TXDTR #8 Forum for the Texas chapter #8

March at The Ranch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AggieJustin
I just have to share a funny text I received.

My brother-in-law drove my truck over to the shop this afternoon to drop it off. He has a bone stock '99 auto for his farm truck. I told him that in addition to cutting out, it felt a little sluggish at part throttle. He just sent me a text saying "sluggish my ***"...so I guess he made it to the shop. LOL!

Ha! LOL!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Chapter President

Well, still no news from the Dr. with a diagnosis. Wouldn't you know, it doesn't want to act up for him when he runs it around on a test drive. He's tried a bunch of different scenarios and it hasn't done anything. He said the APPS was showing rock-solid output voltage while driving according to his scanner, so unless it's an intermittent APPS problem I guess we rule that out. Fuel pressure has been solid as well, so it doesn't look like a fuel delivery problem.

He has another week to work with it since I'm going to be traveling this week. If he doesn't find anything this week, I'll run down to Giddings next weekend and bring it back up here. Anyone want to be on standby duty with a trailer in case she decides to stop short of home??
I can be on standby, but don't have a trailer..............
Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll actually have a trailer on the truck fairfield/corsicana and to grapevine next weekend. Hollar of you have issues.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Justin im sorry to hear about your truck trouble! Hope you get it figured out soon and get it back on the road.

Mine let me down last weekend too. The wife, Jared and our schnauzer puppies and I took a long RVing/ATVing trip to Evarts, KY (Harlan county coal mining area) and met up with some friends for a long week of riding (ziplining too). We rode hundreds of miles on ATVs in some of the prettiest country anywhere in the US. We were so far east in Kentucky, we actually rode into Virginia. Beautiful beautiful country.....and so was eastern TN on the way home. The temperature, by the way...never got over 90 I don't think. Very comfortable compared to this hell hole currently at 107....but that's another rant for another day. (why did I move to Texas 22 years ago, again?)

The truck (173K on the ticker now), Weekend Warrior trailer and ATVs all did great on the whole trip. However, Saturday night around 10:30pm coming back we got about 20 miles east of Greenville, TX and we started smelling diesel fuel. I pulled over on the service road and discovered a cracked #4 injector line. I have since learned that this is a common problem on the common rails. A big big thank you goes out to Kurt (RV PRO) who had a spare #4 line and came to rescue us. Diesel was all over the engine bay, undercarriage, and some on the trailer. But, the new line did the trick and it ran perfect to get us home and ever since. Thank goodness it happened WHERE it did.....and that Kurt had a spare #4 line, or it would have made for a much longer night. I've learned my lesson to always keep a spare of that injector line in the truck as a backup.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard of a lot of 3rd genners that add a #4 line to their truck box. Glad you were fairly close to home! More importantly on the way back after all the fun.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Chapter President

****, Robert! Glad you were close to home and Kurt was able to come to the rescue. Beats being in Western Colorado and loosing an injector pump............
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
And that's why I always carry spare parts...even if RJ laughs at me.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Thanks guys. I learned that one the relatively "easy" way.....rather than being stuck in BFE Kentucky 200 miles from no where.....and a 1000 miles from home. That was our longest ever RVing trip. Even Colorado is only 700 or so miles away. We plan to upgrade RVs eventually and get a bigger 5th wheel toyhauler and make longer trips to places we have never been.

Im going to be making a few changes to the truck too. Im tired of the all black look.........and ready to add back some chrome. Im going to go back to stock polished wheels and lug covers, Nitto Duragrappler (road tread, with heavier load capacity...3900+ lbs a piece) tires, put my chrome grill back on, remove the red 2nd gen emblems, replace with chrome c badges, stock headlights and make a few other minor cosmetic changes. Im not sure when I will get to the changes.....just over the next few months....as I wear down the current tires. I have already removed all the stickers from the rear window. I still love the truck but sometimes I wish I had a 6 speed manual to offer more gear selection for towing.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 PM

After 2 weeks of the 48RE, I'm looking forward to having six gears to play with again. Don't get me wrong, it's nice around the city...but my right hand and left foot are bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (blame my phone for any typos)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Chapter President

After 2 weeks of the 48RE, I'm looking forward to having six gears to play with again. Don't get me wrong, it's nice around the city...but my right hand and left foot are bored.

Did you find out what's wrong with the truck?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
Did you find out what's wrong with the truck?
No, the mechanic test drove it under all kinds of conditions for the past two weeks while he had it and never once had a problem with it. Going to pick it up tomorrow, then probably headed home on Sunday. If it happens to me again on the way home, then I'm going to assume she hates me.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 PM

Update

**UPDATE**

Well, the mechanic test-drove it right up until Friday and it never gave him any problems. I made it home without any problems on Sunday and it never acted up again, so I'll assume she doesn't hate me. But it still doesn't feel "right".

The best way I can describe it is that it feels like I'm running into a headwind. When I'm running over 2K, it feels like it's pushing harder than it's supposed to. The problem is, my EGTs and boost doesn't show any additional load. My EGTs were dead on with my normal cruising values (no additional load). The boost numbers seemed to be lower than normal as it harder ever went over 10psi (except for very brief spikes). The reason I describe it as a headwind isn't so much for the way it behaves on the pedal, but more so when I lift off. When I was running 70+ on I-35 and would lift off the accelerator, it would slow down quickly...almost like a gas engine when the throttle snaps closed. Since I know the aerodynamics of the truck haven't changed that would cause more drag and the fact that I wasn't in a headwind, make me think something else is going on. I'm leaning away from a fueling issue since fueling would be irrelevant when off the accelerator pedal (no fuel provided, engine turned by road speed through transmission).

So that leaves me with air. Is there a potential for turbo failure to cause these symptoms? If the turbo is causing a flow restriction, that could present as lower boost and additional back pressure when not fueling, but I would also expect higher EGTs. I know I have a some seepage on the seal since I get a little oil film on the compressor inlet, but that's the only physical problem I've seen so far. Since I'm running a dry air filter, I know it's not coming from there. And the filter is not that dirty, I wouldn't expect a restriction on the intake side. I am planning to check for boost leaks by pressuring up the intake to rule out leaks as a cause of lower boost.

This probably reads like crazy ramblings, but I'm just tossing ideas out there for you guys to shoot holes in...or to let me know I'm not nuts. Since it's never nice enough to throw a code, the only thing I have to go on is the "seat of the pants" dyno. I'm open to any other testing ideas you guys might have...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 PM

Have you considered just going ahead and putting it on a dyno? Maybe run several runs and see if they vary and by how much. Just throwing out an idea too.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Chapter President

Do you have an exhaust brake?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Have you considered just going ahead and putting it on a dyno? Maybe run several runs and see if they vary and by how much. Just throwing out an idea too.

I've considered that idea, just need to find the time to head to the dyno. It would be interesting numbers to see where its currently sitting with the Smarty and Mach 4s. My guess is that it should be right at 400 since previous runs with the EZ/DD2 combo were consistently 350. I may see if that place in Lewisville is still set up since its the closest.

I don't have an exhaust brake, but that's kind of how it's acting. That's what put me on the air flow restriction idea.

Quick Reply: March at The Ranch!