TXDTR #47 Forum for the Texas chapter #47

Possibly moving to Austin

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possibly moving to Austin

Can anyone help me out and give some advice on areas to look for a rental house? Good areas, areas to avoid etc? Also, are there any Civil Engineers on here? I have sent my resume out to quite a few in Austin, but it always helps to know someone. It appears as though I will be in the area Friday the 9th - Sunday the 11th to check out the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM

West and Northwest are generally fine. Basically, stay west of I-35.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Chapter President

I would help you but i don't know much about Austin, if you don't care about living in Austin you could alway live in one of the cities just north of Austin a save some money and get out of the Big City living. You can't tell they aren't part of Austin... Check them out while your here Round Rock, Pflugerville, Cedar Park are all nice smaller cities to live in and alot cheaper than Austin...

Let us know when you get donw here and if you have time maybe come of use could meet up with you, and maybe one of the Austin guys could show you around some.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 AM

I suppose I should have clarified. I did mean the Austin area, I am not a city guy at all so I would prefer to be a little more rural or an outlying city. My wife is native to Colorado and never really been anywhere. Just coming down to Hobbs to visit me has been quite the eye opener for her. She has been researching Austin, and said that it does look beautiful. I am hopefult to land a permanent job over there so I can get my family back under one roof.

I do have friends that just moved down this week to Pflugerville, and I have some other friends in Cedar Park I think. I have never been in Austin just driven through on the Interstate while driving truck. I have been looking on Google Earth and have been trying to find something smaller on the west side. I have noticed small towns like Dripping Springs, Meadow Lakes, or the east like Bastrop. They don't appear to be far commutes into the city. Anyway thanks for all the help and I will have to see on time. I will let you all know.