm funny "these MM's are a blast", too easy to use), after a 40 minute commute @100km/hr what is a safe shut-off period, a few minutes? (heard from a guy today how he damaged his turbo-charger after a 10 hour haul when he shut it off to quick).

Was thinking the remote start might be productive both winter and summer (fire it up from a distance and shut it down also after a cool off period).
Old 04-08-2006, 02:04 AM

If anyone is ever having problems in the Hamilton area, I strongly recommend Taylor Diesel (am I allowed to post contact info??). After talking with my buddy I realized that they could have hosed me pretty good (new Cummins owner who thought a tune-up was in order and please don't even ask), after an hour or so Fred one of the mechanics, comes in and asks me into the shop. His 1st question is why would I run a diagnostic when the truck runs fine, 2nd is why do a tranny servie when the tranny is fine.

I told him about my limited diesel knowledge and then quickly realized from his comments that I didn't need a diagnostic test , as for the tranny, the knock I had felt that particular morning must have been the fact that the truck hasn't run in that gear for awhile since when he tried test drove everything was fine, no more knocks since. .

I asked about some type of additive and he mentionned Stanadyne. He referred to the fuel changes when they dropped sulphur level in fuels and really #$R$#@!^ up a lot of trucks. It looks like in Canada it will be here very shortly (something else I have to look up) further reduction in sulpfur levels. I guess this Stanadyne is pretty good stuff, will try out 5 smaller bottles (had no big bottles so gave me 5 for same price). @1/2 bottle/tank.

His only concern was my blow-by, have printed out a Cummins tech paper on it, and we will do our own investigation.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:23 PM

You know you are aging gracefully when the hangover from the night before is becoming as powerful as fun you had the night before, (it was still worth it), thankfully only one of my buddies popped in, will get the chainsaws humming tomorrow, today was just clearing cobwebs (not in the yard either ), and putt about the yard, gorgeous day, bit to cold to wash my truck (my wife thinks I am nuts, "you never talk about washing the car")

Here is what happened to my buddy when he disrespected my "Black Beauty"
still on the coffee, straight up no nothing (seriously officer ).

Old 04-09-2006, 11:29 AM

Sad day my friends, had to drop off my "Black Beauty" at my buddy's house, will pick up parts on way home from work tomorrow, probably take 4 nights. The carport seems so empty time to play "a good ole country music truck tune". But don't worry "she'll be back" brand new just raring to go.

We will be installing upper and lower ball joints "TRW"
Springs by "Rockford"
Have 2 Monroe Reflex part # 91191 (told salesguy I use the truck for driving into work, use it for my gear around the docks and hauling home used clean dunnage). I asked my buddy about changing them, he said "while we are there he will take a look, he thinks they are probably still good). Any info on parts good or bad would be appreciated.

Have gathered a lot of "info on blow-by". I figure the undercarriage work will take around 8 hours Cdn (guess I got used to expressing everything Cdn, does not mean 10 US hours .

Blow-by diagnostic should be interesting, my friend reminds me of that eccentric doctor in the TV show "House". He is very anxious to begin his mechanical (I was going to use autopsy but she's not a see what happens when you watch to much CSI ] trouble shooting.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this subject "un gros merci mes amis".

Will post when I have some free time, unfortunately my "Cummins honeymoon" is now over (I told my wife that it ranks 2nd to our own, and she said "good answer"

What a wonderful week it as been. Now on to my leafless vicitms, the husqi wants to whine and its a beautiful day.

mais oui "la vie est belle"
Old 04-09-2006, 10:25 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tab that Dowel pin. mine came out on the drive home from buying the truck and cracked the timing cover. 130k miles
Old 04-14-2006, 12:10 PM

After a technical snag with lower ball joints, (TRW went in and out, had to go to Moog), my truck is now ready to roll. What a difference with a new front end, I thought it drove well before now I think it drives magnificantly.

Ran out of time on the blow by issue, will investigate next weekend. Now that I got the truck back, time to go to the brush dump, used to have a Dakota short box and it would take 3 trips, my beast can make it in one, was surprised to discover the brush dump open. I saw a truck full of brush heading in the dump direction, my curiousity got the best of me (plus I was enjoying the drive, in the truck of course) and followed him.

Time to go to work, than I can play while my wife goes

Bonne journee
Old 04-15-2006, 11:06 AM

From past experiences dealing with the DMV and all the documents required, I made sure to call and inquire with a DMV rep, told the rep that my temporary permit was going to expire before I got the vehicle back to the garage in order for them to confirm work had been completed regarding safety. Asked if it was possible to extend it and they said no problem. I then told them that I had my insurance slip and the vehicle VIN search package, they said I was fine. Did search on internet and discovered one open a 1/2 hour drive away, they opened at 9:00 AM and I was waiting at the door quite anxiously.

Present my papers to the clerk who asks where the ownership is, I mention to her that the clerk in Brantford who gave me my first temporary never gave it back after taking my $20.00 for the VIN search. The woman in Cambridge says she shouldn't have done that, and unfortunately for me she cannot help me, thankfully no one could understand French for I lost it,
I apoligized for my misconduct saying I wasn't mad at her but at the idiot in Brantford, when I am angry I am very sarcastic, and mentioned that in my line of work incomptence is rewarded with terminations.
Once they heard my story they sympathized with me, one of the ladies then mentions that regardless of the ownership, you are entitled to only one temporary permit until the ownership is in your name, which can only happen once the safety is passed. Regardless I was screwed, by this point calm had prevailed but for one brief second, a vision of Michael Douglas going into a store to get change and then JUST LOOSING IT came to mind. When I got home my wife mentioned a story about someone losing it on the road, pulling out a pellet pistol and you guessed it is now in deep deep ****. I am glad the fury of the bull was not unleashed this morning. I am sure some of you out there have had similar experiences, I can take a lot but just can't stand incompetence.

Luckily for me my friend will get me a safety from his place of work, only problem is I wanted to show of truck to the family on Easter, was supposed to work on Sunday, but some idiot of a Captain was 2' overdraft and couldn't get through the locks outside of Montreal, the ship isn't due until Monday night. That will give us 4 ships in 3 days talk about on the job training, so far I have walked 2 FMT ships which unfortunately ownly had 5000 MT between them and all steel coils which are basically no brainers.

Feel much better now thanks for the oppertunity to vent, since I am not working tomorrow will spend the day in back yard, there is a 2' diameter maple stump monster with a bulls eye on it, time to fire up the huski again.

Anyone know if you can spell check, my English is sometimes rusty
Old 04-16-2006, 09:32 AM

Joyeuse Paques

Finally discovered my axle ratio, turns out it is 3.55, which is better for fuel milage if I am not mistaken.
Can wait till I get the truck plated, very hard to have a CTD in driveway and not be able to use it. I know this might sound crazy but I have a strong urge to fire it up, just cause I can . The truck sure does bring out the kid in me, just love it.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:02 AM

Talking Tires

Congrats on the new purchase. It is too bad you're not excited!

I know the feeling. Read the signature below.

I am very happy with the 265's, but wish I had gone to 285. They are a little taller, would look better (a buddy has them on his), and might get a teensy bit better mileage.

The Cooper tires have deep semi aggressive tread, but not much road noise.

OK, Now off to put another 100 miles on it today!
Old 04-22-2006, 09:15 AM

Talking

Yahoooo, I am now officially a CTD owner, put the plate on Tuesday and have been rumbling down the mountain ever since into one of the best jobs (mining comes in very close) I have ever had, and like Red's Cowboy says "its a shame I'am not more excited . When my wife read that she said "thats the understatement of the week, she's been hearing a lot about a CTD, and has know noticed the sounds of a diesel engine, had to give her a little Cummins brainwashing with regards to the DM and PS that not all diesel rumbles are created equally)

Wow what a week, 80 hours and hundreds of steps, gained another inch on my belt and my wife even noticed it. Now I guess I know how they feel when we (positively ) comment on their weight loss.
We did one ship which took 2 days to discharge due to some misstowed cargo from Turkey. Cold rolled coils are shipped in a foil like packaging to prevent any water contact (rust appears very fast) are pricey compared to hot rolled coils, the Greek Captain was very paranoid while we moved the 39 coils out onto the dock, to get at our cargo. Of cours we had to re-load said coils (approximately 800 MT) and my boss was quite pleased as this was $$$thousands of gravy dinero.
Wednesday saw the arrival of 2 vessels, the Superintendant doing my training told me to take the 7700 MT cargo of hot rolled coil vessel, as it was going to be a more interesting discharge. Apart from a few mistakes (best ship to learn on is a coil ship) like not thinking ahead to coordinate with Ship's 1st Officer on working the hatches (had four of them), I learned you just can't pick and choose where your going so I ended up paying 4 hours for any extra man when the braided chains had to be used to get under the wing of the hatch combing. Next time we break out with chains, I will make sure to physically look into each hatch in order to determine if braided chains will be required.
Things went well and we averaged 265 MT/hour (finished around 14:15 and it started raining at 15:00 and the men will not work in a downpour (steel and water make for very slippery conditions).

Man I love my Job (and I love my TRUCK)
Old 04-24-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Red's Cowboy
Congrats on the new purchase. It is too bad you're not excited!

I know the feeling. Read the signature below.

I am very happy with the 265's, but wish I had gone to 285. They are a little taller, would look better (a buddy has them on his), and might get a teensy bit better mileage.

The Cooper tires have deep semi aggressive tread, but not much road noise.
!
The tire guy who supplies our machines at work quoted Toyo 265's HT @$200.00 installed/tire. I mentioned going to a 285 and he didn't recommend it (speedo readings, higher etc.) just curious as to other opinions, I figure if a 285 can do it why not.

As for my truck well as we all know I have grown quite fond of my "Black Beauty". Will have my alarm and disabler installed tomorrow along with a remote starter, and lo and behold the technology available, I'm also getting power-loc doors installed. No more reaching over to unlock passenger side, while trying not to throw your shoulder out of joint .
Toby Keith might Love his bar, but I love my truck more.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:24 AM

AS-2300TW 2-way FM remote starter and alarm from HDX software along with the power lock doors, sweet . I really enjoy the door locks, amazing how technology can improve our life at times.
Start it up and shut her down from a distance of up to 800m, (works from Pier 8 to Pier 10 which is about 500m linear distance).
Left my window rolled down and asked one of the guys to get something out of truck, we stood back and waiting, the guy is quite high strung, and did it ever startle him when the alarm lit up, poor guy but we where all .
Anyone interested in similar system let me know, they guy works out of Oakville right in the heart of the Golden Horseshoe and has excellent pricing along with warranty support.

Does anyone know if your allowed to post contact info in our threads?

On a different note, I have noticed some members with ID`s of their road kills, not an aggressive driver by any means but after getting cut off by an idiot in a little Benz compressor I now have my first story. I can sympathize with truckers for of all my vehicles this is by far the heaviest, and unfortunately people with small cars don`t realize that you can never slow down as fast as them.

I leave work and climb up the Niagara Escarpment on the `403, after getting ****** cut off, I signal to get into right lane accelerating all the time for I have decided to go around him, I notice the Benz trying to accelerate also but he had nothing left on the climb, CTD still had lots left. When I looked at the speedo (my baby was flying), I realized that I had overreacted to the situation and if the wife would have been around she would have got right ticked off at me (for good reason ).

Did it ever feel good to see the look on the idiots face.

What a wonderful vehicle, LONG LIVE THE CTD right over those idiots.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:08 PM

Well so much for a long weekend, ended up getting a call saying I have to get lifting gear ready for a series of heavy lifts (feeling no pain last night). My gear man was also on a long weekend, luckily he also loves his job and didn't mind working also, for between the 2 of us, we managed to get a 100 MT spreader geared up (very good safe worker, best gearman around which makes my job easier), all the while getting a machine bleed after someone ran it dry (not 1st time) . Turned out to be a crazy day that flew by. Being last minute and all (ships almost never arrive early, except for this Sunday, 9 days early) I had to arrange delivery of our gear to the Thorold operation, our normal shippers where all swamped so of course my Black Beauty kicked it up a notch and delivered a fully geared up 100 MT spreader approximately 4' long with head wires, will bring the balance Monday Early AM.

Got on the bulk scale and weight of load was 1018kg (around 2200 lbs)
Tires are rated 1280 kg @ 80 psi, so I put in 70psi.

Once I dropped the load I tried it for a brief moment at that psi. Went back down to 45 psi. Just a thought on optimum tire psi for maximum mpg. I am from the generation that switched over to metric in mid 70's. Do every thing else in metric normally but still convert to mpg, for some reason never got used to l/100 km.

What a truck, I was cruising down the slow lane and any accelerations where effortless, RPM constant. Average 21 mpg with 2/3 highway 1/3 towns.

Well tomorrow I am off so beware, the smilies are lurking.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Gently Used 12V