2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

ADding sport headlight, and fog lights ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Adding sport headlight, and fog lights ??

Hello,

I know there have been a lot of posts about upgrading a non-sport truck to sport headlights; but it seems that some of the conversion kits are no longer offered in the threads I have read.

I have a 1999 2500, 4x4, NON-sport truck, that does not have foglights either.

I am putting my truck back together after being hit by an uninsured motorist....

Since I have to buy new headlights now, I'd like to upgrade. I would like some suggestions on what has been proven to work well and be reliable for doing this conversion.

Also, when I got the front of my truck apart, I found a couple places on the wire harness where there is dummy plug in it from the factory. Could one of these be for controlling the fog-lights? Does anybody know if the wiring is all there for controlling fog-lights on a truck that didn't have that as an option?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Matt

Last edited by mattn124; 02-05-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am not sure about the 99 but check the fuse panel to see if there is a place for a fog light fuse and is your head light switch set up for fog lights if so plug in a fuse try and run a test light to see if you get power?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Most likely the harness is there but the guts aren't in the fuse box. Mine has sport wiring to the headlights but no tabs in the high beam relay for the Sport option.

Search google for Daniel Stern Lighting. He will build you what you need to get them going.

Painless may also offer a kit IIRC..
Old 02-05-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My 99 is set up for it. Ck to see if you can easily pull out the headlight switch. This is the fog light function for on/off. If so ck the plug ends on the front where the fog lights would plug into. IIRC,I think they are wired negative meaning the switch controls the negative side, not the positive. Someone please correct me if this is wrong.
I switched out my headlights to Spyder projector lights which was an improvement over stock. These are even brighter than the 60/80 watt Flosser bulbs I had in the factory housing.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:37 PM

Thanks all for the replies. My switch is not the one that is also for the foglights, it does not pull out. I've driven trucks with factory fog lights so I know exactly what you are talking about.

If I get the time to hit the junkyard tomorrow, I'm going to pick up a switch with fog lights if there is one available. Then I will just do some testing to see.

On a side note, my plan is not to run factory fog lights. I'm putting a big "cow-catcher" type bumper on and will probably put a couple lights on it. I thought it would be nice to be able to control these with a factory switch in the cab instead of poking another wire through the firewall.

Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 AM

^ Yes, exactly. I have a 30" Led bar mounted to a prerunner front bumper and am wanting on-road led driving lights and to be able to hook them up using the factory fog switch.
I can tell ya, led is the way to go....holy moly...the light bar really turns things into day light! Good luck
Old 02-07-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by high bid
^ Yes, exactly. I have a 30" Led bar mounted to a prerunner front bumper and am wanting on-road led driving lights and to be able to hook them up using the factory fog switch.
I can tell ya, led is the way to go....holy moly...the light bar really turns things into day light! Good luck

do you think the led lightbar would be better than my setup (they are 130 watt ea)???

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/P1010193.jpg
Old 02-07-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I would say yes. Those old KC's are sweet but quite a power draw. I was at my folks over Christmas and a guy in a Chevy with an led bar on top of his plow was heading down a side road. Looked like a sports stadium, it was lighting up the field on both sides of the road a good hundred plus yards out on either side, really white light and no hot spots or wasted light...I think the round lights look better on 2 gens, wish they made rounded ones....
Old 02-07-2016, 02:27 PM

Thanks for all the good input guys!! I'll probably go with Daniel sterns stuff for swapping to sport headlights.

I have some follow-up information about my trucks wiring for fog lights. I went to a couple salvage yards this weekend and looked at how factory fog lights are wired. Everything that I saw 1997 and older had wires coming right out of the factory harness. But I found 2 1999 trucks with fog lights. They had a small harness coming from both lights that connected to the main harness by a connector. It's the exact same connector I have on my truck.

So, I bought the fog light harness and the switch. I just installed the switch and it does control voltage at this connector on my truck!!! All I had to do was pop in another relay for this in the fuse box underhood.

I wont be running factory fogs, but I really like that I'll be able to control whatever lights I put up there with the factory switch!!! No additional wires going through the firewall!!
Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 PM

What sixlug said. Those KC daylighters draw a ton of power but it looks good and they will throw light further , just not the bright white light or flood pattern.
When I had them on my Willis Jeep the bulbs always seemed to go out.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 PM

The bumper I'm putting on has 2 spots where I can easily put some lights. 4" high and 6" wide.

I am thinking about adding a pair of these to be controlled by my fog light switch:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ght/1699/#pane

Anybody have experience with this brand? The reviews look good. Also, I could use input on what beam-angle to get. I was thinking about 30-degrees.

Last edited by mattn124; 02-10-2016 at 09:40 PM. Reason: typo