4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Time for a new Frame Mounted Separator WIF Sensor.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Time for a new Frame Mounted Separator WIF Sensor.....

The Radio Flyer is at 207,323 miles, 334 idle hours, and 3,833 drive hours.

For about the last 3 or 4 months, I've been experiencing an intermittent "Water In Fuel" light but only during hard rains, extended lengthy drives during rain, or moderate to severe ponding of water in the road. The first time it happened, I did check for water in fuel by draining the front & rear filters. The fuel looked great. I continued to drive, and as I drove out of wet conditions, the light went off.

About 3 weeks ago, not long after I replaced my batteries, I decided I'd buy a new rear WIF sensor, along with a couple of new air filters, at my selling dealership. I decided I'd replace it the next fuel filter change....and see if that might cure my problem. After changing the fuel filters this past Saturday---I'm glad I did.

I installed the new WIF sensor on the replacement separator. I then removed the old separator. I thought about just tossing the entire assembly away, then remembered that the separator still holds a decent amount of fuel until the WIF sensor is removed.

Upon removing the WIF sensor, I could see bare wires where the wires entered the sensor. I continued removing the sensor from the separator. After I got the sensor loose enough to remove by hand, both wires simply broke off the sensor. I imagine the wires had developed corrosion, became brittle, and simply broke off. Keep in mind that this sensor was removed and transferred 15 times in it's lifetime.

Others have mentioned applying dielectric grease to the connections / plugs, but I think there is a seal on the connector at the truck end. It still might not hurt....but if you're experiencing a WIF warning and you feel it's bogus....check your rear frame mounted separator WIF wiring at the sensor.

The part number for the rear frame mounted separator water-in-fuel sensor is 68197868AB.
The following users liked this post:
Busboy (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm a big believer in using dielectric grease but in this case it wouldn't have done anything, replacing the sensor was the only cure.