1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Eaton Trans Idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eaton Trans Idea

I've been talking to this trucker at work because I was sittin' there one day thinking "Man wouldn't it be cool if I could put a eaton fuller in my dodge" It would be something different anyhow. Someone would be ridin' with me askin why I'm shiftin so many times i'll say "I'm splittin gears". It would be awesome to be able to take half a gear here half a gear there. Anyone else done this, know anyone who has done it, or know where I can find info on the swap. This truck driver I was talking to said he knows they use to put em in the old dodge wreckers and some of the old ford +superdutys that had the 12valve in em 450's and up. Anyone maybe know specific vehicles I can look into for these transmissions. The gentleman I was speaking with said he belives they are eatons, do any of ya'll know? If there was a topic along these lines prior I apologize i didnt know what to look it up under and will gladly accept a link to an early post if need be. Thanks guys.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:21 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would not want a 9 or 13 speed in mine if thats what you are talking about. they are slow to shift. You can not hurry a big tranny like that. I would think also that the size of the tranny would not fit. These things are huge and heavy. I have never seen a fuller in a 450 truck. But there are lots of things I have not seen.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:35 PM

I talked about that A few months ago. We came to the conclusion that a 3 in body lift would be needed to clear a 9 spd. Of course as with anything if you have enough money anything is possible. My idea after that was to have a 3 spd brownie box after my getrag. I thought then you could have A Low range, a one to one range, and a overdrive range. making the truck a twin stick. Thought that might be more doable than trying to shoehorn a eaton fuller in and having to have an air supply. I love when people think outside the box!!! good luck
ez
Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Nothing like that has ever been put in a light duty truck by the OEM, but there are kits available to install an overdrive/underdrive box behind your factory transmission that would allow you to effectively "split" each shift. While relatively costly, this would probably be the most efficient way to achieve what you are looking for.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
Nothing like that has ever been put in a light duty truck by the OEM, but there are kits available to install an overdrive/underdrive box behind your factory transmission that would allow you to effectively "split" each shift. While relatively costly, this would probably be the most efficient way to achieve what you are looking for.
yep you are right I have one of those gear vendor boxes in my motorhome which translates to a 9spd with 2 reverse gear's work's great.
Also I have a friend with one on his 91 1st gen 4x4 5spd right behind his t-case but with that he can't use it when in 4wheel drive.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:04 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Going up a hill from a start you might have trouble getting in the next gear before you stop. I used to drive a briggie with a 671 and a 8LL. It had no jake brake and the thing was imposible to shift if you started on a hill. The edit thing would come to a stop before you could get into next gear. My trucks have 3406's with a jake so that helps shift in those conditions. Maybee with a light truck that would not be an issue. It might be cool for a while but I know I would get sick of it real soon.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most guys with these trucks complain about shifting so much, and about how hard it is to go anywhere fast, but yes it would be cool if you dont mind doing a $&^! load of shifting.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:23 PM

Nahh I guess u can say im one of those wierd guys that feels like my truck is a part of me or i'm a part of it. I like the idea of being able to expand its ability more and me be able to have more control options. Dont mind the shifting. I much prefer standard over Autos anyday. Same goes for gauges the more the better. Toss out the idiot lights boys and let your truck talk to ya lol.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 PM

I'm gonna get a 5 or 6 speed medium-duty trans, but a heavy duty is going way too far. Which sucks because I've seen 9+ speed transmissions going for like $100 - nothing wrong with them, they're just huge and inexpensive because apparently they don't break very often!

Looking up the weights though, a medium-duty Eaton or Spicer weighs 180-280 pounds, whereas the big, double-countershaft or whatever you call them types weigh 500+ and are ENORMOUS. That's one of the main reasons why bigger trucks are so high off the ground, I think.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:17 AM
alwaysonDTR

they make a rto single over drive 9-10-13 speed thats small and only about 300 lbs and an rtx 13 speed double overdrive that is about the same, they are phisically smaller than you would think and look like they would fit fine.

perkins on this site has an rto in his ford, powerd by a perkins look in the convertions
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=201559
Old 05-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I drive a 10 speed all day and the last thing I'd want is one in my Dodge. You really don't need one, the power curve on these engines is wide enough for the gear spacing in the Getrag, especially with a 3200 RPM spring.

Putting one in your W250 would require a divorced transfer case, in addition to the body lift or severe floor mods.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:24 PM

I have the adapters and fly wheel that would bolt it all together but have not done it because of the mechanical clutch linkage. They use a pull type clutch and it is not worth the effort except for the cool factor. But who am I to talk I built and installed a fully manual valve body Allison AT-545 and divorced mount 205 and all the goodies just for sled pulling and I guess I did to good because I only got to pull with it 2 years and they changed the rules banning any trans that did not come in a 1 ton or less. Guess that's what happens when you out pull 2nd and 3rd gen guys that have a lot more $$$ in there trucks. The 3" body lift is a must just to clear the #3 or #2 SAE fly wheel housing that has to be bolted to the back of the engine to bolt the trans to I know because I have both and had the #3 in my truck and it is a little smaller than the #2 that you will have to have to put any of the twin counter shaft trans in. I spent a lot of time at a truck trans shop and got to do a lot of looking around and checking things out. If you want to do it go for it but its going to be a lot of work so just be ready. Finding the parts to adapt from the out put yoke the Allison came with to one that would take a 1410 like the dodge uses was lots of fun and with a a truck wrecking yard at your disposal like I had you will have a lot of work to do. Cant tell you how many DAYS I spent in a big truck junk yard with a tape measure and lots of time to find all the little things. I know were things were there better that they guys that worked there before it was over. Course I was friends with those guys and was up there almost every day for 6 years that helps.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
I thought about this a few years ago, but since then my knees have started to hurt. Now when I am in a traffic jam I put it in low range so I don't have to keep putting in the clutch.
I can't go slush box though, I want the control and need the mileage!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 AM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Just give me some time and I will show you one.

I already have the DANA 4-SPEED AUXILLIARY and have been gathering yokes, shafts, and the courage to fly in on it. (some call these a "brownie" but the true Brownies are BrownLipe units)

Have a look :

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/spicer-5831-b.htm

I would install a 9-speed in a heartbeat, especially a deep-reduction nine; I love 'em.

Eaton/Fuller Road-Ranger build the nines, thirteens, etc.

The nine-speed should not be compared to the ten-speed, on account of there is a world of difference in drivability between the two, with the nine being by far the best.

http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger...909a/index.htm

This wouldn't be a bad way to go, either :

http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger...4205/index.htm

The absolute worst driving experience would have to be the eight-LL, unless it were an auto.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Alwaysworking
perkins on this site has an rto in his ford, powerd by a perkins look in the convertions
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=201559
That is one NICE ride.

Quick Reply: Eaton Trans Idea