1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Borgeson shaft safety alert!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaft collapse ? ?

As I understand the shaft needs to be able to flex about 1/4 inch to allow for body, frame, engine movement, and if it cannot there will be great stress on the u joint bearings prematurely wearing them out. I plan to put in a pin to stop further movement which would also stop the tendency to slip off the splines which was my problem. (see Borgeson thread on TDR1 under 1st gens)
Old 03-30-2008, 04:24 AM
Chapter President

Question

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Get the Borgeson and install it. Then put a tack weld where it can collapse. The tack weld will keep the column from falling apart, but everything will still collapse in a crash,

I think I am an idiot Dave I am not understanding how this all works.

There is a spline shaft on the steering box, a splint to rag joint on the column side, the "slip" shaft and u joints or u to rag borgeson go in between, or so I thought. What comes apart? what way does it go to fall off?

The column breaks, falls forward, the borgeson can slip on its splines far enough for the factory shaft to fall out of place?? I think thats right anybody have a better explanation?

If so, than tacking the borgeson shaft would not allow the unit to compress. How much play can the system have (on the borgeson shaft side) before failure? I am assuming that a tack just above so it can not fully compress and still have the movement is what you are talking about.

Sure wish I had an exploded view (or a connect the dots picture ) for this!

Sorry that I am such an idiot, I just cant see what you guys are talking about in my mind or the posted pics.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The insides of the column have a solid shaft riding inside a tubular shaft. When the column is manufactured, melted plastic is injected between them at a point where they are both drilled, this keeps the lower shaft from falling out of the upper shaft but is weak enough to break in a crash and let the column collapse and protect the driver. This plastic is what fails and lets the column fall apart. The lower shaft is of similar construction, look at it closely and maybe things will be a little clearer.

The column breaks, falls forward, the borgeson can slip on its splines far enough for the factory shaft to fall out of place?? I think thats right anybody have a better explanation?
That's exactly what happens. A tack weld or a set screw on the Borgeson shaft will solve the problem without having to get a new column. The plastic up inside the column doesn't do anything as far as rotational force is concerned, it just keeps the two pieces from slipping apart.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Chapter President

Thanks dave, sometimes I just cant figure these things out and then I do with out even knowing it!

Borgeson here I come!

(account balance: $000.00 )

ok maybe later,
Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My borgeson shaft just decided to strip out on me one day. Has anyone else had that happen to them?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
No, but my first shaft got so rusted it couldn't be salvaged when I had to replace the steering box. The new one got liberally coated with bearing grease to prevent it from happening again. I should remove it sometime and paint it with POR or similar
Old 12-13-2009, 04:57 PM

anyone know of a reasonable way to verify that the plastic in the shaft is not broken?

does the plastic fail simply because it is old and brittle, or is it because of some undue stress put on the parts?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1stGen545
Just a thought but If you use the collar like you are suppose to it cant fall out any way. It will not allow the shaft to telescope. Sounds like some of you are blaming a Dodge prob on Borgenson. How could they know that the steering coulomb would fall apart. Had a friend that had the steering wheel come off the coulomb in his Jeep.

With all due respect, Dodge isn't the cause of this either. Mopar steering columns are manufactured by the same company that makes them for GM, and likely Ford as well. I believe it may be Saginaw, but I'm not sure. Regardless, blaming Dodge is silly.

And for the record, this isn't the first time I've seen the borgeson shafts come apart due to someone NOT tightening that set screw. Some folks have gone so far as to install the shaft, tighten the set screw and then remove the entire assembly again...and grind a small flat or drill a small indent where the set screw goes. That way when the set screw is tightened down, it CAN'T move.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 PM

Did it to me going 55 on a two lane during a long sweeping curve! I also had my trailer and 79 PW on the back. Talk about making your butt pucker! And to make matters worse I was 200 miles from home and still had to drive back to get my kids since the wife was along for the ride. Made a quick fix to get to my destination, but had the shaft come apart just as I was getting there. Either way I drilled a small hole inserted a screw, and added a couple hose clamps for good measure. If I get in an accident these mods will break loose and allow the shaft to collapse. It has held for about 2yrs now and I no longer worry about it.
DS79
Old 01-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Reviving an old thread

Can anyone tell me if Borgeson has... since this thread was posted by BobVA.... corrected or adapted, or modified it's steering shafts to correct the falling out / dropping out shaft issue?

Thanks !

T.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
i installed one a few months ago and I'm sure it mentioned grinding a flat spot where the set screw goes. I did that anyway and I can't recall thinking of it on my own
Old 08-03-2014, 11:49 PM

So glad I found this thread. My Borgeson shaft seperated from the steering wheel shaft as it exits the firewall. Happened at low speed, thank goodness, but was scary as hell nonetheless. Gonna make some mods this week to correct the problem. Will post the results.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've never like the way they use set screws to hold the shaft on the splines. I took mine out of the box looked at it and put it back in and returned it. For something as critical as a steering shaft I just don't trust set screws.

A friend of mine has one on his CJ and its come loose twice, after the 2nd time he replaced the set screws with a bolt and locknut.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Thanks for digging up this thread. I've been considering going with one of their shafts...but now I'm not so sure.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by cLAYH
I've never like the way they use set screws to hold the shaft on the splines. I took mine out of the box looked at it and put it back in and returned it. For something as critical as a steering shaft I just don't trust set screws.

A friend of mine has one on his CJ and its come loose twice, after the 2nd time he replaced the set screws with a bolt and locknut.
When I made the one for my jeep I used a longer set screw and a locknut.

Quick Reply: Borgeson shaft safety alert!