Go Back   Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums > 1st and 2nd Generation Ram - Years 1989-2002 > 24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

submit to reddit

Old 10-12-2002, 07:19 PM   #1
Shepherd57

Kerosene

Dose anybody know if kerosene can be used in our engines without causing any problems ?
Old 10-12-2002, 07:38 PM   #2
Lary Ellis (Top)
DTR Online Store/Admin

Re:Kerosene

Kerosene is recommended under extreme cold conditions I believe, though you would hardly run into such conditions in the lower 48 states. Manual states you can use it in an emergency otherwise. <br> I don't think it has the lubricating qualities that your injection pump requires, so I wouldn't unless it was that or walking 100 miles.

lellis@dieseltruckresource.com
DTR Performance Shop Toll Free USA 1-877-375-1956

It's not the bullet you don't hear... it's not the bullet you don't see... it's not the bullet you don't feel... unless it is
Lary Ellis (Top) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 08:24 PM   #3
Dieseldude4x4
Administrator

CP: I use a mixture of about 10% Kero in the winter when I know it is going to get real cold. This is usually about three gallons in a full tank of fuel. Never had any problems yet though I don't think it gets cold enough to do to fuel what happens up north. I have had my heating oil tank gel and had to buy that $34 a quart stuff to de-gel it. A good anti-gel additive will do the same thing. As touchy as these injector pumps are, be real careful about what you use.
Board of Officers NCDTR #1 / President Virginia DTR Chapter #7 / DTR administrator
CLICK HERE to get a copy of the DTR Membership form and join our local Virginia chapter. IT'S FREE!!
Just print it out,,,, fill it out,,, and PM me for the address to mail it to!
Dieseldude4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 04:10 PM   #4
thatguy

Kerosene is not recommended for the new 24V engines due to the pump getting its lubrication from the fuel. (well maybe in an emergency you could get by for a while)... Now the older 12V engines can run on just about any distillate (kero, jet fuel, aviation fuel, etc). But again in emergency situations..<br><br>If you buy your fuel from a truck stop they probably are already selling a &quot;winter blend&quot; of diesel.. Here in VA the blend tends to be a 80% diesel and 20% kerosene...<br><br>If you decide to add kero to your tank make sure it is CLEAR and not dyed.. Dyed is a big NO NO..

What I'm pulling: 2002 Flagstaff 823 popup and a John Deere 790 compact tractor - 4x4, FEL
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 04:10 PM

submit to reddit