3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Don M back log

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don M back log

Hey guys,
Does anyone know what Don's backlog is? I sent him the bad injector out of my truck but have no idea when I will be getting it back. Of course you can't talk to Don and when I call Scott at Mass diesel he just says you'll know when I do... Tell ya what that answer sucks... I have put over $30,000 into this truck in the last 6 months and and almost 1/2 of that is due to injector problems... I know Don makes a great injector and there has to be a good reason that I'm having injector problems but I don't know what it is. I have addressed everything I can think of and continue to have problems. Very frustrating! of course adding to my frustration is when I do have troubles I cant talk to the expert about it. I'm thinking about ordering another set of injectors and would like some advice on who I should talk to. I want to be able to talk directly to someone if there is a problem. Any suggestions? I know Don is very good and it seems he has a great following so he obviously does a great job but this isnt working for me anymore. I dont like not knowing when I can get my truck back on the road. This is a big part of how I make my living.
Don if you read this - this is not in anyway meant to be a dig to you. I know your product is a great product and there has to be a problem on my end. I also appreciate all the hurry up service that I have received in the past!!! We both know what I'm talking about. Thanks again for that. I just need to be able to get to the bottom of this. It's costing me way to much money.
Thanks guys,
Topper
Old 07-04-2010, 12:31 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry nobody is communicating to you. I loathe this.

The day the injector arrived I noticed a few things and asked Source for some guidance. The nozzle was ours, 100% certain. The injector body, on the other hand, was not built by us. The nozzle is 100% good. The body; is stuck in the open position. This is most likely...with high certainty a piece of metal, dirt, etc holding the injector open. Something went through the fuel system, in all likelihood.
I was told to send the complete injector back to Source so they could get this handled. Obviously I cant do a thing about another companies part in the way of dis-assembly or warranty, etc. Source had me overnight it back to speed things up for you. I did this. Source should have received it last week. Perhaps Friday.

From here I dont know their plans, but in ALL cases I know of....... it is always a good outcome for the end user. It does seem however that this injector is stuck open from a fault not in itself a problem with the injector, but rather something inside it. Dirt, etc.

I have found inside injectors: chunks of CP3 pump plungers or metal left over from a modification of the FCA, rubber hose particles, red liquid locktite that had hardened up, sand, dogs hair, etc. On rare occasions I have found parts inside the Cummins injectors that were intended for other models of Bosch injectors as well. Either a factory mistake or a rebuilder who made a mistake.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Nice.....I like to see vendors that can work together
Old 07-04-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Topper
there has to be a good reason that I'm having injector problems but I don't know what it is. I have addressed everything I can think of and continue to have problems.
Are you still running the filters that came with the FASS? With all your mods I presume its a 150..

Did you know that the FS1023 (FASS fuel/water sep) is actually not a water separator at all! Its a strainer that has a drain for sediment that is caught by the 100um wire screen. It got labled FS (Fleetguard f/w sep line) becuase of the drain. There isn't an ounce of water stripping material in the filter!

The other thing is the 3um filter for final filtration is a hydraulic filter, so its multi-pass rated as hydraulic systems are closed loop... This means its not 3um single pass (which is what fuel filters are rated on). It has never been tested single-pass by Fleetguard, but based on my research I would guess its anywhere from 5-7um absolute.

While this may or may not be the root of your injector issues its worth fixing. Put a Baldwin BF1212 in place of the FS1023, and you may consider a Donaldson P551313 or Cat 1R-0750 down the line from the FASS to ensure 2um single-pass ratings.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:57 PM

Don Thank you! I think, at least I hope you know that I am a fan of your injectors. This is my 3rd set. Just to fill in some of the blanks for you I built a new engine for my truck and installed the injectors that came out of the engine that I took out of the truck. In the back of my mind I should have sent the injectors back to you but I didn't. I wasn't having any issues with the injectors and they only had about 20,000 miles on them. (I have the oil sampled every oil change). Well the new engine ran great for 500 miles changed the oil had it sampled all checked out fine. I hooked my trailer and towed a load 600 miles. Got home at 3am and the engine just didn't sound right. Checked the oil and sure enough about 3" over full. Drained the oil and yup bearing material. I wiped out the bearings,crank,piston pins , bushings and I found out after I started the next new engine the turbo. Well I overnighted you the injectors and # 4 was stuck open. You sent them to a place in I believe Oregon( Oregon Performance maybe)where they ran the tips through their tip hone and installed the tips on new Bosch bodies and overnighted them back to me. I have about 12,000 miles on the new injectors and now I have another problem. I have been as careful as I can be at every step trying to keep the fuel clean. I run lucas fuel treatment in every tank. I even go as far as wiping the fuel nozzle with a rag before I fuel up everytime. I'm not sure what I can do to clean the system any more. I will pull all the lines one more time and flush out the rail 1 more time then each line when I reinstall them.
Don again I appreciate your jumping on this and getting the injector turned around. You have never let me down. I just wish it would be easier to communicate with you. I do understand the situation however.
Randy
Topper
Old 07-04-2010, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the advice AH64ID. I will have a Baldwin 1212 on there Tuesday.
Thanks again,
Topper
Old 07-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I watch wind blow...

Notice Don M responded on July 4th....... Thanks Don.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:29 PM

I cought that too! There is a reason that he has the following that he has.
Topper
Old 07-05-2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Are you still running the filters that came with the FASS? With all your mods I presume its a 150..

Did you know that the FS1023 (FASS fuel/water sep) is actually not a water separator at all! Its a strainer that has a drain for sediment that is caught by the 100um wire screen. It got labled FS (Fleetguard f/w sep line) becuase of the drain. There isn't an ounce of water stripping material in the filter!

The other thing is the 3um filter for final filtration is a hydraulic filter, so its multi-pass rated as hydraulic systems are closed loop... This means its not 3um single pass (which is what fuel filters are rated on). It has never been tested single-pass by Fleetguard, but based on my research I would guess its anywhere from 5-7um absolute.

While this may or may not be the root of your injector issues its worth fixing. Put a Baldwin BF1212 in place of the FS1023, and you may consider a Donaldson P551313 or Cat 1R-0750 down the line from the FASS to ensure 2um single-pass ratings.
Is there a better filter or WS for the smaller body FASS 95 series than the FASS or Fleetguard filters?? I run the Fleetguard FF 5712 and the FS 19768...
Old 07-05-2010, 05:27 AM

dodgediesel makes a good point. My pump is a FASS 95 not a 150.Will tha baldwin 1212 work on the 95???
Thanks guys,
Topper
Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 AM

Is there a water seperator that fits a fass 150 that seperates water? I had no idea the water seperator didn't seperate water. Oh and i am on my 3rd set of sticks too
Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Don,....as always,....THANK YOU for getting on here and helping your customers out! The fact that you were on here on July 4th doesn't surprise me at all!

FWIW,....my Son, John Jr. has a set of Don's F-1 Injectors in his 2004 Dodge CTD CR and has had virtually NO PROBLEMS AT ALL with them since the installation FIVE (5) years ago! Everyone that knows my Son knows that he runs his truck HARD too! It is still one of the fastest six-speed 2004 Dodge CTD CR Trucks having run a 12.6@110 MPH!

Last year, we sent his F-1 Injectors out to Don through Tim Barber at "TRE Diesel" just to "make sure" everything was alright but Don said all six (6) of those injectors looked fine! Now, my Son is running extra fuel filters in his system, so that may account for the his great dependability with his F-1 Injectors, but I have to say that much of it also is due to Don's great work on the injectors.

Don,....thanks again!

--------
John_P
Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Topper sorry for the derail!

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Is there a better filter or WS for the smaller body FASS 95 series than the FASS or Fleetguard filters?? I run the Fleetguard FF 5712 and the FS 19768...
The small filters that run on the FASS 95 size are an odd-ball thread size. For the f/w sep you can get a Luberfiner LFF9594 which has a 90GPH rating, 95% free water and 75% emulsified water sep, so its the closest you can get to stock.

The problem with the FF5712 is its only 10um absolute, and I haven't found a filter in that thread size that is better than 10um with a flow rate that will even come close to working, as it is the FF5712 is only rated at 60GPH.

Guys that run the 95 pump with the 95 filters are really getting screwed by FASS, the instructions call to remove the OE filter, yet the 95 filters are much worse in every aspect than stock. Guys spend a ton of money thinking they are helping their injectors, when really they are probably doing more damage to them than they were stock.

Originally Posted by Topper
dodgediesel makes a good point. My pump is a FASS 95 not a 150.Will tha baldwin 1212 work on the 95???
Thanks guys,
Topper
The 1212 wont work on the 95/95 pump (the one that comes with the FS19768) since the thread size is different. I understand FASS made some 95/150 pumps that are the 95 pump with the 150 filters, the 1212 would work on those pumps.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:06 AM

Hey John,
Great to hear about all the good luck your son is having with Dons injectors! Like I stated before I and everybody knows he makes good stuff. I do have a question though how many miles did your son rack up in 5 yrs? In my world that would be somewhere between 400-600,000 miles. I would love anything on my truck to last that long...
Topper