Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing in Mexico with my '08, what about the fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing in Mexico with my '08, what about the fuel?

Since I understand that Pemex in Mexico still has (or "may have") low sulfur diesel (LSD), and not the ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD), am I going to have any issues if running through a tank or two of it by chance while towing down there on vacation?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:06 PM

mex fuel

the word is that most of Mexico is at 15ppm of sulfur
that is ULSD you should be ok
stay away from the border stations as they are the last one to convert to ulsd or that is what the blogs are saying
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 AM

If I had to go there I would get the largest tank I could get for the bed & try not to buy any there if I could.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:09 AM

Mexican fuel

Not me my truck 1999 2500 dodge runs so much better on the fuel that i get from Mexico and i get better fuel mileage also by about 2 miles per gallon.
the newer trucks have a catalytic converter in them and that fuel messes them up. Fuel prices have not gone up in fact they have gone down in the last couple weeks in San Diego they are around 4.50-5.00 still not the 2.20 that it is in mexico.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 AM

I spent three weeks in Mexico in March. Not all but most of the stations (approx 80%) did have ULSD. I did run about four tanks of LSD without a problem.

Andy
Old 06-17-2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Long0
I spent three weeks in Mexico in March. Not all but most of the stations (approx 80%) did have ULSD. I did run about four tanks of LSD without a problem.

Andy
so far................
Bob
Old 06-17-2008, 04:19 PM

A general idea of cost for diesel in Mexico?
Cash only or will they take credit?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Long0

Andy
What part of Mexico? I've heard that Pemex is supposed to be adopting the new fuel since they are importing much of their diesel from US refineries...any truth to this? We're going to be in Sonora, pulling my 23ft. boat to San Carlos for a week. That said, I can fill up before crossing the border in Nogales and its probably only a 250 mile run so I should have no problem making there on a single tank of ULSD (even loaded down with the boat and gear). Its just going to need a fill in order to get around for a week and get back up across the border. I think I may just fill some portable cans and strap them in the bed just to be safe in case we don't find any ULSD.

Funny, even with ULSD that it is SUPPOSED TO RUN ON, I've already been back to the dealer about 4 times for the CEL and most recently new O2 sensor module...oh, and and my CEL turned back on once again last week! I think I'll get worried if it ever turns off!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by bob4x4
so far................
Bob
I've put 10K on since then, no problems!

Originally Posted by 2 Hands
What part of Mexico? I've heard that Pemex is supposed to be adopting the new fuel since they are importing much of their diesel from US refineries...any truth to this? We're going to be in Sonora, pulling my 23ft. boat to San Carlos for a week. That said, I can fill up before crossing the border in Nogales and its probably only a 250 mile run so I should have no problem making there on a single tank of ULSD (even loaded down with the boat and gear). Its just going to need a fill in order to get around for a week and get back up across the border. I think I may just fill some portable cans and strap them in the bed just to be safe in case we don't find any ULSD.

Funny, even with ULSD that it is SUPPOSED TO RUN ON, I've already been back to the dealer about 4 times for the CEL and most recently new O2 sensor module...oh, and and my CEL turned back on once again last week! I think I'll get worried if it ever turns off!
I was running around Hermosillo helping a buddy of mine build a house. I don't have a clue on where Pemex gets their fuel from, but the stations in the busy parts of town or right off the highway did have ULSD. If I remember right, the stations with only LSD were on the limited to the coast.
I think the price was approx $2.15 / Gal - Most stations do take credit.

Andy
Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 AM

40% of diesel & gas is imported from the US. Around here, much comes from the Shell Refinery in Deer Park.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 PM

Andy, thanks a lot for the information! That's the route we'll be running, down Highway 15 through Hermosillo, and I suspected that if any stations would have ULSD (believe it is called Pemex UBA? Correct?) it would be along there.

Its interesting, I've searched around on other boards and around the web, and there only seems to be ill effects from running LSD by "someone they know"..."ruining their engine", "clogging EGR", "burning up cat and running on limp mode", etc. Can anyone attest to actual problems that THEY have had with their new truck by running a couple tanks of LSD through it? (Obviously, problems other than those like I've had while running the necessary ULSD)
Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM

Some info here:
http://www.bajaquest.com/fuel/
Old 09-27-2008, 07:14 PM

All Mexico Diesel

I have a second home south of Ensenada, 100 miles south of San Diego. I spend about 80 days per year there. The mileage on my 2006 Dodge w/CTD is 45,000 miles. 95% of the diesel used to get to 45,000 miles was purchased in Mexico. For those of you that may not know, petroleum is nationalized in Mexico under the name of Pemex.

I have experienced no problems at all. My truck is entirely stock and it gets about 18mpg - according to the computer. As I would burning US diesel, I change the fuel filter and oil regularly. As a side note, I see numerous late model Dodge diesels in Mexico with Mexican plates.

The price for diesel right now is about $2.25 per gallon, up $.25 in the last 12 months in Mexico. In the area, there are hundreds of diesel powered yachts that all run on Pemex diesel. The only problem lately with fuel has been a shortage. A contributing factor leading to the shortages of diesel in Mexico is coming from Americans crossing the border to buy fuel at a cost savings of more than $2.00 per gallon. For gasoline, the variance is closer to $1.50. (diesel is currently at $4.99 here in California at the time of this posting.) Hope that helps.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:33 PM

Another interesting note about Mexico, evidently it is illegal to use transfer tanks in the country. I ran across some article on the Drudge Report saying something about this quaint law down south of the border. Evidently Mexico is okay with you filling up your regular fuel tank but not your transfer tank. The article said someting about the law being rarely enforced though.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:05 AM

RV NET has a section for folks traveling/working south t-of the boarder. I just ran across it and was polking around. Seems like alot of info.

Quick Reply: Towing in Mexico with my '08, what about the fuel?