12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12v or PSD? first diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DL1221
assuming this is a fair comparison (which I don't know that it is), which engine do you think is built to last the longest?
It's not. It's apples to oranges. The cummins may "look" stronger but you also need to consider the entire physics of the engine, or the fact that the PSD has 2 more cylinders to produce x amount of power, which means the power per cylinder as well as pressure per cylinder will be less.

That's just one crude example, though.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doctor Detroit
I have been monitoring this and I must say a couple of things. The Cummins is a good engine but it will not last forever. If you read these forums too many guys want to own a diesel and run it like a gasser. They want to put too much weight on, drive too fast and peg redline.

You said at one point that your gasser pulled some grade at 30 mph and could not accelerate beyond that. Well what do you expect a diesel to do? Do you think a diesel will pull the grade at 40 mph and be capable of accelerating to 55 mph? Depending upon the grade it ain't gonna happen.

Why do you think large trucks pull grades at a constant reduced speed? Depending upon: load, gradient, engine HP, transmission ratios, tire size, ambient temperature, altitude, rear end ratio and road condition, you may not fly up a given grade.
I never rev my 350, i drive like a grandma pretty much. But when towing with it, I have to rev it to get up any kind of hill. Thats the reason i want a diesel like the cummins, because the torque is right where I want it, at the 1700-2300 range, they get ALOT better gas milage than if I were to get a 454 or some bigger gas tow engine. I understand when towing your not gonna be winning any race, but towing with the 350 is putting so much stress on it and on me, because I can tell it hates me for it. I guess it's not really a matter of being able to accelerate up a hill with a load, it's more being able to climb the hill feeling comfortable. I'd get a 454 but i don't think 9mpg empy would be to fun. I tow slow, but everyone I talk to says the cummins will tow the wieght I tow (9k) like it's not there. Thats alot more than I can say for my 350, i know it's there every second and it's very uncomfortable. I'm sure a ford would be fine for my needs, but after all the reading on both sides, the cummins seems to get better milage, less problems, longer life, and with a couple small mods more power than the rest.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've considered fords too, but I like the cummins for its simplicity and the fact that it is a straight six, making in easier to work on. I don't like the idea of glow plugs and wires under the valve covers, like PSDs have, for one thing.

I know what you are talking about with the 350. I towed with my parents' gas Ford truck with a 351W and it just did not have the oomph necessary to climb a hill with a heavy load on. It hated it. my dodge is a good puller and I also don't race it up hills, I drive it like a truck. Slow steady speeds, no wild revving. Just basically keeping it where it sounds happy and I can tell you that the cummins "happy zone" will do a lot more work that a gas small block V8 will in its "happy zone". You are on the right track looking for a cummins.

here's some good articles on fords' weaknesses and dodges' weaknesses. This guy seems pretty level headed and has a lot of good articles on his website.

http://thepowershop.com/index.php?pr=What_Fords
http://thepowershop.com/index.php?pr...troke_Troubles
http://thepowershop.com/index.php?pr=What_Dodges
Old 02-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Banned

thanks for the links, all the info helps.

Like u said ^, I drive my truck like a truck, i don't want to rev it to redline or anything like that. I'd build a 383 stroker and put it in a 2000lbs car if i wanted to rev somthing out. I just want low down torque to pull around with. My 350 had me stuck on a steep gravel driveway with my excavator in tow, and i had to slide back down because i didn't have enough torque to climb it. Talk about a scary situation where a cummins would have saved me. Thats a main reason I'm upgrading, it's just not safe in some situation to tow without enough torque to keep you moving.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 PM

Oh I have done the slide back downhill while towing something thing.... That is no fun!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Banned

got my heart broken today... there was a 95 4x4 5spd 2500 with 177k miles for sale for $7500, it had been for sale since december on nwwheelers, and i get in touch with him today and it just sold on saturday.... I was almost 100% sure it would still be for sale..lol

What about this thing... rebuilt title and front end work in the same sentence don't make me happy, but the price does..lol, thats a ok deal if it's all repaired right.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/car/280944180.html
Old 02-20-2007, 12:03 AM

nice price. i would have it scoped out carefully though, and try to find out exactly what kind of damage it was that caused the reconstructed title. $1500 worth of front end work is good news though, means that much less work you will need to do.

But that low price would make me want to proceed cautiously...
Old 02-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Banned

yea, they can hide frame cracks, and all the small things that can cause parts to wear out fast... But it looks great, and it's got all u could ask for, even low milage. I'm planning on whatever truck I get to keep it until the cab falls off, lol. So resale value wouldn't be top on my list, but i also don't want to get burned.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
EMD prime movers are actually grouped into a few families that are easy to remember. Most prolific are the 567, 645, and 710 series of 2 cycle engines. Like Detroit Diesel, the numbers refer to the number of cubic inches per cylinder. Then it is just a matter of whether the engine in particular has 8, 12, 16, or 20 cylinders.

EMD also introduced the 265H 4 cycle engines in 1997, although they have yet to really catch on.

As far as Cummins vs Powerstroke, while it is true that nothing lasts forever, it has been my observation that a lot of Powerstrokes are pretty ragged out by 2-300,000 miles whereas most Cummins are barely starting to clear their throats. Just my opinion, of course.

EMD shares a similar GM background with Detroit Diesel. Both being 2 cycle they chose the same designation formula. I think I listed more than enough Detroits there was no point in listing the EMD's. The new H at 6000 HP is interesting and I even thought it would have been more successful. However, GE bumped EMD a few years ago and the H may not be the unit to swing the market back.

I have a friend, who is easily the best diesel mechanic I have ever known, he owns three Ford PSD's. One he bought new about '88. He added the Banks turbo. It has over 300,000 miles and it is still running great.

The B series is a good engine. I like them. These are still throw away engines. I would hate to see this guy buy a high mileage unit and have it take a dump on him. I may have a different view. But then I have rebuilt my share of Cummins diesels.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:06 AM
Banned

every engine has it's time. But these cummins are built for the long haul, the internal parts are made for it. But even with that, i know any engine can let you down. I keep my eye out for spare engines, and a replacement 12v would run about $2000 here, so I have that in mind. I've done alot of research, and the majority have nothing but good things to say about the cummins, plus my nieghbor loves them and is a retired diesel mechanic, so thats a good backup plan.

A single injector for a ford goes for $300, so if they need replaced, it's just like buying a 12v from a junkyard, so my thinking is why not go for the simpler motor. I appreciate the feedback though, because i always have a open mind to listen to people who have experience in this stuff.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 AM

hang in there... a nice CTD will come up for ya..

box5, you have PM
Old 02-20-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Box5
A single injector for a ford goes for $300
Is that a joke? No, seriously, that's not a legitimate number right? Right?!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Banned

even a rebuilt one on ebay goes for $200 x8, thats including a core echange charge...
Old 02-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=51

auto.... :-(
Old 02-21-2007, 06:49 AM

look in your local Advertiser magazines, there are always people looking to sell them cheap. I got my 96 4x4 auto for 7 Grand. It had 142k. Best thing i ever bought!