Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

What type of drivers licenses do yall haul with

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm only cost 65.00 to get a class A here..
Old 08-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dadwolf2
Well, around here, it's close to 2 grand to get a Class A CDL so I would call that a big deal!!
So your state requires someone to go thru a driving school and not just prove proficiency in order to obtain a CDL?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbworm20
are u from strattford originally
Yup! Sure am! Live over by Joe Gallup, south at garr corner. What about you?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
So your state requires someone to go thru a driving school and not just prove proficiency in order to obtain a CDL?
I guess I would have to double check the facts... You do have to get the medical check, pass the CDL test and walk around and then do the drivers test. My numbers were also based on getting a class A with air brakes. In that guess, since I don't have a rig like that, I would have to go to a driving school. I've never heard of anyone taking there pick up truck & 5th wheel down to DMV and telling them I want a class A CDL without air brake endorsement??
Old 08-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a class 1 which is the same as your CDL, I have an A endorsement which is for air brakes. I also have overlength and heavy trailer endorsement which would still require permits for whatever state or province I would be hauling overweight or over length. I took written and driven tests for all of my endorsements.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
I have a class 1 which is the same as your CDL, I have an A endorsement which is for air brakes. I also have overlength and heavy trailer endorsement which would still require permits for whatever state or province I would be hauling overweight or over length. I took written and driven tests for all of my endorsements.
Which I couldn't get without going to a truck driving school and IMO would be overkill for a 30' 5th wheel. But in some states that have the 10k trailer rule, I'm suppose to have a CDL. Another reason to stay out of Kalifornia!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gotmy class a with my truck and trailer since i was over 26k combo and got the air endorsement later.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator

I guess I would have to double check the facts... You do have to get the medical check, pass the CDL test and walk around and then do the drivers test. My numbers were also based on getting a class A with air brakes. In that guess, since I don't have a rig like that, I would have to go to a driving school. I've never heard of anyone taking there pick up truck & 5th wheel down to DMV and telling them I want a class A CDL without air brake endorsement??
Originally Posted by rich
gotmy class a with my truck and trailer since i was over 26k combo and got the air endorsement later.
Like Rich implies above, I think there is a class A without air brakes. I've heard that somewhere before but can't remember where right now. But you could always rent something for a day to take your test in. Written test is no big deal and you should know all the stuff that's on it anyways, and if you don't, it would at the least make you a more 'aware' operator. Med cards aren't a big deal either as long as you're in reasonably good health. Also, don't forget that (hopefully!), you only have to do this once. And it's always something you could use later to make some money if something happens in your life that prevents you from practicing your chosen profession.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Which I couldn't get without going to a truck driving school and IMO would be overkill for a 30' 5th wheel. But in some states that have the 10k trailer rule, I'm suppose to have a CDL. Another reason to stay out of Kalifornia!

Up here, I just got the books, studied, practiced with friends that have the gear and then wrote the tests. I wrote all at the same time. Have to start with the original drivers exam here and have to pass all classes up to class one.
Then I scheduled the appt for the heavy trailer and over length test. I did this with my one ton. I did have to verify I had someone with the correct endorsements bring the combination to the test site.

Then I did the 1A with my friends semi. No school. School is optional here.

Here we start near the downtown core with a walk around and do city traffic first. Then we head out on the highway and do the gears, turnaround etc.

Scotty
Old 08-22-2010, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty
Up here, I just got the books, studied, practiced with friends that have the gear and then wrote the tests. I wrote all at the same time. Have to start with the original drivers exam here and have to pass all classes up to class one.
Then I scheduled the appt for the heavy trailer and over length test. I did this with my one ton. I did have to verify I had someone with the correct endorsements bring the combination to the test site.

Then I did the 1A with my friends semi. No school. School is optional here.

Here we start near the downtown core with a walk around and do city traffic first. Then we head out on the highway and do the gears, turnaround etc.

Scotty
I wish I had your friends! My friends don't have a tractor and trailer. And I'm pretty sure I can't go to a truck rental with a CDL permit and say, Hey, I would like to rent your tractor & trailer so I can try to get my license (with or without air brakes). And our DMV is famous for having guys come back once, twice or three times because they didn't like they way something was done. And practicing with my Dodge truck and 29' 5th wheel isn't exactly the same thing as a taking a tractor and trailer out for a DMV test.

Yes, your are correct, technically school is optional. I go back to my original premise; does a person with a 29' 5th wheel really need a CDL? It's my understanding that it depends on the state rules and whether you go with the 26k combo or 10k trailer rules. 26k combo I'm good, 10k trailer states, I should have a CDL. I remember this issue coming up at work and the way the guys it pertained too, they were equally divided on the interpretation of the DMV rules. Anyway, if I really want to go to Kalifornia, I pretty much have to make new friends really quick or take a week off of work, pay 2k and go to professional truck driving school. Sure, the actual DMV license fee is small, maybe $65, but without a tractor, trailer & some practice time.....
Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Administrator

And I'm pretty sure I can't go to a truck rental with a CDL permit and say, Hey, I would like to rent your tractor & trailer so I can try to get my license (with or without air brakes).
Well you CAN if you have someone with you that already has a CDL.

I go back to my original premise; does a person with a 29' 5th wheel really need a CDL?
A 29' fifth wheel... WHAT? RV? If so, then no, you probably don't need a CDL because RV's are generally exempt from CDL rules. Anything else, maybe, depending on your sate reg's.

Read this; http://www.dmvstat.com/pdfforms/dlbookcomm.pdf When you're done, you should have your answers!

Here's a Nevada CDL home study course offered by a driving school for $89.95; http://www.tech-career.com/index-nv.html

And I just learnded sumpthin'; On the Nevada DMV site I found this statement; Attention RV, Boat & Trailer Owners! You need a Class A or B license to drive vehicles 26,000 pounds or heavier. You also need additional license endorsements to tow multiple trailers or trailers in excess of 10,000 pounds. See License Classes and the Non-Commercial A/B and J/R Study Guides. So RV or not, if it's over 26k gross, or your trailer is heavier than 10k, you need something.

Also, I found out that they have a 'J' endorsement among others, that states, "Endorsement J Allows Class C license to tow a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR. Additional written and skills tests are required." Maybe this applies to you?

Whether any of this reciprocates with other states, I cannot say, but I would imagine it would.

Hope all this helps, but if you STILL have questions, call the enforcement division at (775) 684-4790 and they will be happy to clear up any remaining questions.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 PM

Talking

Well you CAN if you have someone with you that already has a CDL.

A 29' fifth wheel... WHAT? RV? If so, then no, you probably don't need a CDL because RV's are generally exempt from CDL rules. Anything else, maybe, depending on your sate reg's.

Read this; http://www.dmvstat.com/pdfforms/dlbookcomm.pdf When you're done, you should have your answers!

Here's a Nevada CDL home study course offered by a driving school for $89.95; http://www.tech-career.com/index-nv.html

And I just learnded sumpthin'; On the Nevada DMV site I found this statement; Attention RV, Boat & Trailer Owners! You need a Class A or B license to drive vehicles 26,000 pounds or heavier. You also need additional license endorsements to tow multiple trailers or trailers in excess of 10,000 pounds. See License Classes and the Non-Commercial A/B and J/R Study Guides. So RV or not, if it's over 26k gross, or your trailer is heavier than 10k, you need something.

Also, I found out that they have a 'J' endorsement among others, that states, "Endorsement J Allows Class C license to tow a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR. Additional written and skills tests are required." Maybe this applies to you?

Whether any of this reciprocates with other states, I cannot say, but I would imagine it would.

Hope all this helps, but if you STILL have questions, call the enforcement division at (775) 684-4790 and they will be happy to clear up any remaining questions.
"A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross
combinations weight rating is more than 26,000 pounds;" So I'm good.

But I believe CA DMV requires the CDL if the trailer is more than 10k.

Another different but similar California truck issue from the RV forum; "San Diego parking regulations in residential areas say that I can't park a vehicle with GVWR of "10,000 pounds or more" except for loading or unloading" The guy wants to buy a Ford F350 SRW (now I don't agree on his truck choice but he can't park it without possibly getting a ticket. That's all we need is the local meter maid or code enforcement to do their part in restoring California's budget because a truck has a 350 or 3500 badge on it!!

Ok, I apologize for hijacking the OP's thread. Obviously the correct answer is to check with your DMV and other states DMV's. If you don't like the rules try complaining to your legislature.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Obviously the correct answer is to check with your DMV and other states DMV's.
Unfortunately, that's the only way to really be sure. And even then it's still a crap shoot. I just called 6 states between Michigan and Massachusetts to make sure I would be legal when we bring our 40' trailer and 33,000 lb GVW truck out there this fall. I started this ordeal in June and I'm not done yet. 5 of the states have been more than helpful, PA being the best. They have actually called me back twice because they originally didn't know the answers to the questions I was asking.
Indiana on the other hand are complete and total idiots! I asked what I would need to do besides the apportioned plate and the answer I got was, "Just come on into our state the way you are. When you get a citation, you'll know what you were supposed to have." Isn't that nice? He also insisted that I needed operating authority even tho I was moving my own property for no compensation. It almost seemed like once I mentioned the words 'non-profit organization', it was his intent to cost us as much aggravation as he could! In case any of you would like to hear this first hand, his name was Sgt Aupau, (sp?), and he's at 317-615-7373 ext 5.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator

You know, I just noticed... the OP hasn't been back to look at this thread since he posted the question. Must be real important to him eh?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Unfortunately, that's the only way to really be sure. And even then it's still a crap shoot. I just called 6 states between Michigan and Massachusetts to make sure I would be legal when we bring our 40' trailer and 33,000 lb GVW truck out there this fall. I started this ordeal in June and I'm not done yet. 5 of the states have been more than helpful, PA being the best. They have actually called me back twice because they originally didn't know the answers to the questions I was asking.
Indiana on the other hand are complete and total idiots! I asked what I would need to do besides the apportioned plate and the answer I got was, "Just come on into our state the way you are. When you get a citation, you'll know what you were supposed to have." Isn't that nice? He also insisted that I needed operating authority even tho I was moving my own property for no compensation. It almost seemed like once I mentioned the words 'non-profit organization', it was his intent to cost us as much aggravation as he could! In case any of you would like to hear this first hand, his name was Sgt Aupau, (sp?), and he's at 317-615-7373 ext 5.
WOW, that's amazing.

I just checked CA DMV and apparently I was wrong If I had one more axle I would need the CDL. It stated that if you are over 6k with three axles you need the CDL but since I'm two axles, 11.5k but under 26k combo...I fit in between the requirements

Seriously, appreciate your research and friendly debate.

Quick Reply: What type of drivers licenses do yall haul with