1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My Story...1000+ miles in 25 hours...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 06:07 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Truck didn't miss a beat.....and when I was loaded, I was running it up the big hills in 4th and spinning 2100-2500+ rpm for several minutes.

Got 17.25 mpg's going up, and over 21mpg coming back empty.
Wow, and I was happy with my 19+ MPG. Manual Transmissions do much better than stock transmissions with regards to Fuel Economy, no doubt.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:13 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Those mountains are wicked.

Word of advice..If anything, get a backhoe first. I regret not buying one, I picked up a Massey Ferguson with a Perkins diesel in it which works great for snow removal.. when it comes to digging a backhoe would have been really handy. When we moved into our new place the septic leech field broke (still leaks).. the dam holding the beaver ponds gave out (after a massive trapping from previous owners the beavers were not there to maintain it). I did put the Massey to work and I beat the heck out of the loader. Moving rocks.. so many things I kick my self for.. should have bought a backhoe and get the best of both worlds. My grandfather said a 3 point hitch backhoe would work but.. the tractor isn't designed for it... expect something to break.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bannerd

Word of advice..If anything, get a backhoe first. I regret not buying one, I picked up a Massey Ferguson with a Perkins diesel in it which works great for snow removal.. when it comes to digging a backhoe would have been really handy. When we moved into our new place the septic leech field broke (still leaks).. the dam holding the beaver ponds gave out (after a massive trapping from previous owners the beavers were not there to maintain it). I did put the Massey to work and I beat the heck out of the loader. Moving rocks.. so many things I kick my self for.. should have bought a backhoe and get the best of both worlds. My grandfather said a 3 point hitch backhoe would work but.. the tractor isn't designed for it... expect something to break.
Besides a backhoe makes it easier to hide the bodies
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts

I have a 3 point hoe for the back of my mini dozer. It beats using a shovel in the rock filled clay soil where I live but it beats the snot out of the dozer and me. There is too much play between the lift arms and quick hitch etc and it allows excessive movement of the back hoe. The distance between the hoe and the back of the dozer created by the 3 point system essentially allows the 3 point system to act as a lever against the dozer. I don't need it that often so I live with the problems.

If I were to buy a backhoe I would attempt to buy, in this order: A purpose built machine, a converted tractor with a sub frame for the backhoe and the hoe mounted to the tractor (not 3 point), 3 point set up.
It also depends on the soil you're using it on. Sandy loamy soil will have much better results with a 3 point hoe than rocky clay.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:33 AM

PG sounds really beautiful. Congratulations!
On the other hand: now you'll NEVER make it to Chrysler at Carlisle!!!
Old 05-25-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts

Thank you for that great advice! That is what I have been leaning towards...trying to do things right the first time is always one of my moddo's!

Originally Posted by MrFusion
I have a 3 point hoe for the back of my mini dozer. It beats using a shovel in the rock filled clay soil where I live but it beats the snot out of the dozer and me. There is too much play between the lift arms and quick hitch etc and it allows excessive movement of the back hoe. The distance between the hoe and the back of the dozer created by the 3 point system essentially allows the 3 point system to act as a lever against the dozer. I don't need it that often so I live with the problems.

If I were to buy a backhoe I would attempt to buy, in this order: A purpose built machine, a converted tractor with a sub frame for the backhoe and the hoe mounted to the tractor (not 3 point), 3 point set up.
It also depends on the soil you're using it on. Sandy loamy soil will have much better results with a 3 point hoe than rocky clay.
I had considered a dozer with a hoe attachment...but your comments and experience makes me re-think things.

Originally Posted by MrFusion
PG sounds really beautiful. Congratulations!
On the other hand: now you'll NEVER make it to Chrysler at Carlisle!!!
One day I will make it to Carlisle!....I plan on doing the Hotrod power tour one year as well. I'm never afraid to toss a few thousand miles on my old cars and trucks....
Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
One day I will make it to Carlisle!..
Great, then I can smack you upside the head for moving into my house in PG.....
Old 05-27-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
I wouldn't give up on the idea of a skidsteer. I use mine nearly daily, it is easily the most used tool on the farm

My neighbour has a backhoe and he borrows my skidsteer more then I borrow his back hoe. Besides you can always buy a backhoe attachment for a skidsteer if you really needed it
thrashingcows (05-27-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by gyman98
I wouldn't give up on the idea of a skidsteer. I use mine nearly daily, it is easily the most used tool on the farm

My neighbour has a backhoe and he borrows my skidsteer more then I borrow his back hoe. Besides you can always buy a backhoe attachment for a skidsteer if you really needed it
I worked for a contractor one day that dug a swimming pool with one. the ground was decomposed granite. I didn't think he was going to get very far but at by the end of the day he got all but a ramp to get in and out done. He also bummed about half my lunch
thrashingcows (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 02:19 PM

A dedicated trackhoe (dozer with the hoe attached to the back NOT 3 point) is a thing of beauty. Heavy, but it works better with the hoe. Skid steer is a good idea too. My buddy has 90hp New Holland that works well but he wished he bought one with tracks. His doesn't do to well in the snow or soft ground. He has a Bradco back hoe for it that works pretty well.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:34 PM

A tracked bobcat/skidsteer would be the bomb! But a good set of chains will work well in the snow.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
A tracked bobcat/skidsteer would be the bomb! But a good set of chains will work well in the snow.
Rent a skidsteer with tracks before you buy one. I've run all sizes, all brands and with tracks and wheels. There's a reason mine has wheels. Tracks are better in mud and soft ground but that's about it.

Chains on the rear wheels make it a bull dozer in the snow, even without chains it will push more then a tracked machine will in snow
thrashingcows (05-30-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 07:55 AM

Get a D9H
Old 05-29-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Selling in the lower mainland and buying an acreage in Prince George, B.C. is pretty much like winning the lottery!
Congratulations!

That area is beautiful.. lakes, mtns, ski hill, lots of hockey!, friendly folks.
P.G. had a rep as a rough winter town many years ago but its changed dramatically.
The University made a huge change and PG no longer has its long harsh winters.

I grew up in Williams Lake, about 3 hrs south of P.G., many years ago.
Post secondary education in Vancouver, hated it there and left for Calgary as soon as I graduated SFU in 1989.
Calgary was a nice small city back then but now its like any big stupid city.

We always head west for vacation/camping. Shuswap, Okanogan and family in Kamloops.

Retirement is ways off for us, we do think of moving to small town B.C. but the high B.C. taxes make it difficult. Much higher than Alberta.
However, Alberta is heading down the same tax and spend road as B.C....

I wish you well with your move!
thrashingcows (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle
Get a D9H
Well that sent me over the edge.....
mknittle (05-30-2016)

Quick Reply: My Story...1000+ miles in 25 hours...