Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

towing goose neck horse trailer weighing 12000 #s

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing goose neck horse trailer weighing 12000 #s

I am towing with 2007 dodge diesel 5.9 crew cab one ton duelly with 8ft bed.

How long can I leave the trailer hooked up to the truck? I will be doing some 'dry camping' if I am not able to find an RV park that takes an RV that is horse trailer.

So far the longest I have left it on is 2 weeks and that was back in 2007. It is a pain to jack the trailer up so don't like to take it off for only a day or 2.

Thanks for any info/suggestions... Mary Ann

ps I am 64 yo so the jack is a challenge!!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What brand of and how many jacks does the trailer have?

You might be able to put something like this on it:

http://www.towshop.com/store/pc/view...&idcategory=81

http://www.towshop.com/store/pc/view...&idcategory=82
Old 04-25-2011, 11:34 PM

no idea what brand of jack... there is one in the center and it is about 5 or 6 inches square. It has 2 gears, I am told it is like an 18 wheeler jack. It gives me a work out for sure. This is an older steel horse trailer living quarters trailer. Has to be towed with one ton duelly as the tongue wt overloaded a 3/4 ton diesel. I will check out those ideas you have sent. thanks, Mary Ann
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 AM
With age comes the cage

They should be some numbers stamped in the side of the jack where the crank come out..

Another option is to just carry a hydraulic jack and some cribbing, put it under the trailer jack and take some of the load off of the truck springs..
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 AM

It's probably a bulldog drop leg jack. They make an electric motor option for these that costs about $600.00 plus installation. I replaced mine with a hydraulic jack, they run about $1100 (big foot, magnum lift, etc) plus installation. I found mine at an rv surplus outfit for $700. For lazy factor, nothing beats pushing a button
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should be no time frame as to how long you can leave the trailer hooked up. When I use to do a lot of custom hauling I would unhook every 10,000 miles just to grease and then rehook.

I hear you on what a pain it can be to unhook some trailers my flatbed takes about 110 cranks in low speed. in high speed I can feel the handel flexing.

I made a adaptor that If I take the handel off the trailer I use a cordless drill to unhook the trailer. wooks perty good if you have a 2 speed jack.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 AM

The only reason I can think of to disconnect is for the tires. And if you have good E rated tires at max pressure, I don't see a problem. Is this a SRW or DRW?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 AM

I don't know how long you could leave it hooked up. I've had my 34 ft race car trailer hooked for a week at a time (12k loaded) camping.

I also use it for a portable garage for my streetrod. I often hook and unhook every day for weeks on end. I can hitch up and drag it out far enough to unload the car in 10 min.

I have a built in electric/hydraulic ram jack that I run off the generator and battery. It only takes a minute to lift the trailer and hang the stands. I have a collapsable step that goes over the rear duals so getting in and out of the bed is easier for these 69 yr old legs.

I also have one of those tennis ball magnet things that goes in front of the ball in the bed. I can hit the first time 9 out of 10 times.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:21 PM

I pull a big LQ horse trailer just like you describe with my 2007. I treated myself to an electric jack. Ohhhh, so much easier!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:08 AM

hi, thanks for the info. I was not wanting to put a bunch of money into an electric jack at this time as I was hoping to upgrade to newer living quarters horse trailer with electric jack.

Ain't nothing gets better with age but since I no longer do the 2 mile run for the Army, my knees are less painful. I am planning to keep riding for my horses for many more years.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:11 AM

Thanks for the info....!!! I am pleased with my truck and was amazed how it towed up a steep grade little mountain road from a dead stop. I have the auto transmission though and on the highway in TX get 15 mpg cruising at 60 mph. My truck is also inferno red... ford won't put that color on the one ton so lost a sale...lol
Old 05-01-2011, 01:14 AM

I will look at the tires to see the rating but they are for the big truck. AND they are michelins.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

You can leave it hooked indefinitely. The only thing I would do is when you are parked for a period of time drop the landing leg to the ground with a small amount of pressure on it to take the bounce out and stabilize your trailer while you are camping in it.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bentwings
I don't know how long you could leave it hooked up. I've had my 34 ft race car trailer hooked for a week at a time (12k loaded) camping.

I also use it for a portable garage for my streetrod. I often hook and unhook every day for weeks on end. I can hitch up and drag it out far enough to unload the car in 10 min.

I have a built in electric/hydraulic ram jack that I run off the generator and battery. It only takes a minute to lift the trailer and hang the stands. I have a collapsable step that goes over the rear duals so getting in and out of the bed is easier for these 69 yr old legs.

I also have one of those tennis ball magnet things that goes in front of the ball in the bed. I can hit the first time 9 out of 10 times.

Were is a good place to get the tennis ball magnet.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
place the stick on the ball just as you tip the stick it is perfectly centered over the ball. i bought my sticks without the ball from clark equipment. harbor freight and camping world have them. they come in pairs, makes connecting a bumper pull a piece of cake

Quick Reply: towing goose neck horse trailer weighing 12000 #s