Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Which Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Chuck,

Sure don't know why you would go with another Prodigy style controller rather than the positive control offered by the Jordan or the Brakesmart. You control the brakes rather than some electronics trying to figure out what is going on in the truck. That controller can't see the road, does not know what gear you are in or whether your EBrake is on, does not whether you are going up a hill or down a hill. You can, and your foot does the talking on the brake pedal - - either Jordan or Brakesmart respond to your foot, not do what they want. Anything that acts like a Prodigy is nothing like the Jordan, and from what I hear, nothing like the Brakesmart. Casey and Scotty can vouch for the Brakesmart and I, and a bunch of others, can for the Jordan. We have tried the Prodigy - - no comparison. If you are spending a $150 for something untried, why not reconsider and get something you KNOW is good.

Just trying to be a voice of caution and re-consideration. And, you are not going to believe the difference in the Dodge and your gasser when towing. Two different worlds. Congratulations.

Bob
Old 11-04-2005, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a prodigy in my old truck... I liked it! BUT, I want a brakesmart for my new one... anyone have a guesstimate as to when they might be available again? I have time...

Tony
Old 11-04-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by TPilaske
I had a prodigy in my old truck... I liked it! BUT, I want a brakesmart for my new one... anyone have a guesstimate as to when they might be available again? I have time...

Tony
I am on the "waiting" list with them. I think I've been on it for at least 5 months....I've lost track.
Brakesmart is changing manufacturers, so maybe they are having issues with that.
I dunno, but I do know that I'm tired of waiting and I am going to take Bob's advice and get a Jordan.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:56 PM

Anyone wondering about Brakesmart, go to this website for a letter that will answer all questions. http://www.brakesmart.net/ I hope they get everything going again soon, I've got one and without a doubt it is the best on the market for the person that does a lot of hauling. Expensive, but worth it.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by waynem
Another thing you might look at if you are going to do more towing, is the JAKE BRAKE !!!!

Personally, I feel Dodge should offer that as part of the towing packages on the Ram trucks with the CTD engines.

Difference is that with the Jake Brake (engine exhaust brake) you are NOT
touching the trailer or truck brakes most of the time. The engine slows the truck and trailer down.

One big hill we have to go down, about 3 miles long, we had the brakes glowing by the time I got to the bottom with 14000 lbs of trailer, had problems keeping it below 60 mph, real hairy ride.

After the Jake brake was installed, the same hill, came down in 4th gear, at 45 mph, didn't touch the brakes once.

Well worth the money to buy it and put it in. Over the life of the truck,
the amount of money you save on replacing truck and trailer brakes pays for the Jake Brake.

Now have a 2005, 3500 Srw CTD 6spd, and that's the first thing we had put in the vehicle. Next was the gooseneck trailer hitch.

Also if anybody is interested, I have a wiring diagram, and parts list to replace the "big, bulky, ugly" Cummins switch to the Jake brakes with a
nice in dash switch with dual color led to control the Jake Brake unit.
My Dodge 6 speed is a new toy for me and so is the TT......though the TT is pretty light. I do have to drive frequently in the mountains (colorado and No. Carolina) ..... a couple of the long 7 mile grades come off of 10,000' down to about 7500'. I was hoping that truck and trailer brakes, along with gearing down will be enough........what are your thoughts on needing the Jake brake. I had them on our past motorhomes, but those were 25,000# +. In those instances I wouldn't attempt to go down those grades without the jake brake.

Dick Hampton / Shawnee, Kansas
Old 11-08-2005, 06:30 PM

My Jacobs exhaust brake is one of the best accessories I put on my truck other than my "JORDAN". (just had to do that, Scotty and Casey) I use it even running solo on a flat road - - like coming off the interstate. In the mountains it is essential if towing very heavy. But, I also use it running solo in the mountains. It is the difference many times of using brakes or not using brakes. Coming down those long grades while towing, I always make sure I am geared down sufficiently to use no brakes at all - - then if something happens, I have lots of brake to stop. I have learned what gear with the Ebrake it takes to hold it steady on each grade percentage. Works like a champ. I would never have a truck without one now that I am spoiled with it.
Bob
Old 11-08-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totaly agree with Fiver Bob about the Ex brake I have a prodigy and I am one of the guys waiting for the Brakerite.
Jim O
Old 11-09-2005, 10:54 AM

Which model Jordan controller? I am pulling 46ft Pace Bigfoot, loaded heavy, and need GOOD controller.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by triplem383
Which model Jordan controller? I am pulling 46ft Pace Bigfoot, loaded heavy, and need GOOD controller.
Jordan Ultima 2020 is the one you want.