24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front End ???s

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End ???s

So I have had some front end problems and am trying to get them all solved. A couple of years ago I installed a 2" leveling kit and put on a set of 315/75r16 wild country mts. At the time the only other thing I did was add a set of bilstein shocks, +2" for the leveling kit and had it aligned.

I eventually wore out the tires and realized I probably did not research the lift enough. After I pulled the tires and wheels off I had to replace all ball joints and the track bar. I replaced with all moog parts and new 285/75r16 tires. Within about a month the moog bar had wore out the bushing (passenger side). Replaced with a polyurethane bushing and kept on getting it. Then the joint on the frame wore out, but I have been so busy with work I had not had time to replace. My research led me to get an adjustable track bar from Spohn. Installed it today and now it looks like I need a new outer tie rod end.

I want to go back with the bigger tires, but I really want to get better wear out of them then the first time around, so I am looking for some suggestions.

Before I make the purchase I am going to obviously fix the tie rod end, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything else. Also, I have a steering box stabilizer on the truck too. The ball joints all appear to be ok, but I am going to double check. Should I upgrade pitman arm or what else? Also what are the recommended alignment settings that I should tell the alignment shop? What about control arms, should they b replaced? I am thinking about fabricating my own, but that is something I did not replace the first time around.

I guess what I am getting at , assuming everything is good as far as ball joints, tie rod ends, and steering box, if you were installing a 2" leveling kit, what else besides the shocks and adjustable track bar should be installed?

IMHO those that say 2" is fine for factory parts is full of it, because that 2" shifts the axle and in turn puts the geometry off on the front end. I just want it right this time around.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 PM

Maybe adjustable sway bar links, if you didn't already pull the sway bar off for offroading. Maybe the front hub bearing assembly. As far as the alignment shop goes, I've heard that it helps to toe it in just slightly. I'm not too sure about that.... but I've heard it on here before.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:10 PM

A standard alignment is always toed in about 1/16 to 1/8 inch. The shop will know where to put it. Before you do all of that have someone follow you down the road and make sure the truck is going straight down the road and not dog walking, where the front is off to one side of the rear. That is usually the sign of a broken center pin in a rear spring. That will show up on a four wheel alignment but most shops do not set up a truck for a four wheel alignment without a good reason because there is no rear adjustment.