Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Winch options

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch options

Not sure if this is the right section to post this question but I am not sure where is the right place....

I have a '96 1 ton with a removable Snow Dogg that goes on the front for plowing our road in the winter. Next spring I am planning to go chop my own firewood (I use about 3-4 cord/yr.) I would be going to a National Forest in Idaho getting Fir and Larch. I am thinking about adding a winch to help with this job by pulling trimmed logs closer to the road before i cut them to firewood length. But I don't know a lot about winches. Never had one before or even been around them much.

My first thought was to go to Harbor Freight and buying a 9000 lb unit and mounting it on the rear towing hitch. Then I thought it might even be handier if I welded a tow hitch receiver to the snow plow mount so I could move the winch to either front or rear.

Am I out in left field with my thoughts? Is a trailer hitch mounted winch adequate or does it need a permanent mount? Can that setup take any kind of a sideways load? Is a 9000 lb winch big enough? Any input would be welcome.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am reposting this in "Performance and Accessories, 2nd Generation Only" where I probably should have in the first place.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Getting logs out of the bush can be difficult even with a front end loader to lift up one end to get it over stumps or obstructions, without the loader it can be almost impossible to just drag every tree out on the ground to a clearing. Once in the open we load the butt end onto an axle then using a slip hook and chain around the bunch of 4 to 6 trees we chain them to the axle to drag them out with another tractor. Without the axle to keep the butt end off the ground the logs just dig in.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If cut into manageable chunks, you won't even need a winch. My old 85w350 gasser tugs 10-12ft logs around like they're nothing. Just a good chain to drag the logs out. I can see a winch helping out by lifting the end of the log a bit to keep it from digging into the ground. I have a 12k# warn industrial hydraulic on mine, however I use it for recovery (or to 'guide' the tree in the direction I want it to fall), so it's probably overkill for just logs. I'd take the idea you have. Just an inexpensive winch coupled with a chain. Maybe even put it in the bed of your rig with a simple receiver mount boom with a pulley to give the logs a one up over obstacles as mentioned. Hook up, then drive your truck out.