12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

What do you have to say about YOUR aftermarket clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you have to say about YOUR aftermarket clutch?

Slipped the stock clutch last weekend...guess it didn't like the recently added #100 plate (4 days prior)

So I'm researching and shopping around. Looking to get some opinions from you folks.

First off. This is my daily driver ('97 12v 5spd Dually 2wd) and will remain my daily driver. Future plans only call for injectors & slightly larger turbo. Should stay under 450hp for the remainder of it's life as I don't have deep enough pockets to reach that point. I only pull old cars on trailers, nothing heavier than a '56 Cadillac on a car hauler, but the truck spends most of it's life driving on the highway and in the city every day. So reliability, as well as driveability is key to the right clutch for my truck. I'm sure several of you guys understand where I'm coming from, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your clutch.

Brand...what are the good ones, what are the ones to stay away from?

Price...cheaper ain't always better, but what did you pay for yours?

Driveability...how firm is the pedal, how does the clutch engage & release?

I've had a Southbend in my old 1st gen, used a LuK in my old 7.3 'Stroke, but I've heard talks of Spec, ValAir, Zoom, etc.

I have been eye balling the ValAir #NMU70119-04 (Spring Ceramic/Ceramic 500Hp/1000Tq 3200# Plate) but looking for more input from you folks who have already been there.

Any and all input is appriciated, thanks!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres a good thread going on in the performence section on clutches, valair specifically
Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Have a LUK cerametallic in right now.. Was in a bind and the price was right... Held every bit of power I put to it but DD and towing is a chore, excessive grabbiness...

Now I have a brand new south bend sprung DD in the back seat waiting to go in... If you can afford it up front your going t oget what you pay for... Think I paid around 700 for the LUK and 1795 for the SB DD
Old 07-03-2007, 10:31 PM

I've got an unsprun SBC DD in my truck, and I like it. Sometimes it gets grabby, but you just need to slip it on a launch and it'll smooth out. The pedal is stiffer, but not enough to deter me from taking my truck down town when I have too. It ate up my 3rd gear synchros, but they were on their way out before the clutch. Only thing I'd change if I were doing it over is get the sprung hubs, but they weren't available when I bought this one.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHardcore
Slipped the stock clutch last weekend...guess it didn't like the recently added #100 plate (4 days prior)

So I'm researching and shopping around. Looking to get some opinions from you folks.

First off. This is my daily driver ('97 12v 5spd Dually 2wd) and will remain my daily driver. Future plans only call for injectors & slightly larger turbo. Should stay under 450hp for the remainder of it's life as I don't have deep enough pockets to reach that point. I only pull old cars on trailers, nothing heavier than a '56 Cadillac on a car hauler, but the truck spends most of it's life driving on the highway and in the city every day. So reliability, as well as driveability is key to the right clutch for my truck. I'm sure several of you guys understand where I'm coming from, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your clutch.

Brand...what are the good ones, what are the ones to stay away from?

Price...cheaper ain't always better, but what did you pay for yours?

Driveability...how firm is the pedal, how does the clutch engage & release?

I've had a Southbend in my old 1st gen, used a LuK in my old 7.3 'Stroke, but I've heard talks of Spec, ValAir, Zoom, etc.

I have been eye balling the ValAir #NMU70119-04 (Spring Ceramic/Ceramic 500Hp/1000Tq 3200# Plate) but looking for more input from you folks who have already been there.

Any and all input is appriciated, thanks!

Bottom line

I LOVE my valair inc clutch! holds what i have thrown at it and has been trouble free ever since I got it... Please PM me for more details...

PS i have the same clutch in my truck that you are debatin to get...

Rick
Old 07-04-2007, 11:47 PM

Rick, who'd you buy it from and what did you pay?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:16 AM

I got a Luks Pro Gold in my 98.5. The pedal feels stock, its not grabby, I paid $275 it holds good with with 80hp injectros and a powerpuck. I can slip it in Hi 2nd when i'm pulling. But when it goes out I'll probably spend a little more and buy a Valair.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHardcore
Rick, who'd you buy it from and what did you pay?
PLEASE

pm me for details..

Rick