PDA

View Full Version : Something Broke - Turbo?

Maddog
11-09-2002, 03:34 PM
I just went and fueled up and I had a straight stretch of road and I thought I would open it up a bit. I was going maybe 50 but I was burying the Boost gauge. Odd of a sudden I heard a load bang under the hood and my boost went to zero. In the rear view mirror was a cloud of white smoke.

I was just around the corner from my house and when I got home I looked at the exhaust piupe and there was oil coming out of it. Also, just before I parked a dash light came on to check my gauges.

Once before I blew a seal on the turbo and the sound was very similar but I didn't have the smoke of the oil. This has scared the !@#$!#@$ out of me. Before the fix was pretty basic.

I hope this isn't terminal for my turbo or anything else.

HELP!

Maddog
11-09-2002, 03:45 PM
I do have a backup turbo. Is it safe to drive this truck the way it is to get the truck to my mehcanic which is about 40 miles away?<br><br>I have a call in to him to explain what happened to get his advice. I'm not moving it until I hear from him.<br><br>Does this sound like just a seal or could it be that the turbo is just thrashed?<br><br>

danlit
11-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Pull off the air intake boot and see if you can spin the turbo by hand, if it is hard the shaft broke. or the main bearing siezed.if so don`t run it as it will push ground-up aluminun into the intercooler and it aint coming out easy<br> Danny

Alan_Reagan
11-09-2002, 04:15 PM
<br>Sounds like the oil seal in the turbo went TU. If you continue driving it, it will lose oil through the seal and into the intake system.

Maddog
11-09-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys... I appreciate the input. When I was pulling into my driveway the first thing I thought of was to get on to the forum and check with the gurus.<br><br>

Lil Dog
11-09-2002, 04:25 PM
If you went from full boost to zero, I figure the shaft broke or the turbo siezed. Either way I wouldn't drive it. Sorry man. :'(<br><br>J-eh

Superduty12v
11-09-2002, 07:30 PM
Hold up. It could have been something as simple as a boot blowing off. Check all your pipes where they connect with rubber boots. That's the most likely case to start with. Then check the turbo...

Maddog
11-09-2002, 09:16 PM
Can a boot coming off cause oil to leak like that? I have a trail of oil from my exhaust pipe all the way up my driveway. My driveway is about 300 yards, a lot of oil.

yomitch
11-09-2002, 10:51 PM
was in a cummins shop the other day and saw what was left of the turbo...nothing. fortunately it went out the exhaust rather into the intake. good luck man!

Superduty12v
11-09-2002, 11:02 PM
No. There wouldn't be that much oil from a boot blowing. Unless there was enough oil in the pipes to drain like that. Oil does get in these intake pipes but not that much.