3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Slop in Steering Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Slop in Steering Shaft

I took my truck to the alignment shop today to get it aligned after installing the upgraded steering parts, truck still seems to wander a good bit, after a good bit of tinkering with it the shop and I together found the problem, the coupling on the steering shaft has a roll pin in it and it has wallowed out the hole, this is giving me about a quarter turn of slop in the steering wheel, so from the alignment shop I went to the dealer thinking I'd pick the part up and be good to go, not so much they didn't have the parts in stock not that it mattered they said i'd have to replace the upper and lower shaft parts at a cost of over 800 bux, my jaw hit the floor anyone else had a similar experience?? I know steering is nothing to skimp on but 800 bux is ridiculous there's nothing electronic to it, to me it seems like their just trying to stick it to me, gonna look around and see if I can find the parts any cheaper any suggestions??
Old 03-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cheaper and better Borgeson shaft from Genos

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....er=BORG-000951
Old 03-06-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Drill the hole out bigger, so that it's round again and put a larger pin in it. That is the cheapest fix.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Wow quick responces thanks guys, gonna get the replacement shaft from genos!! This sight comes through yet again!!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 PM

So I got the shaft and ended up waiting the past week on the weather to break so I could install, I went to install it today and got the old shaft out no worries but going back in with the new one it seems like it's way to long, I followed the directions to a T and the slip joint is all the way collapsed but the shaft is still coming down past the splines on the steering box.... any ideas I'm wondering if it's possible the shaft I received was mislabeled cause I just don't see how it's gonna fit.....
Thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 PM

Call Genos...................
Old 10-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Did you end up getting it to work and what did you think of the finished product?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you get a Borgsen shaft from Geno's? If so yes its too long, I had the same problem. The shop I bought it from offered to cut it down for me but after looking at the cheesy locknuts on the yokes and reading a thread on here about someone who had his fall off I decided not to install it and send it back.

Looking at my old shaft I found where the top shaft joins the bottom there is roll pin pressed into some rubber. I believe this is supposed to dampen some of the road vibration coming up from the box. The rubber around the roll pin had deteriorated causing a lot of slop in the steering I pressed out the roll pin and drilled the hole out for a 9/16ths bolt. I then installed a gr8 bolt with a locking nut and cut the excess bolt of so it would not catch on anything. I tightened it up so that the upper shaft is locked solidly to the lower shaft. No more slop.

Borgsen used to make high quality shafts and were a great upgrade on the older trucks. What they sent me for my truck looked like a steel shaft with a tractor implement yokes stuck on the end. The yokes were just generic yokes and not specifically for our trucks. I directions even called for filing off a flat spot on the input of the steering box for it to fit right.