TXDTR #8 Forum for the Texas chapter #8

Tx #8 June Meet

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Congrats on the dyno win! From what I read, that was the big purse of the day (unless there was a big dog competition).

So where is an alternative source for Cummins parts in DFW? I normally go to Cummins Southern Plains on Irving Blvd in Dallas, but got there yesterday and found out they changed their hours at the beginning of June. Now they're only open Monday-Friday till 5pm. Service used to be open till 1am and you could get parts after hours. Since that is a bit of a haul to make during the work day, I guess I need to find a new source. Cummins lists a bunch of Ford dealers, but when I've called them before, they don't stock any parts. What I need are the copper washers and injector o-rings right now, but guess I need a new source for filters as well.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not sure about hours, Justin....

But there is also Cummins Southern Plains in Mesquite off of Big Town Blvd and there is Southwest International on 75 here in McKinney. (they service trucks and you can buy Cummins parts through them too, I think)

I know I bought fleetguard oil filters from them.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what all did you win Matt? Are they definately switching to the "closest" to the number method of dyno bracket......as opposed to the "closest without going over" method?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AggieJustin
..So where is an alternative source for Cummins parts in DFW?
If you still travel to Calera often... I buy at Graham International in Sherman.... just north of Mall on Texoma Prky.
Always call to see if what I need is in stock. If not they get it in next am. Decent prices and open Saturdays.... mornings at least!

Well done Matt!
Sorry I did not make it. What did you dyno at Bully Dog... on John Issac's Dyno? Comparison would be interesting.... or did you hold back at Dr Performance?

RJ
Old 06-27-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Open on Saturdays...that's what I need. I'll have to check with them.

As for Matt, he said on FB that he did an all-out run of 392 on the Dr. P dyno with the Quad 140 Hot. He did 400.3 on the Floor-It dyno the other weekend with the Quad 140 Standard. So either the Dr. P was stingier or the Quad 140 Hot hurt his top end.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They said that they would do the "closest to" method for the dyno the next time they have one, which their thinking August.

Exactly as Justin said. Only comparable numbers I have are from the same setting of level 1 (which is the Max Mileage setting) was 372 at Dog Days and 352 at Dr P. I compared the numbers between me and the only other one of my members to make it and it was a range of 5-8% lower for our two.
I can't be sure, but I know the 140 hot is more aggressive but probably just as high as the regular 140, but the 140 I'm betting on Floor-it's dyno again (without the safeties on) will produce 410hp.

Winnings were a first place dyno plaque, a fist full of Dr P decals, $150 from Bobby at 5 E Diesel and I didn't completely catch what the certificate was worth from Dr P (they didn't have them yet, supposed to send them this next week). I think my class was the only one to get cash though

As for running at the track, I started off with a run at 12.7 on level 1, but I was fairly consistent after it started to cool down outside and I was a little more aggressive about starting I was running 11.9-12.235 on the 100 and 140 horse settings. It'll be nice when I start cutting the weight down on the truck.

I also got really good mileage other than the 32 miles I had including the track. I finally figured a good way to drive to get good mileage instead of sticking with a speed I stuck with a boost number (7 going up and 6 coming back) I didnt use cruise control and avoided going over 10 psi and usually kept some throttle going down hill to build speed for the next hill.
Did 21.9 mpg on the way up but I can't confirm the mileage on the way back because I filled up on a slope as I left Kennedale, thus giving me slightly more fuel than I would have had level.

That 32 miles leading up to that fill up with the extra fuel said I did 6.6 mpg, and then fueling up when I got back to town it says I did 83.6 miles on 2.85 gallons which was 29mpg (pump originally shut off at 1.9, weird). I figure it was closer to 23 than anything.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:06 AM
I watch wind blow...

Dude, WOW I can't believe it. . . . . .
Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 AM
Chapter President

Way to go Matt! Sure helps to turn off all the "limiters" before hitting the dyno or track.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Chapter President

If they have the parts at CSP in Mesquite, I'd be glad to pick them up for you. Just let me know.

Also, you might try Southwest International in Mckinney. Their prices have gone up since the remodel, but they get "next day" parts there too.

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
Open on Saturdays...that's what I need. I'll have to check with them.

As for Matt, he said on FB that he did an all-out run of 392 on the Dr. P dyno with the Quad 140 Hot. He did 400.3 on the Floor-It dyno the other weekend with the Quad 140 Standard. So either the Dr. P was stingier or the Quad 140 Hot hurt his top end.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Duallydog
..... Only comparable numbers I have are from the same setting of level 1 (which is the Max Mileage setting) was 372 at Dog Days and 352 at Dr P.
Surprises me. The reputation of the dyno from Floor it Diesel has always been "stingy but accurate". The guys in KS. & MO. call it The" Humiliator"!

Either way...Good Job Matt! What are your plans for "cutting the weight down on the truck"?

RJ
Old 06-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Chapter President

The Floor it dyno is probably accurate just Dr Ps was stingier.
I'm looking at putting the stock bed back on it, the more I read about aerodynamics the less impressed I am with this bed for flow. I figured the other day that I had a square meter worth of flat surface that the wind is hitting, that alone is 154 lbs of pressure at 70mph. And a little more weight reduction will happen because I would lose the 4 tool boxes on the bed and just have the chest one.
It will be a major change going back to the stock bed, I only ever fueled up once with the stock bed on it, heck I had this bed on it within 6 days of winning the truck. I think I will eventually go back to a flat bed but I will probably build (or have built) to my specifications. (I'm already designing it)
Then completely redo the bumper, it will probably stay as a metal bumper but it will be better designed for flow with a detachable grille guard.
Doing all of this plus some other aerodynamic improvements and possibly a gear change (probably find a way to make a simple 2 spd transmission). I'm aiming at improving my fuel mileage at 70mph, who knows maybe I can make a consistent 25mpg truck.
And of course any of the improvements for air flow and weight will help at the track as well.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:31 PM
I watch wind blow...

FORT WORTH here I come, Not enough hours at work. and some other things . . . .

So I should be back soon, until school starts back up in Aug. 20th' ish
Old 06-30-2009, 09:42 AM

... I'm aiming at improving my fuel mileage at 70mph, who knows maybe I can make a consistent 25mpg truck.
Just noticed the 8700 lbs in signature!! Wow.
Assume that's you and full fuel? But still..... 100 lb. useful load!
Your mileage, for that weight, is excellent!

See you soon, MAX!

RJ
Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by RowJ
Just noticed the 8700 lbs in signature!! Wow.
Assume that's you and full fuel?
I weighed in at 8650 then put in about 8 gallons so I figured 8700 was about right.
Originally Posted by RowJ
Your mileage, for that weight, is excellent!
What has never made sense to me is when I head to the metroplex I get better mileage I think its a mix of more traffic to draft and I'm using my foot instead of the cruise control.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:06 PM

I weighed in at 8650 then put in about 8 gallons so I figured 8700 was about right.
8,707.6 lbs..... 92.4 lbs useful load.... but who's counting!
Congrats, you have room for a full cooler and a tool box....... or a very small woman!

I will never again complain about my 1,350 lb useful load.... not that I even thought twice about going over 8800 lbs.
Don't get nervous till I load 5 drums, about 11,000 lbs.

Quick Reply: Tx #8 June Meet