12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12V in an 85 K5

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12V in an 82 K5

Well sounds like a good idea. Anybody done this that can give me some pointers? I'm bout to get a good deal on a K5 from a buddy of mine, and I've got a 12V in an old beat up 95. The body and everything else on the truck is scrap but the cummins,tranny, and rear axle are all useable. I'm gonna completely go through and redo the engine cause its got 250k hard miles on it, and blows quite a bit of white smoke. The trannys gotta be rebuilt too, but I would have to do that anyway. I'm gonna use the dana 70 outa the truck and get a dana 60 for the front, then a divorced tcase. Any other ideas that would help make this go smoother. Its gonna be a long project anyway cause I gotta let the funds come in and do a little bit at a time, plus I've only got weekends to work on it, but I think itll turn out to be a bad little toy once its finally done. Any ideas, pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 PM

Let me know when you get it done. Then tell me your address, the hours you are most likely to be gone, and where you keep the keys.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 PM

I've got a really good friend who is doing this exact same thing, except his motor is a 97 12v. Its quite the project, but he is going crazy with suspension. He is doing about 20" of lift and putting 54" mudders under it. He is running into problems with driveline angles and stuff like that. The motor fits pretty good though. He bought a NV4500 that hes mating the tcase too. Theres quite a bit of fab work and hes got about a year of work into it. Hes just been doing it on the weekends and hes a nit-picker perfectionist so thats costing him time. The motor is being gone through now, and hes doing some mod stuff. Should be interesting when he's done. I'll get some pics if I can.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 PM

Cool, i'm anxious to see how his turns out. Thats what I'm gonna do, but I don't want it too tall. I wanna use it as kinda a toy and huntin rig and don't want TOO much money into it. I"m gonna spend most of my money on the motor and drivetrain, then do most of the suspension building myself. As far as welding and fab work I can do all that on my own, and as far as the engine is concerned, my friend and his brother who is a mechanic is helpn me with that. Hopefully it won't take me too long, but i'm just workin on it on weekends too. Any ideas performance wize to the engine to make it get up and go? I would like to hit around 450 to 500 hp
Old 06-12-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by randallp84
Let me know when you get it done. Then tell me your address, the hours you are most likely to be gone, and where you keep the keys.
Haha, ya right. After I get done with it, I'm gonna be too busy playin in it to leave it alone
Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 AM

Well I went and got the blazer last night. Hell of a deal. It was a friend of mines and it got impounded about 2 months ago, and he didn't wana mess with it, told me if I paid the impound fee it was mine. 916 dollars and I got an 82 k5, bodys in almost perfect shape, 10 inch lift on 38s, brand new 350 and freshly built tranny. Sounds like a deal to me. Hey skidoo, just curious, do you know exactly what axles,and tcase your buddy is using on his? I'm thinkin I can just use the factory axle out of the 95 for the rear, along with the transmission. Then a dana 60 for the front, but I dono what tcase yet. I also thought about a 14 bolt for the rear. Let me know what yall think