ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins............

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins............

Boy it sure is hard to make a twin turbo decision these days. So many kits, so variable in price, don't go to small, don't go to big. Buy these ones, don't buy those ones. Man am I lost!!!! So I'm gonna ask everyone here for their opinions. So here goes and sorry for the novel but this guy needs some help........

I'm ready for twins as far as mods so I'm looking for fast spool. I'm going to start out with my stock injectors and then later possibly go to a 90hp max. My converter is a bit tight so I need a good spooling set so I can't go huge and don't want to go full race style. I don't want to be a race monster like Kevin or Aaron. I still have to tow in the summer my 32' trailer. If I put on twins and can't tow, my wife will burn my truck and let me try to put it out with the one beer I'm drinking because I can't afford more beer because I bought twins........

Some say the BD700's are too small, the II New style kit with a PS62/S474 is too small, and so on. I don't want to go the Garett route because of all the cooling lines and very expensive. As you guys know, I like neat and clean so I don't want it to look like a jungle under my hood. I do greatly appreciate any advice. When it comes to $5000.00, I want to do this once.

The new style Industrial Injection twins are the best bang for the buck at $4200.00 for the entire kit with 2 new turbo's and it uses all the stock downpipe. The classic II Towing kit (62/K31) is $4900.00. The BD R700's are $4500.00 ATS kit is $5100.00 and purple but a nice looking set up. Do any of the classic twin kits use the stock downpipe? The new style looks to be the way to go but I still love the look of the classic twin style, what a hard decision to make. The only downfall of the new style II kit is that the intake pipe, S&B filter looks cheap and not very clean. What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
The Guru

Lots of money for what you're getting. Just finishing up a fancy set last night. The powder coating and tight bends of the air tubes look decent. I even plan on getting the aftermarket air box to fit.

If I wanted a do all twins dream set, I would run a turbo around 62-64mm secondary (garrett GTX3582R with a A/R 1.06), with a large primary like S480 size or a GT4718 (easy cool 800 rwhp twins and very streetable) and run an external gate for better exhaust flow at the high power levels. The s300 series turbo, the internal design is aweful. The garrett have a better gate design and will flow decent exhaust flow, on a devource hot pipe. You can run tubing for hiding the coolant or take the easy route and use hose. I would even run hard connectors at the primary and secondary. Have a quick connect high pressure fitting in the middle for making removal easy. Run one of those fancy in-cab wastegate controllers. I bet this set-up would be less money than a BD R700 or industrial. Seen a few industrial sets, don't like how they spec the turbos they use, buts that me.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel

If I put on twins and can't tow, my wife will burn my truck and let me try to put it out with the one beer I'm drinking because I can't afford more beer because I bought twins........

WORD!

There should be a sticky thread somewhere to capture truely timeless quotes...
Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 PM

Jamie is your turbo the variable vane, or the wastegated? I am fuzzy if it was only the 6.7's that got the variable vane or if it was all the new trucks.

For the $5K price range, I would be looking at a GT35R, but the .82 housing (sorry Mike, but the .82 on your 35/4202 was just right more turbine would be too slow ), a steed speed external gate manifold, external gate, and an S478 with the 92mm turbine wheel.

This will spool quicker then your stock turbo does now, and will cool to ~800hp albeit starting to get warm at 800hp. It will tow great and be a ton of fun to drive.

I will be building a very similar setup for my 2wd, once things slow down enough for me to get at it. It's purpose in life is to daily drive in the summer, tow trailers, haul dirt bikes, and hot rod when required.

If you are looking for an ultra low buck setup, then you are looking at the stocker over an S475 standard 96mm turbine, it will obviously light a bit later then just the stock turbo, but still cool fine to about 600hp. The primary is capable of a lot more (about 750) but the stock turbo's exhaust housing is now getting in the way in the secondary configuration. An external gate setup would alleviate this problem. It is still about a $3K setup, as really you are only paying for the better chargers, the piping, and material and fab time is still about the same.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM

All those kits cost more than my BB twins, unless you factor in that I melted one. Cooling lines are easy, and with the braided teflon lines, look good too.

I'd look at using your stock turbo with a S475, or maybe the S478. Its a proven setup. Either fab your own piping, or get the piping from Source. You could have twins built for less than $2k, including turbo, if you go this route.

Brett, Jamie has a 5.9, so a HE351CW.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM

I can get a set of BD R700 for $4150.00. I would love to go the BB set up but I have no time and knowledge to fab up a set. I just dont want it to look like a mess and such and have crazy drive pressures. These kits out there fit great and boom, done deal. This fabbing up stuff gets time consuming and i need my truck everyday for work. If it wasn't for that, Mike would have my truck in his garage...
Old 03-31-2011, 06:08 PM

The BD kit is too small... and I really dont like the quality of the kit.. you wouldnt be happy with them, tates got a good point.. there are lots of kits that will make use of your stock turbo,, I still say go with a good 64 over a 480. With a good cover that would spool real nice,, and have lots of legs too...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 PM

I was told a 64 would be too hard to spool with stock injectors.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 PM

No point in going that big on the secondary, external gate solves that. A 64 is a good charger for where the primary is a GT55...

478 flows almost as much as an 80, and the wheel is lighter then the 72, it is a really great charger. If I didn't already own an S480 with the race cover that is what I would have bought.

Mike and I can put a great set together for you, just will be a bit of time, I am still recovering from the flu, and we are still finishing up a few sets for other people.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 PM
The Guru

I would guess two day, maybe three days from a pile of tubing, to a powder coated custom twin fitted to your truck. Rob, Brett and I just did one, in about that time. A truck hasn't had twins before takes abit more time. Its just all the little things that take the time to adjust. I like moving the wiring harness, removing insulation, wrapping tubing, just taking my time to get everything to fit right.

I can't wait to get this truck running with the twins and have all the fuel cranked up. Been curious how well the 12v spools these twins vs. my truck.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I would guess two day, maybe three days from a pile of tubing, to a powder coated custom twin fitted to your truck. Rob, Brett and I just did one, in about that time. A truck hasn't had twins before takes abit more time. Its just all the little things that take the time to adjust. I like moving the wiring harness, removing insulation, wrapping tubing, just taking my time to get everything to fit right.

I can't wait to get this truck running with the twins and have all the fuel cranked up. Been curious how well the 12v spools these twins vs. my truck.
What he said^^^ Can't wait to see the spool up on the 12v.

My brother-in-law dynoed a 12v with the BD twins the other day. It made 450hp. He said it had 3.5 GSK kit, cut delivery valves, small plate, 80 HP injectors, ARP studs with a stock multi layer gasket. He also had a NV5600 6 speed. They had to hand calc the torque but it was 970 ft-lb. They couldn't get a tach signal for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins............-12-valve-twins.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 10:48 PM

If your looking at going the twin kit route, you can look into DDP, they make twin kits. I've got one in my truck and it spools really quick. It's a 62/71 over 74/88. Smaller turbo's turbine has been trimmed. With 90's it's super cool and tows very well.
Name:  Dodge116.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  207.9 KB
Name:  Dodge117.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  200.7 KB
Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 PM

I forgot to mention that they build the kits specific to your truck, it's not just a "one size fits all kit". You tell them what your planning on doing with the truck and they build accordingly........... Just some more info for ya
Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 PM

GoatB, what was the eta frrom when you ordered them until you recieved them?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goatbrain5.9
If your looking at going the twin kit route, you can look into DDP, they make twin kits. I've got one in my truck and it spools really quick. It's a 62/71 over 74/88. Smaller turbo's turbine has been trimmed. With 90's it's super cool and tows very well.
Boy thats a nice looking install. I like the short run from the primary to the secondary compressor side.

Quick Reply: Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins............