TXDTR #8 Forum for the Texas chapter #8

need inspection sticker in tyler, tx

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need inspection sticker in tyler, tx

My little cousin tried to get her 03 inspected and got turned down 3 times because the retards told her it didnt have a cat. well no crap, they were built without one. its got THE factory exhaust, only mod is an ez. any suggestions where to go??
Old 10-14-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, anywhere else! There is no exhaust inspection on our trucks in Texas. At least not yet. It is a "Safety" check ONLY that includes brakes, steering, horn, lights, road test etc. Exhaust should have nothing to do with it, especially a CAT that didn't exist on 03 trucks. They didn't exist on 3rd gens until 2004.5. Mine had one but it passes inspection fine.........even at the dealership...........without it. It's passed fine with no questions asked at all 3 of the different places I have taken it for the state inspection over the years.

Just tell your cousin to go to another state inspector in Tyler. Should only be like $14.00 or so.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 AM

Try a smaller privately owned shop. Most of the bigger oil and lube places that do inspections are so worried about getting popped for doing something wrong they are scared of diesels because they dont really know whats required on them. I dont even argue with those places anymore. Last one that denied me an inspection didnt even let me get out of the truck before they said they wouldnt do it.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 PM

I take mine to the dealer in Athens. Passes even with 4" straight through ! They are only touchy on mud flaps !
Old 11-30-2010, 11:42 AM

So, what did she end up doing ? Mine was failed for no muffler last year (there actually is a law since Sept. of 09 stating we must have mufflers ) but when I took it to another shop, and it passed (guy didn't know about the new law or didn't care ) the truck came up flagged on the computer. It had to be taken back to where it failed, so muffler had to go on.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 PM

I am a state inspector and as the laws are written diesels as of now are still saftey only. The exaust must exit from under the passenger compartment. It must have a muffler. Some people try to argue that a turbo is a muffler but that is not true for one simple reason it is not put there to reduce noise. I have seen the rear turbo kits for gas cars and trucks but I have yet to see one with that system pass inspection.
If you fail an inspection you must return to the original station with the problem corrected to pass. As far as the cat thing it is not an item of inspection on a diesel truck. The exaust is, but only in the form of no leaks, have a muffler, and exit out from under the passenger compartment.
If they fail the truck they must give you a written letter showing why it failed. If it failed for no cat you need to contact your local DOT and get them to recheck your truck. Most likely they will help you out. I hate people that abuse fake power. I will copy this section of the manual when I get to work. That way I can quote correctly.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:03 PM
I watch wind blow...

^^ Way to clear things up!!