3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

cant find drive shaft grease fittings

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant find drive shaft grease fittings

i have been trying to find the grease fitting on my front and rear drive shafts. are they there? and if no fittings how do i grease the drive shafts?
has anyone else had the same problem. appeciate any info

2006 dct quad cab 4x4 6 speed manual dually
Old 12-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is a very common post on here and on TDR, as well as on John Holmes, Carson Dodge forum. Here's a picture I stole from someone else. Front only is lubed, rear has no fitting. You're actually lubing the cardan joint, not the universals.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails cant find drive shaft grease fittings-frntdrivelubept.jpg  
Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 AM

I have brought my "05 to 3 different dealers since Ive owned it, and I made them look while I was standing underneath with them. I dont have the little indention on my front u-joint that the pic shows, and Thats why I got under the truck with the dealers mechanic that was working in it so we both could confirm it. I even have the lil sticker on my radiator housing saying and showing that this point needs to be lubed, but I dont have it. The last dealer I was at, we got in there with a little flathead screwdriver, and a lil pick, to maybe try to scrape away any dirt, and stuff, to see if there was a lil cap or something, but there was nothing, just a solid u-joing with no grease access at all.

Is there anybody else that has a truck with absolutely no access on their front u-joint to even get a needle fitting in there, or Am I the only one??
Old 12-06-2007, 05:53 AM

i think there is no grease fittings other than tie rods
Old 12-06-2007, 08:06 AM

I am not sure, but mine has what looks to be a grease fitting but it is one of those fittings that you press special type grease gun against (instead of sanping the grease hose over a nipple) Not sure, but i think that is what it is? anyone confirm please??
Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 AM

Guys,

The u-joints do not have grease fittings on them from the factory.

The front CV shaft DOES have a grease fitting on it!!

First, for some orientation, The CV joint is on the Transfer case end of the front driveshaft.
There IS a grease Zerk there, but it doesn't look like the ones on your Tie rod ends. This one is a low profile Zerk, and takes a "Needle" fitting on your grease gun to inject grease into it.

Stop looking at the U-joint, and look behind the U-joint at the casting for the CV!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 AM

thanks for the pic, now i know where to look. at least i know im not the only one that has had this problem.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I attempted to find that fitting a dozen or so times before I actually found it! Keep looking it's there. Jack up drivers side front tire, print that picture and take that and a flashlight under the truck and rotate the tire so the shaft turns and you will find it. BTW I really don't know how critical it is to grease that joint. I put on over 50K miles with no problems before I greased it.

Mike
Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by wildcat
Guys,

The u-joints do not have grease fittings on them from the factory.

The front CV shaft DOES have a grease fitting on it!!

First, for some orientation, The CV joint is on the Transfer case end of the front driveshaft.
There IS a grease Zerk there, but it doesn't look like the ones on your Tie rod ends. This one is a low profile Zerk, and takes a "Needle" fitting on your grease gun to inject grease into it.

Stop looking at the U-joint, and look behind the U-joint at the casting for the CV!
I Looked!!, and looked ALL over, And I forgot to mention, I printed out another thread, just like this one, that had that same pic on, and remember standing there with the mechanic, and the printed out posts with the pic, we were both spinning the front shaft while the truck was on the lift, had a big spot light shinning on it, and we both determined, I have a solid u-joint, and there was NO cap, fitting, hole, or anything to get grease in there. I purposly mentioned it to the three dealers, so If I ever do have a problem, its recorded that I did mention it, and was there to have it greased, but was no way to do it, so now they cant uses the excuse, "Hey, there was a fitting there, why didnt you ever grease it".

I have seen alot of posts about this subject, and have seen that pic thats above alot. Alot of people said that there is a Little metal cap that you have to pop off, and sometimes theres mud or dirt or anything that can hide it. I just dont have it, lol
Old 12-06-2007, 11:03 AM

"Alot of people said that there is a Little metal cap that you have to pop off, and sometimes theres mud or dirt or anything that can hide it"

There's No Cap or Plug. Basically you are looking for a pin hole. Go figure

Mike
Old 12-06-2007, 02:30 PM

My 05' has it. It's a pain to find the first time, but once you do find it, it easy after that.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
Ia big spot light shinning on it, and we both determined, I have a solid u-joint, and there was NO cap, fitting, hole, or anything to get grease in there.
I'm not argueing the fact that you have a solid U-joint. I have them, too... so does everyone else who hasn't replaced them with aftermarket greasables.

I AM saying there IS a fitting on the casting BEHIND the front u-joint in the CV. The grease fitting is for the CV BETWEEN THE 2 U-JOINTS!

NOTE: The U-joint is a reference used to LOCATE the fitting. The U-joint doesn't HAVE a fitting itself.

I find it pretty incomprehensible that Dodge would just build your truck without one! But I guess stranger things have happened, huh?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 PM

It IS there. On mine it was covered in dirt, and the dirt was rusty so it was INVISIBLE.......till I got under there with a can of brake kleen and cleaned everything up a bit, then it stood out like a turd in a punch bowl.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 PM

I went out and bought the needle for this tiny little thing and I couldn't find it. . .guess I need to look again. . . . . Gettin closer. . . .
Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Still lookin for mine as well.

Quick Reply: cant find drive shaft grease fittings