1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel Additives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel Additives?

Hey Everyone!

Before I ask my question, thanks to a bunch of you who helped me out over the years. After marriage, the old cummins fell by the wayside. I didn't really need it, nor did I have the parking for it.

Well that has changed! Luckily, I have hung onto "Big Red" and will be using it more frequently for work and a small business I am starting this year.

What Fuel Additives do you all recommend? I'm not a fan of ULSD. If I ever thought I needed a little more lube I would grab a quart of ATF, or about a quart of veggie oil. As a sidenote, the veggie oil seemed to really quieten the truck down. Do any of you run Stanadayne? I've heard good things about their formulas at the local diesel shop I was working at in 2016.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
i have herd good things about the stanadyne fuel additives in the duramax world having a very noticeable mileage difference, as for the first gens i have not herd of anything yet, i might just have to try it in mine as i do drive 50km a day to get to work and back.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
stanadyne is cummins and bosch approved, so there is that.

biodiesel is the best if you can find stations that sell it. we have a chain of stations here now that that's all they offer for diesel. i try to fill there as often as possible.

some other good additives are optilube XPD and Soy Shield.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 PM

Standadyne, FPPF, OptiLube, and Power Service.

-Kris
Old 01-15-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Biodiesel? Other than the praises that Willie sings about it at his station south of Dallas, this is the first "fill every chance" endorsement I have seen. Why biodiesel? I get putting in lube additives, but full tank, bio, half and half, or other ratio?

Not doubting, I just don't know why.

​​
Old 01-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bmouser
Biodiesel? Other than the praises that Willie sings about it at his station south of Dallas, this is the first "fill every chance" endorsement I have seen. Why biodiesel? I get putting in lube additives, but full tank, bio, half and half, or other ratio?

Not doubting, I just don't know why.

​​
Lubricity. It's better than any additive. It's usually only 2-6% bio at the pump. Just change your fuel filter after the second tank of it because it will clean your tank and lines out very well.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:58 PM

Personally, I'd love to run bio diesel, its kind of hard to find in Southwest Virginia though. Sidenote: what is it with guys suggesting to run 2 cycle? I understand its lubricating properties, I worked in landscaping for six years. What makes it better than say a quart of ATF?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMrAMack
Personally, I'd love to run bio diesel, its kind of hard to find in Southwest Virginia though. Sidenote: what is it with guys suggesting to run 2 cycle? I understand its lubricating properties, I worked in landscaping for six years. What makes it better than say a quart of ATF?
2 cycle is marginal compared to biodiesel, optilube, or soyshield. Sure, it's better than nothing, but money better spent on the others.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
I believe the theory is that 2 Stroke oil is designed to be burned where as ATF is not.
It is also designed to be a lubricant in the 2 stroke motors so there is obviously a lubrication component.

I've used the cheap Walmart 2 stroke oil and regular non winter PowerService in mine with out issue, actually filtered engine oil and put that in too.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:28 PM

Good stuff, Ill keep what you all mentioned in mind.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:11 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't even know if bio-diesel is available up here in Canada ... I'm sure it is but I've never noticed.

Anyways I'm all for "cleaning " the fuel system anyway I can do if I can find it I may give it a couple tanks full and see what the filter looks like ... any troubles with it gelling up or just the usual splash of howles or power service and good to go??

Thanks again.. SD
Old 01-16-2017, 06:23 AM

Its available here, just hard to find.

In the 12 or so years the truck has been in the family, I don't remember it ever gelling up. We always ran diesel 911 during the winter months.
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:50 AM
Banned

Can't answer the gelling biodiesel question but I asssume it would gel just as #2 would. I just run winter blend, no cold weather additive, when I'm up north and no issues.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Technology Pamphlet from Cummins

If you haven't already seen this, you might find it interesting.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Alec
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Technology Pamphlet from Cummins

If you haven't already seen this, you might find it interesting.
I thought there would be a test at the end.

Thanks for posting that.

Quick Reply: Fuel Additives?