3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flo Pro "Twister" muffler vs Aeroturbine

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flo Pro "Twister" muffler vs Aeroturbine

Has anybody tried one of these Flo Pro twister mufflers? It seems to be alot like the aeroturbine.

http://www.flopro.com/Twister.htm
Old 03-27-2004, 09:35 PM

You know...I was going to ask the same question the other day. A few people on the forum installed them. I was also looking at the Spin Tech mufflers. They are shown at http://www.drgas.com/catolog.asp?id=4

I'd be interested to hear some opinions. Otherwise I eventually may become a guinea pig for the Spin Tech.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Hairy1" (click for visual-->https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1) is running the twister. Haven't seen him post in a while. Might have to send him a PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:40 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought two of them but decided to go with the DPP complete system instead. If anyone is interested I will make you a deal. They look like a good design and are very compact. 4" in and out, 18" overall length.

wetspirit
Old 03-28-2004, 11:14 AM

how come you never hear of big CATs or earth movers with aeroturbines?
Old 03-28-2004, 11:28 AM
db

I want a autoturbine to reduce the drone at 65-70 mph.......I would consider putting one on a D-9 cat if it had a drone noise at highway speeds.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:08 PM
db

Ok I took the twister muffler into my muffler man & he said if I put it in that I would loose 20 hp.because it is very restrictive. He said all this even though he has had no experience with them. He also said he can fix my drone with one of HIS mufflers. I don't think he knew anything about what the spin technology is about.

So I e-mailed flo pro (about the Twister) to try & get some info & any performance testing that they might have to further my research.

I looked at the Aeroturbine & it does not do any twisting of the exhaust. It is a straight through design.

The Twister has a big cork screw path around the outer edge with a straight pipe through the middle(smaller than the main exhaust tubing) This creates a venteri action. According to the site this acts to help increase the exhaust flow by increasing the volocity through the center thus drawings more exhaust through the outer spinning edge.

I still havent decided if i'm going to install it yet.

db
Old 04-06-2004, 10:12 PM
DTR Advertiser

I installed two twister mufflers and dynoed them back to back. 100 HP loss. No kidding. The two twisters VS the standard Walker muffler was 100 HP. The same day and dyno. The turbo spool up was great. Really great, but once it built about 20 PSI it would nose over. The twister has a 3 Inch pipe inside the muffler.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:46 PM
db

Hmmmmm Don you say you installed two. Why two? A 100 hp????? What did you start with because if I lost 100 ponies I wouln't need a dyno to feel that kind of loss. Sounds like these Twisters may kill your turbo boost. I have the 4" in & out Twister. Is that what you installed?
What exhaust system are you running on your 97'? I'm just trying to mellow out the drone a bit that appeared once I installed the 4" turbo out ATS system on my 97'.

db
Old 04-06-2004, 10:59 PM
DTR Advertiser

I tried two mufflers to help kill the noise. I was running a Walker straight through muffler with a full 4" from the HX40 back. I was tired of the drone on the highway and was going to make a long trip soon after the mufflers. Yes the twisters were 4" in and 4" out, but inside them is a 3" straight through pipe and a twisty thingy.

I knew the power was low and two mufflers is stupid but I wanted to kill the noise the best I could.

Man, it was very quiet after I installed them though. I was dynoing around 480 at the time and it went down to the 370 range if I recall.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:44 AM

I took off the cat...ran straight pipe and did not see the mileage increase was in the .5mpg range...not enough ...so I put on a 4" in/out flo pro twister muffler and noticed no mileage change either but I did noticed that the truck seemed to have a little better pick up. Doesn't seem right but that is what my SOP feel told me. Also during all of this...I had afe air filter and a homemade torque tube installed. I was looking for mpg gain but I did not see anything that made me happy...less than .5 or .6 mpg. You can get that by pressuring up the tires.