12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12v or PSD? first diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've pulled with both 7.3L and the 12 valve. The 7.3L is a good solid engine, and ford makes a good solid truck, there is a ford F250 OBS website that goes through what you want to look for when buying. These and the 24 valve were the 3 trucks that I was looking at, but I could never find a decent 7.3L X-cab with a 5spd and then I found a 98 QC 12 valve and have been happy ever since.

Pull wise, I liked the dodge more, it seems to have more umph off the line, and feels like it holds speed better, but the ford stock could accelerate on flat ground better, and get about 2mpg less.

So, I'd go with the 12 valve, but a 7.3L 5spd is a great truck, love the way they look, love the fact that you can get a crew cab in them as well.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look on portland and seattle Craigslist, you will eventually find what you are looking for, there seem to be a lot of dodge diesels in this neck of the woods. If you are OK with the 1st gen body style, you should have no trouble at all finding a nice 5 speed dodge in your price range. 2nd gen body, well it will take a little longer to find, but they are out there.

I've always been pretty partial to straight six engines, and the cummins is really, really built to last. I just did a bunch of work on mine and it was easy to work on, and obviously built to last, more like a piece of heavy equipment than a pick up truck engine.

I've done no fueling mods to mine and it tows like crazy.

I've been considering getting a second truck, and was looking at Fords for a while, because they are so much cheaper than the cummins powered dodges, and there are lots of extended and crew cab fords around. But in the end, I think I will just try to hold out for another Cummins.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 PM

i have an 02 PSD and like it a lot. stock for stock, i think a PSD will have a bit more power than a 12v. we've always gotten decent mileage with our stock PSDs (95,99) but the 12v will do better.
if you're going to modify, there is no comparison. Cummins all the way. the 12v is probably one of the best motors ever made - the only one i like better is the common rail Cummins.
the injection system on the PSD is the biggest difference (other than engine architecture)- the injectors are fired by a high pressure oil pump and to replace stock injectors it's around $1300-1500. not cheap.
i'm currently looking around for a 12v to play with. the ford is a great truck, but like i said, when it comes to turning them up, there is no comparison. go for the 12v.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the cummins will be the way for sure. My neighbor really likes both his, and was a diesel mechanic so i'm sure he'd know all the tricks to get it tuned just right (not that this site doesn't have them all ). I like how u guys accept newbies like me, lol, it proves the dodge cummins is somthing worth spreading the news about. now the search begins for a 2nd gen...
Old 02-07-2007, 10:15 PM

What I REALLY want is a mid seventies powerwagon extended or crew cab 1 ton, with a 12 valve Cummins and a NV 5 or 6 speed....

I'm actually going to look at a mil surplus M880 this weekend...
Old 02-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Banned

I search craigslist atleast twice a day, so i'm sure somthing will show up. I got a great deal on a yamaha R1, and my chevy through there. I might hit up all the used dealers to see how many test drives I can get in first though, lol.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM

this one is close to your budget...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/car/271845993.html
Old 02-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

It does come down to personal preference, but I have had a 97 PSD, and the 07 12v, and I wouldn't trade this truck for two of my old Fords. But the 7.3 is still a good engine. I think the low end torque of the Cummins is what really makes it shine over the PSD, especially for towing.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:43 PM

Well, in all fairness, the 7.3 PSD is a good old engine, in a good old truck. The ride is like that of a farm tractor but it actually does have a suspension under it. You might like one, and it would be worth your while to drive one, then....

Go drive a 5-speed 12V Dodge. You'll find it doesn't ride (quite) like a farm tractor, you can turn around in less that 40 acres, you can actually hear your radio under acceleration in the cab, and the words "driver oriented" and "ergonomics" were not completely foreign concepts to Chrysler designers, even in 1994.

Oh...and what's that under the hood? Oh -- it looks like the engine from a semi! Since few semi's have a V-8 (and there's lots of reasons for that) it's nice to see a real diesel under there. It even sounds like one, too. How many miles on that truck, 400,000? No problem! Seems I'm biased, eh?

I WILL say this, I wish this truck had rear disc brakes. If the braking's suitable for you, it will be great. But be sure to test this out.

Also - consider a 3500 model, seems there are more of them with a 5-speed, usually higher miles, and a bit less initial price. Sounds like you run enough load to justify a 6-wheel beast. Enjoy!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:22 AM

buy a 12v .Dont be scared of high miles either,but like any vehicle normal wear must be looked at.The motor may last forever literally,if the thing is looked after.Its the auto tranny's and the front wheel bearings that are a pain.I had a upgraded tc in mine and the tranny is awesome.If I were you and wanted to tow alot I would buy a 94-98 12v 5spd before any other truck.They are so easy to work on and they will not be maintenence free.My 12v auto has never left me stranded in 100k and thats in the extreme elements sometimes
Old 02-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by woodrat
this one is close to your budget...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/car/271845993.html
I saw that one, but i get the feeling it was used pretty hard in a contruction company or somthing when he says, "still alot of work left in her" But hey, i'm use to gas engines, and cummins like to be worked, so it might be worth checking out.

thanks for keeping the info coming, i like getting everyones opinion on somthing like this. I love when a ram pulls up next to u with that turbo hum and you think it's some huge dump truck or somthin but it's just a dodge 3/4 ton, lol.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
They are so easy to work on and they will not be maintenence free.
when u say not be maintenence free, what does it take to keep a diesel running for along time. Other than changing the fluids and filters, and maybe valve adjustments.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 PM

Just a Dodge?

JUST A DODGE! Thems fightin words!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:22 PM

I wouldn't worry about the engine having been overworked, but you might expect to do brakes, bearings and shocks on a truck like that. I did read something recently about "maintenance free" wheel bearing sets on some of the 2nd gen and up trucks, but I don't know much more than that. Mine has good old fashion greasable and replacable roller bearings like all trucks back to the beginning of time.

I've had my truck for a little over 80,000 miles, and until a couple of weeks ago, I had done nothing to the engine but fluids and filters ( I have a coolant bypass filter as well ). I just had to replace the leaky oil cooler which caused a big mess, but was reasonably easy to fix. While it was down, I tabbed the KDP and adjusted the valves, which had never been done in the time that I had the truck. They were all about .003-.004" loose and adjusting them made the truck run quieter and smoother.

The maintenance and work that I have mostly had to do has involved brakes, steering and suspension and a couple of sets of u joints. and some electrical.

I wouldn't be afraid of looking at that truck at all, and if you are set on a 2nd gen for the money you have, you will be looking at more well worked trucks than ones that have only been to the office parking lot.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Other things to be aware of in the five speed trucks is that apparently the getrag likes to have its fluid over filled and checked frequently and the factory NV4500s have a problem with the fifth gear pressing off of the shaft if they are towed hard and lugged in fifth. You can buy a replacement trans that has had this problem fixed from numerous vendors.

Quick Reply: 12v or PSD? first diesel