12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12V Throttle/TPS adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 11:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I started pulling my wires out till I saw the hassle involved and opted to just add three new ones and abandon the old wires where they were. Set met back all of a buck, Had to make six splices. If I was to do it again would spend a little more money on shielded wires.

The problem isn't that the wires are too small, it's interference caused by other electrical device wires in the same harness. Since the tps is working with low voltages any interference can have a major effect. I noticed more jumping out of od with the a/c on, figured it was because the a/c wires are in the same harness as the tps wiring.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to agree on the wires are not to small for the voltage it is thickness of the coating that lets interference in or out, I WHOLE hearted agree with the ease of just running new as my old fingers will testify to that . I started in on it three different times and quit, but then the pitbull in me got to messing with my head and called me a chicken for not succeeding,Ha Ha so I was as determined as a bull in the next pasture to one full of heifers and got after it,Ha Ha. It was a bit of a pain but very interesting to see the mess that is contained in the harness. Goodluck to all, Rick
Old 11-26-2004, 08:40 PM

Verified my TPS voltage today as I am having TC shudder issues. At idle it was set at .88 volts at WOT 3.5 volts. Took the TPS out removed the steel sleeves elongated the holes and put the sleeves back in. DAH ! Thought I should put the sleeves back in because of the compresion of the bolts on the plastic TPS housing. . Was able to get the idle voltage up to 1.02 volts. Ran out of time will drive it ASAP. In orger to test the voltage I used Infidels method of stripping back two wires and inserting a couple of strands into the female plug. I have to say it tried my patience but was worth the effort. BTW held the two wires to the female plug with a zip tie. That made it a bit easier.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:06 PM

I better slow down the typing. Do a spell check and verify before I hit the go button. Female plug should be male plug. Freudian slip I guess ?
Old 11-27-2004, 09:17 PM

You will find the detailed procedure for adjusting the TPS on: http://dodgeram.org/
MY local Cummins Repair center finally found what was causing my 96 CTD W/AT to hang in gear, ie: not upshift. They found a small seal was blown out in the valve body. They replaced it with a heavier replacement and all is well. None of the nearby Dodge dealers could find what was wrong.