12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12v or PSD? first diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12v or PSD? first diesel

I've done alot of searching here, learned alot about the KDP, 5th gear nut, etc on the 12v. I currently have a 91 3/4 chevy with a 350, and I have to tow a small excavator and bobcat for work starting very soon, almost everyday. I've towed the excavator (wieghs 5k plus 2k trailer) and it really struggles up any hills with the 350, flat roads are OK to get up to speed and cruise. But even with that weight it's not fun to tow with that truck, almost scary somtimes. Like climbing someones driveway i didn't have enough power and had to stop on a gravel driveway and started sliding back...that was when I realized this truck wouldn't cut it.

My nieghbor has really convinced me on getting a 5spd 12v cummins, easier to work on than other diesels, reliable, great for towing, easy to make lots of power if needed etc compared to other diesels in the 94-98 year range specifically the powerstrokes (which i can find pretty cheap compared to a cummins). I've never driven a diesel truck, so compared to the tbi 350 I have now, how much better will towing be? Also, what about no load driving, is a stock 12v good for a daily driver around the city? I think I get 11-12mpg empty load with my 350 (horrible). I guess i'm just looking for some input from some guys who drive 12v's, and what a new driver will expect. Mostly local driving under 65, alot of in town driving to jobs etc, I just REALLY want to be able to tow that wieght without feeling like my truck is hating me for it, lol.

I can find mid 90's powerstrokes all the time for the $5k range, but the 94+cummins (preferebly 96-98) go more in the $9k+ range, I'm looking at having $7500. I've seen some cummins in that range, but mostly auto's, I can't stand autos, so it's gotta be a 5spd. Would I regret getting a cheaper PSD, over waiting for the right deal on a cummins for my driving/towing needs...
Old 02-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 12v diesels are the greatest diesel ever made. since they have a mechanical pump they are very desireable by the pullers and drag racers. you will have a tough time finding a 5spd also ecspecially for 5k that is what most pullers are looking for a cheap 12v 5spd and long bed quad cab
Old 02-07-2007, 03:48 PM

I have been around both and you see what I drive. . . but a Ford with a 7.3 is a solid truck as well. The main problems that I have seen with them is the fuel economy isn't much better than what you are talking about with your gasser, the front ends are bad about tie rod ends (even worse than the dodges) and glow plugs suck. The 4x4 may be the only place where the Ford wins because they have the locking hubs vs. the vacuum actuator, but that would be a slim win.

I use mine as a daily driver and usually am between 17-22 MPG.

I say find a cummins if you can. They are out there, but it should tell you how good a truck they are that you can't find any. Guys hold on to them because they are reliable, easy to work on. . . . you've heard this before.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, if you've never driven a diesel! Try to find a chance to drive a PSD AND a 12 valve!

Me personally would take a 12 valve over a PSD any day!

you've got to consider lots of stuff, both being stock, the 7.3 might be a bit more powerfull then the stock cummins, it depends all are different! but then upgrading for more power on a cummins is way cheaper to make power with... you can get more power for free in a 12valve, then a 7.3 with a programmer/chip (at least thats what my experience is)

I like to say this: i can get a set of new BIG aftermarket injectors for the same price, of one PSD injector! multiply that by 8! and think of it!

The 12 valve is a heavy duty engine while the psd is a light duty engine! a cummins should definitly last longer and is more reliable, if well taken care off!

If you get a manual, you've saved yourself a lot of headaches! dodge autos arent very good specially when upgrading powerwise!

We've bought 12 valves for under 5k

But also, its your decision.... ive seen convincing people is no good. Theyll always come back to you and throw it over your head, whenever a problem arises! so you decide, try both, its your money!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Banned

I had a 97 Z71. Towing, there is no comparison. This thing on 40's will tow better, easier, and get more mileage any day. Now vs. a PSD, stock they will do the same and last just as long as one another. Really just comes down to what you want. But if you get the Cummins you can put some goodies on it, get twice the mileage, pull at least twice as much, and it just looks soo much better!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:03 PM
DTR question asker

I got my 3500 (look at my sig) for $6200. Yeah, it needs some work, I'm having to put $1500 into it to get the fuel shutoff solenoid replaced, a tranny/oil leak fixed, front rotors replaced, rear shocks replaced, and a few other things.

But still, thats a total of about $7700ish for a good solid truck.

You just need to keep an eye out for stuff. Yeah, I know its not a manual, but I don't plan on BOMBing the heck out of it anytime soon, and if I do I'll worry about upgrading the tranny later.

I have towed a 19' Cape Dory Tyhpoon (its not too heavy, but you can feel it) with my 2500 and and with my friends Ford F250 ('94 I think).

There really is no comparison. The Dodge just tows so much better, the ride is smoother, but it doesn't feel overloaded in the least. Going up hills that Cummins pulls like a beast. You could hear the Powerstroke in that Ford really work to get it up to speed.

So spend the extra money and get yourself a Dodge that will all in all be a much better truck.

Just don't count on 4WD 100% of the time like some have said .
Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

I've wanted a 94+ body style dodge since I could drive. And auto's are easier to find, but I can't stand them. There aways searching for a gear, they just don't have the control of a manual.

I doubt anyone will let me hook up my trailer loaded to test how it tows, but say even with a stock 12v with a 175hp pump, will that thing be able to pull 10k up a mile long decent hill and be able to hold firmly or even accelerate instead of being stuck at a certain speed? My 350 can pull the 8k of my excavator and trailer up a hill like that but it gets stuck at about 30mph until the top, and I just don't feel comfortable doing that everyday when I'm gonna have to, and towing it around all day feeling like that would be bad. I just want a truck to hook it up and PULL like it's nothing. I guess i'm gonna have to 'waste' a few sellers time to get a couple test drives in, lol, i hate to do that but oh well.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

check out the classifieds tinman1911 just posted a 96 dually ex. cab 5 spd. for $6000.
By the way I just did the same thing and after driving a 00 psd, a 01 24 valve and a 97 12 valve, you can see what my decision was by my sig.
Also, it seems as though the 12 valves hold there value better than the psd's and 24 valvers.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:30 PM

The Fords and the Dodges are both good solid trucks. The powerstorke will probably seem more powerful the first time you drive it (especially the autos) but I can tell you the cummins pulls stronger. The PSD drives a little more like a gasser the 12V with a 5spd realy drives like a diesel. Also parts seem to cost less on my Dodge vs my fathers PSD. For $7500 if you are loooking for standard cab 5spd it should be doable
Old 02-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I just finally got my 97 CTD 2 weeks ago, after a multi year jonesin and search. I ended up having to settle for an Auto, didnt like to, but no 5 Speed trucks that were decent came my way. I have driven 7.3 PSD's, and for my likes, its the 12V hands down. So I have to either get a good tranny and converter or change it over to a 5 speed, but I dont have to worry about beating on it. Around here, you beat on a 7.3 PSD too hard and bad things happen, and as others have said, they are expensive to work on.

Sorry I cant tell you how the towing feel would be, my last truck was a 95 3/4 ton Chevy, and it towed pretty well as far as I was concerned. You wont believe the difference in power between the 350 and even a stock 12 V though.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

thanks for the info guys... I've been watchin some vids on youtube of 12v's and even the ones that just have a exhaust, and plate are pretty quick for normal driving. I can't drive fast anymore, got to many tickets. I just want torque, lol. Even in my chevy I never really rev above 2500rpm, to many cops around seem to always catch me when I go even 5 above, lol it's bad. So i hope to join you guys in ur love for the 12v soon, and I'm sure stock won't cut it when theres so much untapped power under the hood.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve
Well, if you've never driven a diesel! Try to find a chance to drive a PSD AND a 12 valve!

Me personally would take a 12 valve over a PSD any day!

you've got to consider lots of stuff, both being stock, the 7.3 might be a bit more powerfull then the stock cummins, it depends all are different! but then upgrading for more power on a cummins is way cheaper to make power with... you can get more power for free in a 12valve, then a 7.3 with a programmer/chip (at least thats what my experience is)

I like to say this: i can get a set of new BIG aftermarket injectors for the same price, of one PSD injector! multiply that by 8! and think of it!

The 12 valve is a heavy duty engine while the psd is a light duty engine! a cummins should definitly last longer and is more reliable, if well taken care off!

If you get a manual, you've saved yourself a lot of headaches! dodge autos arent very good specially when upgrading powerwise!

We've bought 12 valves for under 5k

But also, its your decision.... ive seen convincing people is no good. Theyll always come back to you and throw it over your head, whenever a problem arises! so you decide, try both, its your money!

Very Well Said Silvano

I agree with this, and my sig is biased. I went from an IDI to a cummins and never looked back.. EVER..

The comment on the 350 vs the 12valve is very very true as well, its a night and day difference.

And trust me, linger around here long enough and your 12Valve will not stay stock at all...

Rick
Old 02-07-2007, 07:16 PM

My last truck was a psd and they are good trucks but they are expensive to keep up, water pump on the psd was a little over $200 on my 96 $70. And having to pull a head to remove a burnt up swollen glow plug on a psd will have you cussing. Both can pull a load but the cummins makes it fun.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:20 PM

i will say i took my first ride in a psd last week. i did a four wheel brake job and ball joints at 15k!!! It drove like crap, and had no get up and go like my 12v. It was also 10 times louder in the cab... but thats just my feelings
Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM

for the mid early to mid 90s you cant really go wrong with either a 12v cummins or a powerstroke. Beware of those GM 6.2 and 6.5L's though. They are the cheapest for a reason

Quick Reply: 12v or PSD? first diesel