24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

acetone as an additive = better MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question acetone as an additive = better MPG???

Any truth to this

One ounce of acetone added to ten gallons of diesel fuel will reduce soot and improve fuel mileage an average of 22-percent. You will also notice a slight gain in performance.

http://www.lubedev.com/articles/tips.htm
Old 03-15-2004, 05:23 PM

more info

http://www.lubedev.com/articles/additive.htm
Old 03-15-2004, 06:25 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We used to use acetone as a poor mans race fuel, too much and youll be picking up parts of your pistons in a gas motor. you couldnt pay me enough to run a corrosive item like that though my injectors, injector pump and then try and burn it. Just my thoughts Good luck if it works keep us posted, but i wont try it.
Dusty
Old 03-15-2004, 06:51 PM

Seen a lot of things come and go, most of them silly and obvious... but never heard of this one. I'm no chemistry rocket scientist or anything by any means, but this sounds hokey to me, just doesn't seem logical that such a small of anything could make that significant a change in mileage/performance, portions of it may hold true (maybe the emissions?).

I think these numbers are accurate (if not someone more qualified has permission to jump on my head and tell me otherwise) but it's my beliefs that giving a properly tuned diesel engine burns nearly 70-75% of the fuel for each combustion and a gasser is somewhere near 60%....the only way to get the gains mentioned would mean you would have to increase the overall efficiency burning that remaining fuel while still in a productive portion of the power stroke. For scavenging engines that use some the still burning fuel running out the exhuast there would little left for them to actually produce power from. Still looking at a purely physical perspective the amount of fuel injected into the engine isn't going to change, so to see that much a gain seems very improbable.

Smells like snake oil to me. With some more research I would consider trying it in a lawn mower engine I wasn't very fond of, but not so willing to try it in my truck
Old 03-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Banned

well I dono nothin and most of the time I can proove it...it all comes dwn to btu (s) and a push on the piston. What is being said is not enough ratio to change anything or even hurt yout ctd.
In the cold in WY. we use to 20% gas to diesels to stop them from gelling................never saw improvment in milage......
tmo
Old 03-17-2004, 05:42 AM

At a mix ratio of 1,280:1 I suspect the acetone acts as a combustion improver, providing better atomization of the fuel, after reading through those articles. At that concentration, the solvency effects should be beneficial, rather than harmful. Note they only recommend it's use on every other tankful. Acetone's rated octance is 150.

Schaeffer's Speciality Lubricants produces a fuel treatment product called Neutra that acts in the same way, and is safe to use in both gasoline and diesel engines.