Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Weight police and private vehicles...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight police and private vehicles...

Just wondering what everyones experience has been on this. Do they ask what you weigh? Do they check how much you weigh? Do they even mention overloading of truck or trailer? Anyone actually gotten an overweight ticket? How much did it cost, did they make you unload right then and there?

Heres my setup.

98 2500 4x4

RAWR 6000 ACTUAL 6700
FAWR 4800 ACTUAL 4500
GVWR 8800 ACTUAL 11200
GCWR 18000 ACTUAL 17200

As you can see I am heavy on the rear axle and the total truck weight. I have added rear air bags and tires (3750 lbs.) to accomodate my load and the truck handles it nicely. I am just a little concerned about a ticket. This truck is used strictly for personal use. Load is a slide in camper and a Jeep on a trailer.

Thanks for any info.

John
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 AM

I havn't heard of anyone in california getting in trouble for it. In NC I have seen them enforce it.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:38 AM

We use to tow 20k with out 2500 and never got hasseled. Just cruise dont be doing 80 in the fast lane, Stay in the slow lane and do 55 you wont get messed with.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your good, look a the guys out there towing 40ft toy haulers with 2500's. They are grossly over weight. They look for two things, one that you are plated for the weight and two you are licensed for the weight. And many states consider private rv's exempt anyway.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM

yes i have seen them give tickets for overweight a ford ranger filled past the rails with sand and a dodge dakota with junk in the bed and a car on it sideways.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
usaully they dont mess with private vehicles but most of the time if it is not really noticeable or is way out of line they dont pay too much attention. they try to eyeball you first before they stop ya. dont look like you are breaking the law and 9 out of 10 they wont bother ya.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:21 PM

Usually - they look at the DOOR STICKER of a 2500, check to see you are licensed in the right class for a 2500, if all meets their satisfaction you are good to go. They SEE the 2500 more or less as a 'private' vehicle. They also seem to leave an RVer alone unless there is some obvious appearing weight related issue, ie:not towing level, down on ball end or back end way down with 5th or GN.

The 3500 is actually in the next class up from the 2500 according to DOT standards. They do not look at the door sticker, your registration and tires are what they base things on - both your truck and trailer. The 3500 is more of a 'commercial use' type truck, so they are tighter on it from the commercial angle.

If you are stopped in a DOT check, they will also dip your tank. I have been stopped a few times, once in TX, once in NM, once in AZ and once in Kansas over the past year or so. Every time they dipped my tank, every time the made sure my registration was right for the GVWR of the truck and trailer, every time the checked my tire ratings.

Keep in mind that I am NOT commercial, my trailers are marked NOT FOR HIRE and the lettering size meets the DOT standards. I also have cab clearance lights, which are required when you tow something over 84"s wide - which is just about everything out there except a small u-haul type enclosed trailer.

All of them asked me for a FUEL LOG BOOK, or receipts from the past 30 days, not hours driving/sleeping etc that applies to a commercial vehicle. All of them checked to see that I had a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, flashlight, road safety markers/reflectors (used in case of a break down) and they asked me at what distance the reflectors should be placed from the vehicle in the event I needed to use them. All of them put me on a portable scale, checked front/rear axle weights of the truck AND also checked the trailer axle weights. The DOT officer in Kansas remarket that I actually had the correct DL for the truck and trailer in combination. I asked him what he meant, he replied that the average 'citizen' has a regular DL, covers 3 axles in combination with the tow vehicle not to exceed 10K. My truck is a 4x4 (2 axles) and my trailer has 2 axles - 4 axles in combination, my trailer is a 14K gross - 4K over the legal average states license. I commented to him that just about everyone I knew had 3/4 ton 4x4's and pulled dual-axle horse trailers, dual axle utility trailers, or dual axle RV's and asked how that would play out for them, he said the DOT is cracking down nation-wide, won't play out well if they get stopped and do not have the correct license for what they are pullling.

So, in answer to your question about how you would fair, you be the judge. I know that I fair with all the right licenses, registrations, etc - and am going down the road within the law. I know that it is just a matter of formality to have to put up with the DOT stops, and they CAN and WILL be a PITA.

I did see a Chevy 2500 in the Kansas stop sitting in their temporary parking area, his trailer was red tagged/wheel locked, and he was going to have to get someone to tow it for him with the right equipment and licensing out of that temporary parking lot, and that someone would have to prove their vehicle met the muster. He was pulling a 5th wheel RV, guess it was around 30-32' long.

CD
Old 09-15-2008, 05:33 PM

they'll only screw with you if your doing something stupid or your the only think they've seen in hours
Old 09-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Let's see. I do drive commercial and have my USDOT numbers displayed per the reg. I've never been stopped in TX, NM, KS, AZ or any other state other than WY for a DOT check, and that was only because I garnered the State troopers interest when my cruise control malfunctioned. I've been transporting for 5 years.

When not transporting I have never been stopped anywhere and never expect to. When pulling a trailer it is either a 13,000# 5er or a 24 ft deckover gooseneck flatbed rated and tagged for 14k and usually loaded at near that. I don't go into weigh stations when I'm not being paid because there is no requirement to do so. I also would not have 30 days worth of fuel receipts and if I did, why would they care? A "regular" drivers license for my home state allows me to drive a vehicle or combination up to 26k GWR, there is no provision for trailers over 10,000. That is a meaningless number spread across the internet rumor mill.

I call BS.

BTW, that 2500 in Kansas was probably a transporter who didn't have his logbook current or violated a COMMERCIAL law. DOT does not enforce commercial laws on private vehicles.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:26 AM

GAmes.

You can call BS all you want, but the fact IS that I WAS stopped in those states, along with other people who were not commercial vehicles. ALL states DO periodical DOT checkpoints AND they do them on a regular basis. I don't visit weigh stations either, but when you get pulled into a DOT check they have a portable scale and they WILL use it.

I think the question about the fuel receipts had to do with being able to prove you don't run offroad fuel, but somewhere there IS a fed law requiring DIESELS to have fuel receipts when they don't keep a log. And NO, I am not searching for it and posting a link to satisfy your curiosity, I keep an accurate log book with fuel, maintenance, etc so it really is not my problem but maybe could be yours if you are unlucky enough to get in a checkpoint.

What you call a 'meaningless number spread across the internet rumor mill' IS actually a limit set by a majority of the states and is clearly stated on their drivers licenses and in their drivers license manuals for state licensing exams. It has been that way in CA for the 45 or so years since I got my first license. In fact, CA has a special DL endorsement for those who DO exceed the 10K towing, RV's, etc - so do most all states. I have a New Mexico DL, called a class E Non-Commercial, it covers exempt vehicles in excess of 26,001 lbs.

That 2500 in Kansas was traveling on the same road I was - I 35 N just slightly south of Kansas City. DOT does not enforce the laws per se, each states State Police do, all states have a separate group of 'highway enforcement' whose job is specifically to do the DOT checks.

While you MAY have a USDOT number, which by the way any one of us could get if we applied for it, you must not have taken the time to read the law book or researched the information that applies to transport.

When I was stopped on US-380, just inside of your home state of Texas on the west side, the State Police had set up in a small pullover area. It was mostly ALL RV's, bumper pulls, GN's and 3/4-1 ton trucks being waived into the checkpoint. When I was stopped in AZ it was again just inside their border on their east side - I 40. Pretty much a mix of vehicles, but mostly what would be considered private vehicles.

My truck is 2 years old, my trailers are all fairly new and meticulously kept, not like junk I have seen going down the road that is an 'attraction' to law enforcement so they do not single me out as a result. You have been lucky to have been able to not hit the timing of their setups, that's the only reason you have yet to be pulled into one. Come to visit New Mexico they set up everywhere at different locations on different days. There is one that is fairly constantly set up just outside of Roswell NM on US-70 8am to 4pm m-f, or at least it has been set up there for the past month or so. I have a friend who drives a semi professionally who has been pulled over there about a month ago when it was first set up, and most recently he was pulled over there in his Ford 1-ton dually pulling a flatbed GN with a tractor on it. He told me he went through the same procedure with both vehicles, got asked the same questions.

And finally, DOT WILL enforce the laws that apply on both commercial and non-commercial vehicles going down the road. DOT is not just about commercial vehicles and those laws specifically, they are about safety for all vehicles traveling on all roads. There have been people right here on this site who have been stopped on county roads that have been fuel dipped and safety checked. Really no such thing as a private road in this country, the feds have $$'s invested in every road outside of those maintained on private property. There have even been reports of the feds going into horse shows and dipping all the diesels in the place, I know of someone who that happened to as well.

CD
Old 09-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bottom line..........the DOT officers don't alway know the correct answers to the questions they ask. In my experience they can (and will) mess with you at will.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 AM

You're absolutely right annabelle.

Sometimes it DOES come down to fighting a ticket that is issued in an out of line sort of way. There is however a bottom line to the safety issues that everyone must conform to, and I personally agree with the need for these safety check even though they are a nuisance.

Over the past few years the DOT laws have had some changes made to them. They usually implement new laws on January 1st and July 1st. More often than not there is a 6 month warning period to get everyone knowledgeable and on the same page. We have seen a myriad of little stuff being put into play - mostly things like reflection/reflectors and clearance lighting, all safety stuff. It used to be that in NM you could get away with one brakeing axle in dual axle trailers, that finally went by the way, now both axles must be brakeing. It also used to be that if you had a farm/ranch you could have a farm/ranch license plate and get away with crossing over into the adjoining state, now there is a short mileage limit into the next state, some states do not allow it at all.

What truly makes US a little different is the DIESEL relationship. Many states laws and many fed laws were written long before diesels were used by the average citizen, so unfortunately there is little separation if any in 'private use' vrs 'commercial use' when it comes to many laws that should be commercial only. The states and the DOT are working to get the distinguishing lines corrected in their laws, but as of right now because of the diesel engine we all have some grey areas leaning more toward commercial laws to contend with. IF the officer so desires, they CAN and WILL press thngs to that exact, but most do see the differences and let some things slide.

I think a lot of it is all about revenue, every time they can impose a fine they will as it generates income to support wages, etc for the law enforcement agencies. I would hope that the primary goal is to get people going down the road safely, in compliance with the minimum standards that everyone should meet. Those who recognize being safe and legal are in my book good highway companions, those who continuously break the law and work to stretch the rules are a danger to everyone. It doesn't really take that much to be as legal, or even in a better state of going down the road as possible, certainly a benefit to all travelers whether private or commercial. Better well prepared, safe than sorry.

CD
Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was told by two DOT officers (in Southern NM), that as of 01/01/08 all 1 ton diesel power vehicles would be treated as commercial vehicles period. I would need a FE, safety triangles, log book, and first aid kit the next time they stopped me. They were almost militant about it. They said if I disagreed with them, I could see them in court. I was pulling a 20' utility trailer for my own personal use.......they didn't care. They said they were only going to give me a warning because I had done everything else properly and I fell in the grace period.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 AM

anabelle.

I was told the same thing when I spoke with a local state trooper about all these issues and rumors last fall. He went on to tell me that these requirements would be enforced country-wide on the 1-tons.

I have always carried a FE, safety triangles and a first aid kit. I have always maintained a record of fuel purchases, maintenance and repairs, but I kept that at home on my computer, not in a log book per se.

I went to Staples and purchased a nice little vehicle expense record book and now keep it in my vehicle. I also keep an envelope with it for my sales receipts, so I not only will be legal as far as the log book, but I will be able to back it up with the receipts. I checked with that same state trooper at the state office regarding using this book, showed it to him, he told me that it would be within the law to use the book I purchased but also if asked I would HAVE to be able to provide the receipts as well. I write the mileage on the receipts, photocopy them in monthly groups, keep the originals in a file at home and the copies in the truck.

On my most recent registration renewal, NM State sent me a renewal that shows my GVWR at 13,999 which IS a different weight class of licensure, my old GVWR was right at 12K.

By the way, if you travel down to Alamogordo, just south of Tularosa on hwy 54/70, the DOT sets up a checkpoint on a pretty regular schedule Mon-Thurs 8a-3p.

I also asked if we would end up having to have a DOT number on our trucks, he told me that was in the works for requirements in 2010 for all 1-tons in the private sector, they wanted to get the hot shot/commercial vehicles on board first. I did not ask what the commercial vehicle timeframes were, just about the private sector. Since I have horses and other livestock I may have to go the commercial route, he did not know where that line would be drawn. My horses are not show horses and I do not fit the commercial requirements, nor do I fit commercial for my livestock. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

CD
Old 09-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Banned

Wow!

I don't consider myself an expert by any means here, but for what it's worth...

I'm about to turn 27 this November and I have been behind the wheel of a diesel pickup in some way, shape or form since the age of 13 (on the farm driving). But from the age of 15 years 8 months (when you can get your learner's permit in VA) until now, I have NEVER heard of a "Law" or even a RUMOR for that matter that all diesel owners MUST keep either a log or their fuel receipts in order to "show proof" that they aren't running farm diesel. A simple tank dip would reveal that or if they really wanted to go into depth, a fuel analysis...In my 14 years of driving experience, I have also never heard of somebody driving a 2500 OR 3500 (that wasn't commercial) keeping track or their receipts or logging their fuel either...and that sounds a bit obessive/compulsive for somebody that isn't breaking one or more of their vehicle's weight ratings and ISN'T insured and tagged to be doing so in the first place...

Now, onto the whole "Your trailer and load is over 10K total so you're getting ticketed because you're overweight" garble...I have to call BS on that too. There are GCWRs for a reason and I, like stated above, have heard that you're not "commercial" unless you're either over 26,000GCWR OR hauling for a profit/business. My truck being that it has a front end replacement and rear bumper replacement and Leer bed cap probably weighs right around 8K. My dad's '99 2500 weighs about a thousand less and between his truck and almost 600K miles, 80% of which is towing equipment around and goosenecks with cattle, etc., and my truck which only has about 39K on it now, about 30% towing, we have BOTH seen 10K-13K on our vehicles since back in '98 when he bought that truck new...all those miles, whether he was driving, or I was driving and not ONE time have either of us even been looked at funny by the police or the DOT and I'm willing to bet that it's because we set our trucks up properly and weren't out there hot rodding around and causing chaos for the other drivers on the road...

With a GCWR of 21,500lbs if I'm not mistaken, even my heavier truck is allowed to tow 13,500 - minus my weight = 13,300. Our goosenecks have roughly 3,250 of pin weight MAX and with airbags, neither are sagging and our GAWR is still in check...our tires which are E rated can handle the weight too...the tongue weight of our trailers are between 800 and 1000, so we're good to go there too...

I'm failing to understand what's going on with this conversation? If you're not breaking the law, you're not breaking the law...simple as that...

Quick Reply: Weight police and private vehicles...