1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Headlights no longer suck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Lightbulb Headlights no longer suck!

I finally got around to wiring my headlights with relays for more voltage. Made a big difference, the light is much whiter. The high beams are awesome, I used a 3rd relay to turn both filaments on when the high beams are selected. This should also prevent the headlight switch from burning out, it takes about 10 amps of load off the switch.

Parts needed are a bunch of wire and spade terminals, 3 Bosch type universal 30 amp relays, 2 headlight pigtails (Motormite 85810), and a 30 amp self resetting circuit breaker. Total cost for the parts was less than $15 (not including the wire and terminals, I had them already). I'll try to draw a decent wiring diagram for those who are interested and post it in my gallery.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Diagram here:
Old 08-05-2005, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good work, dave!!!!!! i'll have to get my electrical genius buddy on that one(it's just one of those things i CANNOT seem to grasp). he can do it for both of our trucks.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Adminstrator-ess

If I was better at drawing wiring diagrams I think it would be easier to grasp.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:32 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Thum of uth tards need pictures pleeth
Old 08-06-2005, 11:42 AM

Well I found the auto reset circuit breaker in the jkyd today. Free!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:45 AM

I can't wait to do mine... Then I might drive after sunset

Michael
Old 08-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally posted by Redleg
Thum of uth tards need pictures pleeth
I'm not sure that would help much, it would be hard to follow the wires in a picture. If you have any questions about the diagram (besides "How did you get out of 2nd grade with handwriting like that?" ) I will be happy to answer them.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:50 PM

I've always wanted to install Hella's H2 conversion kit. Any feedback on this?

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...ision_Plus.jsp
Old 08-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I was thinking about those. They are very pricey (around $90 for a pair) and I don't see how they can be any brighter than a set of Silverstars unless you swap in a set of high watt (illegal) bulbs. No doubt they are much better than a standard halogen, but I can't see how they would be better than a premium headlight.

One thing I really like about the old-tech replaceable headlights like we have is that you get a new lens and reflector each time you change bulbs. If you look at the headlights on a modern vehicle that's more than a couple years old, the lenses and reflectors don't look so hot and the light output has to have deteriorated some.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by wannadiesel

One thing I really like about the old-tech replaceable headlights like we have is that you get a new lens and reflector each time you change bulbs. If you look at the headlights on a modern vehicle that's more than a couple years old, the lenses and reflectors don't look so hot and the light output has to have deteriorated some.
You are absolutely correct, I didn't think about that
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe a silly question, but where does one shop for a universal relay? Is it a parts store sort of thing? It's time I take the plunge since I haven't had headlights for about 3 weeks

Dave: did you run a separate toggle switch for lights or is your factory one still working? I like the toggle switch to flash the big rigs in and out of lanes w/out having to run the parking lights.

g
Old 08-07-2005, 09:19 PM

Dave-

how did you get out of 2nd grade with handwr..........oh......forget it.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:03 AM

I put an old foot operated high beam switch on the floor to operate my driving lights. I use these to flash the big rigs in and out of lanes, and those pesky new cars that think they have to have all four of their headlights on at all times.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally posted by G1625S
Maybe a silly question, but where does one shop for a universal relay? Is it a parts store sort of thing? It's time I take the plunge since I haven't had headlights for about 3 weeks

Dave: did you run a separate toggle switch for lights or is your factory one still working? I like the toggle switch to flash the big rigs in and out of lanes w/out having to run the parking lights.

g
Auto parts stores carry them, they are usually with fog lights and such. They are also usually overpriced, Advance quoted me $8 and change for one. I got mine for a buck apiece before shipping. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=330-073 If you can find them locally for $3 each you are doing OK.

I used the factory headlight wires in the left headlight plug to trigger the relays, so the headlights work as normal. I gould actually unplug the wires and put the plugs back on the headlights if anything went wrong with the relays. If your switch is fried, replace it and do the relays. Doing the relays takes about 10 amps of load off the switch, that will make it run a lot cooler.

Quick Reply: Headlights no longer suck!