Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

My New Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New Ride

Greetings, all. Long time, no type! I sold my first 02 a few years ago and had been kicking myself ever since, except when diesel was over $4.00/gallon!! Anyway, I found a suitable replacement last week, and drove her home. It's another 02 SLT with a 6 speed, long bed this time, Banks Powerpack (intake and exhaust), BD lift pump, 35's and has a Fabtech 5.5" lift. I rifled through the bed toolbox and found a Hypertech programmer. I haven't had time to see if there's a program loaded on this, but it sure runs better than my old one. I believe it has better gearing, perhaps 4.11s, which might account for the better acceleration.

Anyway, it's good to be back in the fold, and I look forward to contributing again.

Ps. The first thing I did when I got it home was to take off the brush guard in front. It was held on by only the bottom bolts and was crooked as hell. I'll get some better pics up soon. I'm stuck in a hotel in Orlando until tomorrow. The weekend will be spent getting to know this truck

Name:  CRAIGSLIST366.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  51.9 KB
Name:  CRAIGSLIST368.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  61.3 KB
Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on a very sharp truck! I want a lift now
Old 09-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
that looks nice. Just like mine, except for lift/tool box
Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Clean truck!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 PM

looks nice it has a real nice stancemakes me miss my 2nd gen on 38s
congrats
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 PM

Dang good lookin my man.
Makes me want a long bed even more!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM

So I got back into town and started digging into this truck. I spent the better part of six hours cleaning this and that, polishing here and there, and hooking up that Hypertech programmer/scanner. Turns out that Level 1 was loaded on this when I took possession. I switched it to Level 3 and took it out for a spin. Much more power now, but MUCH more smoke. I think I'm going to save my pennies for an Edge Comp soon, and then see how much the stock clutch can take.

I've found a couple of leaks that will need attention. First, the power steering seems to be leaking somewhere. I'll have to get that sprayed off and check it closely. I also will be replacing the puke bottle with PVC tubing I picked up this weeked. I've seen a few PVC mods and am looking to do something similar. The turbo is also leaking, or at least it looks like the oil return line is leaking. I'll have to dig into that one deeper this weekend.

Tech question - if the Hypertech programmer has a boost fooler feature (can anyone confirm this?), would anything bad happen if I plugged the wastegate? As long as the boost didn't exceed 37 psi, it couldn't hurt, could it? Obviously, if the Hypertech had no boost fooler, I don't think I'd attempt anything.

Here's a shot after copious time cleaning...

Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM

Nice looking truck!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would pinch the WG line or get a boost elbow for it. It would definitely help out in the smoke department on level 3 and you could probably run it there for a while till you decide on the next mod.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
I would pinch the WG line or get a boost elbow for it. It would definitely help out in the smoke department on level 3 and you could probably run it there for a while till you decide on the next mod.
How would you recommend pinching the line? Couldn't I simply plug the fitting with a cap or something? I didn't want to spend any money on an elbow, just wanted to see if I could get max boost from minimum investment, knowing full well that the Edge Comp is on its way.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:53 PM
The Guru

The hypertech didn't have a boost fouler when I used it. I didn't use the programer for very long. Only one way to find out for sure

Is the oil coming out is it power steering fluid or engine oil. The hydroboost uses engine oil for lubercation. They are know to leak. I don't use a drip bottle.

Nice truck, 4:11's are steep, just put on bigger tires. If you tow heavy, they are nice. If you just boot around town, you'll want the 3:54's.

Which t-case and rear axle does the truck have?
Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
The hypertech didn't have a boost fouler when I used it. I didn't use the programer for very long. Only one way to find out for sure

Is the oil coming out is it power steering fluid or engine oil. The hydroboost uses engine oil for lubercation. They are know to leak. I don't use a drip bottle.

Nice truck, 4:11's are steep, just put on bigger tires. If you tow heavy, they are nice. If you just boot around town, you'll want the 3:54's.

Which t-case and rear axle does the truck have?
Yeah, I suppose if I trip the DTC for overboost, I now have a programmer that can erase it! The oil leak appears to be power steering fluid, and might be coming from the steering box. I have a connection for reman steering boxes, so if it's that, I have it covered.
As for the gears, if they ARE 4.11s, I'll definately be in the market for some 37s or 38s. On the way to the airport last week, I noticed that the engine speed was over 2k at 70mph. That's not gonna cut it for good highway mpg's.
As for the t-case and rear axle, I haven't determined the t-case model, but I would guess the rear axle is the Dana 80??? I didn't think Dodge put anything less in for the 3/4 and 1 ton models in 2002.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 PM
The Guru

mines a 241 and dana 70, Not the HD stuff. That usually came on the six speed trucks and 411 gears.

You can clear the codes, but it will only come back again on the next 24psi pull. Hopefully you don't and hypertech has fixed that issue. The edge juice is nice, as you have a cool down timer and a egt's back down controller. I run a edge comp box, as it was given to me about 6 years ago.

How many miles are on the truck? The front ends are awful on these trucks, and you should upgrade to more bulletproof stuff, once you break the old stuff. I can go thru a front end in about 40-50k miles

Does the fab tech kit use a drop down track bar? Which direction is the pitman arm ball joint go into the pitman arm?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 PM

can i ask.... what did u pay?