12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

1995 47RH need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 47RH need help

alright guys my trucks a 1995 had the tranny slightly built about 8000 miles ago and now it will shift up through the gears fine but once I get to around 45 I have to let off a lil then get back into it and I will hit over drive the once I get up to about 55 /60 and let out slightly it will kick out of over drive and it’s just been kicking in and out of gear and idk why could it be the tps, speed sensor or what?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:56 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
This is a pretty common symptom of a bad TPS.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
And also of electrical noise in the system- caused by bad grounds, bad alternator brushes, bad contacts, corroded battery cables etc. Do a search for AC noise here and also for "ripple" - you'll find a lot :-)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Alpine Ram is all over the problem here.

I have the same truck and had the same problem.

Before doing much troubleshooting, I had to address a bad battery terminal on the driver's side battery. Replaced the terminal with a crimp on clamp and cleaned up all the wire ends and "Voila", my problem went away.

Look at everything he stated and you will find something not right.

Also, there are a group of wires on the clamp I mentioned, all small gauge wires feeding a variety of sources. Remove these wires from the batter clamp and relocate them under and fuse panel right beside the battery. This keeps the wires "healthier" for the long run and helps prevent electric gremlins from moving into your truck.

Good luck
Old 03-16-2019, 05:56 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronco95
Alpine Ram is all over the problem here.

I have the same truck and had the same problem.

Before doing much troubleshooting, I had to address a bad battery terminal on the driver's side battery. Replaced the terminal with a crimp on clamp and cleaned up all the wire ends and "Voila", my problem went away.

Look at everything he stated and you will find something not right.

Also, there are a group of wires on the clamp I mentioned, all small gauge wires feeding a variety of sources. Remove these wires from the batter clamp and relocate them under and fuse panel right beside the battery. This keeps the wires "healthier" for the long run and helps prevent electric gremlins from moving into your truck.

Good luck
Relocating the wires is a good idea, but you need to take care not to modify the fusible links- they will not perform correctly if you shorten them- basically shortening a fusible link does the same as replacing a 5A fuse with a 15A fuse.. not a good idea.

And the TPS can also be the culprit- but please check the bushings in the bellcrank before replacing the TPS, bad bushings will kill a new TPS quickly. (Never forget we talk about 20+ year old vehicles and usually very cheap parts.. but diagnosis may be finicky..)

Old 03-16-2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
Relocating the wires is a good idea, but you need to take care not to modify the fusible links- they will not perform correctly if you shorten them- basically shortening a fusible link does the same as replacing a 5A fuse with a 15A fuse.. not a good idea.

And the TPS can also be the culprit- but please check the bushings in the bellcrank before replacing the TPS, bad bushings will kill a new TPS quickly. (Never forget we talk about 20+ year old vehicles and usually very cheap parts.. but diagnosis may be finicky..)
I didn't have to shorten any wires. Simply moved them from the battery terminal to the post under the fuse panel cover.

I haven't thought about the bell crank bushings. I have a new TPS I bought 12 years ago, still riding in the cargo organizer at the back of the cab, new in the box.