1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel Additives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're going to run biodiesel, make sure you run an algae killer since it does absorb water.

-Kris
Old 01-17-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't advise using vegetable oil or ATF in your fuel tank. Vegetable oil doesn't burn all the way. Biodiesel is safe and provides the lubricity that vegetable oil does. I've heard ATF has friction modifiers in it which is not good for the injection pump.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by RamDodgeSam
I don't advise using vegetable oil or ATF in your fuel tank. Vegetable oil doesn't burn all the way. Biodiesel is safe and provides the lubricity that vegetable oil does. I've heard ATF has friction modifiers in it which is not good for the injection pump.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the ATF. I have a buddy with a 2nd gen 12v and a commercial fishing boat with a 12v. He runs both of these with 50/50 mix of diesel and ATF. Been doing it for years, thousands of miles and thousands of hours on the boat. No problems.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the ATF. I have a buddy with a 2nd gen 12v and a commercial fishing boat with a 12v. He runs both of these with 50/50 mix of diesel and ATF. Been doing it for years, thousands of miles and thousands of hours on the boat. No problems.
I don't doubt the anecdotal evidence to the contrary and perhaps I'm overestimating the damage that will in fact happen over time due to the qualities of the oils.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Help my simpleton newbie diesel mind out here fellas ... bio-diesel, clear diesel, marked diesel, and DEF ???????????????

I understand clear is legal over the road diesel and red colored (marked) diesel is for farm machinery and such ... the others??

Reason I ask is I just got my UFA card in the mail to use at their bulk fuel card lock and I haven't looked closely yet but I think I seen everything at their pumps except bio-diesel ... they are always 3to5 cent cheaper per liter so why not .

Can anyone fill me in?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
Help my simpleton newbie diesel mind out here fellas ... bio-diesel, clear diesel, marked diesel, and DEF ???????????????

I understand clear is legal over the road diesel and red colored (marked) diesel is for farm machinery and such ... the others??

Reason I ask is I just got my UFA card in the mail to use at their bulk fuel card lock and I haven't looked closely yet but I think I seen everything at their pumps except bio-diesel ... they are always 3to5 cent cheaper per liter so why not .

Can anyone fill me in?
You'll just be running "clear diesel" just make sure it's #2 (or blend if winter weather permits).

Avoid red(marked) and #1.

DEF is for new diesels, diesel exhaust fluid. Don't have to worry about that with our old girls.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:44 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Just found out what DEF was reading over in the newer forums... feeling kinda dumb as its only been around for like the last 10-12 yrs!!!

Let's see (rub,rub, ...) yep , as anyone can probably tell by some of my questions on here REAL wet behind the ears!!

Thank for the answers and patience guys.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:18 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I don't think that Bio diesel is an option currently, but I like that option a lot.

The main issue with running ATF and or Veggie Oil is that it can damage your seals/ gel up correct?
Old 01-28-2017, 12:48 PM

The main issue with veggie oil is the glycerin not fully burning. The issue with ATF, although this seems to be up for debate, are the friction modifiers added to make it ATF. I would assume old filtered ATF is better than new.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:56 PM
Banned

The THEORETICAL issue with ATF is not due to friction modifiers, it's about it not burning fully. We all know that atf used to be very flammable and have heard the stories of guys leaking trans fluid on an exhaust pipe and burning the vehicle down. Well engineers caught onto this issue and began to formulate an ATF that is much more difficult to burn, in comparison to diesel.

Anyhow, it's not intended as a fuel additive but as a fuel alternative.

I'd still recommend bio or optilube as an additive. Some have had success with WMO but in much larger quantities, like 1:20
Old 01-28-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Saw our fleet mechanic yesterday and he swears by Lucas injector cleaner. Said his VW is up 3mpg after running it for a few tanks.

Asked him if it would give my Gradall any more power and he laughed, I was serious...
Old 01-29-2017, 12:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In Virginia? Put Diesel in the tank and drive it. Splitting atoms is for powerstroke owners. soy shield...smh.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:33 PM

I know Virginia isn't that harsh of a climate, but it doesn't negate that these old diesel engines were not designed with ULSD in mind.

That being said, can i put ULSD diesel in it and drive it, yes.

Do I want to? Not really. That is why I was asking about adding an additive specifically for Lubricity.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to check out Stanadyne until I can look into running some biodiesel.

Last edited by TheMrAMack; 01-29-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Explanation
Old 01-30-2017, 04:27 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Its gells a bit quicker than #2 summer diesel. Not an issue after Nov 1 with additives/blended Canuck pump fuel. Just avoid the Irving crap

Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
I don't even know if bio-diesel is available up here in Canada ... I'm sure it is but I've never noticed.

Anyways I'm all for "cleaning " the fuel system anyway I can do if I can find it I may give it a couple tanks full and see what the filter looks like ... any troubles with it gelling up or just the usual splash of howles or power service and good to go??

Thanks again.. SD
That works ok on an oil lubricated P-pump, though engine oil works well enough ;-)

50/50 mix of ATF will reduce mileage; unless he gets it free & saves $.

Originally Posted by j.fonder
Ugh. Ford owners. Not.

Originally Posted by G1625S
In Virginia? Put Diesel in the tank and drive it. Splitting atoms is for powerstroke owners. soy shield...smh.
Generally any fleet diesel stations are safe, and some have the SynShield decal on them - this is Schaeffer's excellent fuel additive that's dumped in bulk tanks...call it the Billy Big Rigger equivalent of SoyShield
Old 01-31-2017, 12:14 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by ofelas

50/50 mix of ATF will reduce mileage; unless he gets it free & saves $.
Some ATF I've seen has a red dye. Might get you busted for running farm diesel.

Quick Reply: Fuel Additives?