1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

cab roof?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cab roof?

1st post here I found the site via a google search regarding Dodge truck cab roof rust.
I had a "hit" on the subject that took me to a post where some one else was asking how to fix; someone responded to PM them because I take it they had a good roof and pillars.
After I registered here I could not get back to that post to see who here it was that had it; I searched for a couple hours before posting this;
My son has a 90 W 250 (its a gasser but the bodies are the same) with a cab that is shot; he fixed the floor but the cab corners rockers and roof are shot.
We fixed the roof by hand laying fiberglass over the cancer so he can stay dry but it looks bad.
We live in Illinois/ the road salt capital of the world.
My son was in the local junkyard and saw a real clean 91 W 250 except for the roof... come to find out it was a Colorado truck until recently.
We went and stripped the whole body yesterday except the cab to transplant onto the kid's truck... we got a quote on the cab because it is absolutely solid except that roof I would like to buy the cab, but not unless I find a good roof panel to swap onto it

ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD ROOF from a 81-93 regular cab available?

He also has a rust free 89 Ramcharger that we drove back from vegas that sits in the garage during "salt season"
and I have had more Dodge trucks '78-89 than I care to remember over the years/ wish I had a few back. I have never owned anything that wasn't a Dodge or a Jeep/
Current rides;
93 Dakota clubcab daily driver
97 Wrangler
01 Durango, Wife's daily
78 Fury Sport 51K original miles Sunday driver
80 volare eternal resto mod project in pieces
89 Ramcharger belongs to my son
90 W 250 son's daily driver
Old 09-14-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I know of a few but they are in Vermont…
Old 09-14-2014, 11:02 AM

I have one but I'm in CA. I believe I remember seeing a mopar site selling one a few months ago, if you wanted to pay the shipping on it.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:46 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Welcome aboard. At the top of this section is the FAQ sticky, there is a huge amount of information on how to's there. Unfortunately nothing on roof rot which is very common on thee trucks. There is a web site www.cars-parts.com that lists parts from a large number of salvage yards.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:58 PM

oliver and 209; huh 2 polar opposites that's weird.

I would expect Vermont to be as bad as Illinois for rust but never having been there I could be wrong; shipping from CA or Vt would probably be close to the same cost since I'm basically in the middle. just for Edit and gins I wonder what shipping would cost...

I know it would be cheaper to buy a good cab than to buy this "mostly" good one and then find a roof for it but I'm weighing possibilities/ I have a torch a MIG a sandblaster (pressure pot) and a torch here at home and do know hoe to use them!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by volaredon
1st post here I found the site via a google search regarding Dodge truck cab roof rust.
I had a "hit" on the subject that took me to a post where some one else was asking how to fix; someone responded to PM them because I take it they had a good roof and pillars.
After I registered here I could not get back to that post to see who here it was that had it; I searched for a couple hours before posting this;
My son has a 90 W 250 (its a gasser but the bodies are the same) with a cab that is shot; he fixed the floor but the cab corners rockers and roof are shot.
We fixed the roof by hand laying fiberglass over the cancer so he can stay dry but it looks bad.
My son was in the local junkyard and saw a real clean 91 W 250 except for the roof... come to find out it was a Colorado truck until recently.
We went and stripped the whole body yesterday except the cab to transplant onto the kid's truck... we got a quote on the cab because it is absolutely solid except that roof I would like to buy the cab, but not unless I find a good roof panel to swap onto it

He also has a rust free 89 Ramcharger that we drove back from vegas that sits in the garage during "salt season"
and I have had more Dodge trucks '78-89 than I care to remember over the years/ wish I had a few back. I have never owned anything that wasn't a Dodge or a Jeep/
Current rides;
97 Wrangler
01 Durango, Wife's daily

Here is a really nice one. I just found this site and found the truck on the 2nd page...Mark
Old 09-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Current rides;
97 Wrangler
01 Durango, Wife's daily

What part of Illinois? I might know of one near Streator, about 100 miles SSW of Chicago.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:52 PM

I AM in Kankakee about 50 miles east of Streator on 17

what do you know of a whole cab or a salvageable roof panel?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I AM in Kankakee about 50 miles east of Streator on 17

what do you know of a whole cab or a salvageable roof panel?
Got a buddy with a junkyard, there was an 89 with a good roof. Let me call him, will be dirt cheap if he hasn't rolled it over to work on the bottom yet.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:00 PM

patdaly pm sent