3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rancho 9000 shocks - problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rancho 9000 shocks - problem

Last November I decided to upgrade to the Rancho 9000s. I wanted Bilstiens but I have a 2wd 2500. 2003 model and last time I checked they didnt have anything for the 2wd version. I installed the first set of shocks and set them at level 5 front and rear. After driving around I increased the adjustment to 7 because 5 was way to soft and bouncy. The rear shocks seemed ok, but as time and mileage went by, it got worse and worse. I sent in the first set of front shocks and they were replaced free of charge and I installed the second set. Initial setting was 7 and at first the compression and return dampening was very good, but as time and mileage wore on I am back to the same ride as before. If I hit any big dips on the freeway at 65 to 70 it continues to bounce 3 and 4 times and it acts like there is no return dampening at all. I sent an email letter to Rancho two weeks ago describing my problems and I have gotten no response.

Has anyone else had these problems? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:25 PM

Sir - I ran the Rancho 9000 shocks with a Rancho leveling kit - they sucked.
My truck started having major death wobble problems, changed stabalizer shock,ball joints,alignments done. Finally changed shocks - turned out passenger side shock was in two pieces when we pulled it out. No more problems!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:48 PM

Rad,
Did you notice dampening problems after you first put them in or over a period of time? You may have been doing other suspension improvements over the same time which added to the confusion over how to solve the problem.

What do you think of the Procomps? I mainly tow a 6,000 lb boat and stay on the highway. Not much if any off road stuff. I like a firm but somewhat comfortable ride.

Hello Rancho..... are you listening?? I will call these guys next week and see whats up.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:19 PM

The Procomp Mx6 are great - I have the front set on 6 max - rear on 3 - Cant complain about the ride. For your use I would get the Bilstien shocks - their supposed to have a the best ride. Good Luck.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:44 PM

I put a set of 9000X's on my 03 2500 QC LB Hemi and had them on for 9K miles or so... no problems with them. Then I got an 04 2500 QC SB CTD and put the same shocks on (not same type... but actually the same shocks) and I've got 8K on this truck (5K with 2" Rancho leveling kit) and I still don't have any problems. I can't recall exactly where I have it set at, but I think it's around 6 front 4 rear and the ride is just fine for me.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the 9000xs for about 16000 miles now. Up until a couple of weeks ago I had no issues with the shocks. Lately front end seems to be very stiff and dampening is very little at low speeds. Almost like shock has been stiffened. It is not bad and I only notice it at very low speeds over the little hard bumps. I have checked everything I can underneath for loose bolts or anything that doent look right. Can see anything wrong. When I get a chance I will have the shocks pulled off and checked.

I run mine stiff in the front to start with (7 front, 4 rear) so stiff is not a problem for me, this is just a different feel from before.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:49 PM

I've never had Ranchos last on any truck. Had Bilsteins on last 3 trucks (replaced Ranchos on one of them) and never had to replace them. Get Bilsteins. Just put 5100s on front ($74 ea) and very nice. Will do backs soon. Actaully at 27K miles the factory shocks were better than I expected; compression week but not bad and rebound week.

Pete
Old 03-21-2005, 09:04 AM

Spoke to Brian at Rancho this morning and was very sympathetic to my situation. He is the same person that handled the tie rod issue. We shall see how the 3rd set performs. He says there are no known issues with the shocks and they are the same ones for the 3500 series truck. I also asked them to follow up with me on what they find what failed inside of the shock.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:18 AM

I had exactly the same problem you describe with my 2003 2wd and the Rancho's on the front. I went thru two set's. I had absolutely no desire to try another set. I am so lucky I held onto the original shock's.
Luckily the place I bought them gave me a store credit after the second set. Sent both of the set's back to Rancho, they wanted to look at them. This was about two month's ago.
I am waiting for the Bilstein's. I hope they come out soon.