Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trailer tires

The tires on the 5 ver are marked ST225/75R15 Load range D .I would like to know, what is the differences between ST and LT. I know that LT stands for “Light truck” and ST stands for “Service Trailer”. But is there a difference in the way the tire will perform or is this just a way to get to you. <br><br>I can Buy LT for about 15.00 less in most places than the ST <br>
Old 07-26-2003, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Trailer tires

Hi,<br><br>Are the tires Carlisle brand?<br>Do they have a date code of 2001 or 2002?<br>Have they exploded yet? If not they eventually will.<br><br>ST tires are supposed to have stiffer sidewalls and resist UV rays better. However most RV manufacturers use the absolute smallest tire they can legally get by with. So the tires are usually at more than 90% of their capacity and often over capacity if the RV is not quite level, the road is crowned a little in the middle, you have a cross wind, etc.<br><br>A lot of us have had problems with ST tires. They just don't seem to have the quality that other tires do. <br><br>I solved my problems by going to a 16&quot; wheel and putting Michelin 245/75-R16 LT (Light Truck) load range E tires on my Wildcat. These tires have over 500 pounds extra capacity per tire. They run at around 65% capacity so stiffer sidewalls are not an issue.<br><br>Anyway just do a little searching here, on www.rv.net and also on www.wildcatonline.com.<br><br>I also have details of my tire ordeals on my web site.<br><br>Good luck with yours.<br><br>Bobby<br>
Old 07-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Urban Legend

I don’t think that I have the clearance for 16 “ rims, so that is out. Does any one know if it is possible to get 15 “ 10ply tires in a steel belted radial. Also what kind of price would they have.<br>I’m running 8ply at this time , and they only have 2450 / tire max load <br>
Old 07-29-2003, 11:33 AM

Try the Remington Wide Brutes they are d rated and i have had real good luck with them and a good warrenty too --never used that- The Goodyear ones are junk i blew at least one a year and the remingtons are going on thei5th year w/o a flat going the same places --BAJA Mexico bad roads- wish i could use 16in but no way too--then you can use 12 ply truck tires--only Bad year and remington make a d rated tire --if you find othere Good for a year makes them for them ie Les schwab tires Glenn
Old 07-29-2003, 12:21 PM

Ok, here is the REAL scoop on ST &amp; LT tires.
First ST tires are designed to slide on the road because they are being dragged behind your truck as LT tires are designed for grip and traction. There are some people out there that in fact do put LT tires on the larger 5vr's and don't get into trouble, however the ST style tires are designed for that purpose and do come in various sizes and load ranges. I would check into a larger size ST or higher load range ST in your current size trailer tire.
Just my .02 worth. 8)
Old 07-29-2003, 01:07 PM

[quote author=SuperGewl link=board=11;threadid=17533;start=0#msg165291 date=1059499302]
Ok, here is the REAL scoop on ST &amp; LT tires.
First ST tires are designed to slide on the road because they are being dragged behind your truck as LT tires are designed for grip and traction. There are some people out there that in fact do put LT tires on the larger 5vr's and don't get into trouble, however the ST style tires are designed for that purpose and do come in various sizes and load ranges. I would check into a larger size ST or higher load range ST in your current size trailer tire.
Just my .02 worth. 8)
[/quote]

I understand that the large RVs come with LT tires from the factory.

I had a ST tire explode in a middle lane of a busy 4 lane freeway with the only two things I care about in this whole world, my two young sons, in the back seat. I was lucky and was able to get to the shoulder quickly.

Then I started doing a little research. Many people reported having multiple failures of ST tires and not just the one brand we all talk about. My tires were less than a year old. One exploded and another developed an egg size bubble in the sidewall. My 8 year old found that one. Two out of four for me. I check the pressures before every trip. It is on my checklist so they were not under inflated. Not good odds.

I haven't heard of anyone who has changed to LT tires say they regretted that decision.

I've read folks posts about ST tires and their stiffer sidewalls, UV resistance, etc and that may have been the design intent but if the tires keep exploding then design intent doesn't matter.

I don't mean to flame anyone or ruffle feathers but there is no reason not to go to LT tires if you can.

1. LT tire quality seems to be much better than ST tires.
2. UV resistance. In 5 years I'll throw my LT tires away and buy new ones. I'll wear them out before then anyway.
3. ST tires have stiffer sidewalls. That might matter when they are maxed out on their load capacity, but my LT tires are running at about 65% capacity with 80 pounds of pressure. Sidewall flex is not an issue even in a 90 degree turn.

I don't plan to own another ST tire. I would not recommend an ST tire to anyone.

Bobby
Old 07-29-2003, 03:20 PM

According to my brother in law who has 6 tire shops the st special trailer- tire just has more stuff in it so the sidewalls do not crack as soon because most people don't use em enough to wear them out--He turned me on to the remington Lt tires as i put 8k miles a year on my trailer which by the way is a piece of shift too Don't buy Fleetwood products just so you know --Glenn
Old 07-30-2003, 03:57 PM

An additional concideration in the tire difference ith the tread depth. You need sone depth, but overall a new non st tire will have a much deeper tread allowing more tire squirm. On large trucks the ones that dont run recaps will buy new steering tires nan move the ones they take off with less tread to the trailer to help eliminate the squirm and heat buildup.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:49 PM

I recall hearing something bad about Goodyear 235/85-16 Load Range E tires. Anyone remember that? I have that size on my race trailer, but I'm not sure if I've got ST or LT. I will have to check next time I'm at the shop. Anyone know what models were bad, and whether or not I have to worry? I bought the 2001 model-year trailer brand new from the factory in 3/2002, and have only run it once cross-country and one short haul in-state. I'm about to move it again, this time a 400-mile trip, and will be sure to check them well before hauling out.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going along with the direction that this thread took, my trailer came new with 7 Dayton Load Range E tires on it. Only one made it to significent wear. The other six blew out/ shucked the cap. I now have an array of load range E and G tires on the trailer, some 235/85 and some 245/75 and have no problems with them.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:34 PM

When I went for new tires I asked the same questions....seemed there was not a lot of info to be had on trailer tires...then an old timer who hauls his horses around the country and owns a tire shop explained it to me in a way that makes sense. &quot;The sidewalls are stiffer on trailer tires so they will slide a bit when doing tight manuevering, rather than rolling over and eating up the sidewall, you should rotate often as the tag axle (rear in 2 axle) will wear faster&quot;. Makes sense to me.
When I brought the 4 wheels to him he told me which were the rears...to me it did not seem that obvious. Also the UV thing as in previous posts.

Michael
Old 07-31-2003, 05:13 PM
Urban Legend

Hey y’all, Thanks for all the advice and info. Have not been able to log in to the site for the last few days. But was able to read the response as a guest. All good info so now its up to what I make up my mind to buy. Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:05 PM

The Montana 5ver I have on order comes with LT235x75 R16 load range E tires. Hope they know what the right tires for the rig is. :-