Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

towing in colorado

Old 12-19-2002, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing in colorado

i'm thinking of taking my 5er to colorado in '03 and was wandering what i need to do to be able to pull it in the ice and snow up there--i'm from louisiand ans we dont have ice and snow down here---thanks for the help
Old 12-19-2002, 05:06 PM

Re:towing in colorado

Good tires and chains, just in case. If your driving in the mountains always be prepaired. Freak storms happen and can leave you stranded.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:30 PM
Chapter President

Best thing to do is travel in the summer so you can enjoy your travels...good tires are a no brainer...and I carry a set of cable chains all year mostly because Ive been stuck in mud more then snow or ice...also if your going to travel in winter your 5er will need heaters on the holding tanks and exposed water lines...enjoy your trip ;D
Old 12-19-2002, 10:14 PM

Cable chains will do just fine if you are staying on pavement. You will have a better ride with them and they are lighter, a little cheaper and stow better. If you are planning on using dirt forest roads, a set of real chains are needed. You should probably get the chains before the trip and practice putting them on a few times before you need to, if you haven't used them before. You won't like fumbling around in blowing snow on the roadside. As said before, make sure your trailer's tanks and lines are heated. Then just make sure you pack the camera! <br><br>Enjoy your trip.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:10 AM

Here in the Sierra in addition to chains I carry a short handled square point shovel. I has come in handy for shoveling snow from in front of tires and for chipping ice off of black top. You should also carry heavy clothing parkas, gloves caps, insulated pants and insulated boots. Every winter out here some one takes a wrong turn and gets stuck on road in the boonies that is not maintained. their cell phone doesn't because they are not near a major highway. It has been over two weeks before they are found. We do have whiteout conditions where anyone can get lost. <br><br>I also carry a plastic rain parka with a hood and put it on before installing tire chains. You can lay in the snow without getting soaked. <br><br>If you have a 4x4 you must carry chains for both axles and a set for one axle on your trailer if towing. Wally World is a good place to buy chains. I prefer the real chains, not cables. I've seen too many sets of cables come off.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:33 AM

Great ideas phil - and I also have a few gallons of water, a small box of energy bars and a full tank of fuel before I start over. I never thought of the GI shovel, but will pick one up. Have a Marry Christmas.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:44 PM

I never mention food or water cause you can always eat the snow, also you can go several days without food. Most of us have a good supply stored around the middle. <br><br>Having a CB radio is also a good idea as the cell phones don't have a signal when you need them.<br><br>Just Be Prepared!, Merry Christmas!