24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ca smog test

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ca smog test

I got to smog the truck , any tips on reducing smoke for the blip test?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where are you located?? I took off the EZ edge and no problems if you are not blowing black smoke you are good to go. blip test
Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Its all going to depend on where you live in the state and how "liberally" understanding the smog tech is of the diesel smog laws. What I mean is..... If you live in San Francisco then the odds of passing are significantly reduced simply because the tech will most likely be so misinformed about the whole concept of diesel emissions law that they'll consider anything and everything which doesn't look like it came from the factory as a direct violation.....no matter what the law states. Stock trucks would probably be hard pressed to pass as well in that area..... But if you live where the smog techs deal more with these trucks on a daily basis and understand "conservatively" that the diesel smog law itself is simply political correctness for the "green" movement and a nice source of easy revenue.....and most importantly.....that the 2nd gen Dodge Cummins 24 valve has ZERO factory emissions components, then you should be fine as long as the EZ is removed. Heck, these trucks even dump the engine vent atmospherically. If anything isnt "eco" friendly it would be that. I know I'm being overly critical but just making a point. I live in less congested rural area and luckily I know of a smog shop who is very understanding of this bureaucratic garbage, and the two times I've had to cough up $40+ dollars to smog my "non-emissions" equipped truck, I didn't even remove the EZ.

If you're unsure of what the diesel smog law states, here's a link http://dieselsmogcheck.com/ with the information. Take note that it says any alteration to emission equipment. If you're vehicle didnt come with a catalytic convertor or an EGR valve then how can not having those items be a problem????? Tell that to all the smog shops who tell members they need to put their stock exhaust back on.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:27 PM

Failed the effin test he said the black smoke shot out too far before dissipating. I'm going to be on the news when I drive my truck up the state capitols ***
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 AM

If I start the engine too soon before the wait to start light goes off my check engine light comes on throttle position sensor. I've done the reset procedure many times now. Is replacing the tps my answer to the puff of smoke when the pedal is stomped on?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You did unplug the EZ before testing correct?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:32 PM

yes I pulled the EZ. What I need is a smog guy that will see the puff of smoke and pass it . It's always smoked if you stomp on the throttle I don't know what to do
Old 02-23-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Slugblaster
yes I pulled the EZ. What I need is a smog guy that will see the puff of smoke and pass it . It's always smoked if you stomp on the throttle I don't know what to do
put a block of wood under the carpet so the pedal can`t go all the way and there won`t be as much smoke. LOL !
Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
My 98.5 w/Mach 1.6's would smoke like a banshee and run high egts instantly. The EZ+ boost elbow would clean it right up and cool it. No smog tests back then.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Slugblaster
Not sure what to tell you about that..... I dont know how thick your plume of smoke is during the snap test but the smog test requirements state that the exhaust smoke (if any) has to dissipate within 3 seconds, which is approximately how long it takes to snap the throttle and then walk around to the back of the truck to view the results. If you think that the tech is just to "city" for a reasonable understanding of what diesels of your truck year are capable of then it sounds like you have no choice but to take it somewhere else. If you read my last post then you'll see where I tried to explain (forewarn) that what you just experienced was predetermined. You may have to drive a few miles out of the area to get a smog shop who isnt so tight.....or remove the injectors. I'd start by calling some local performance diesel shops and ask them where to go.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Calling the local performance diesel shops sounds like a good idea. Paying all that money for stock injectors just to pass this bs test is a hard pill to swallow. thanks for the reply
Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
You would think one of the tuner places would put in a "pass the emissions test" tune so you could flip a switch to pass, could also be utilized as a valet tune.