Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Top Three Choices Brake Controllers

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Top Three Choices Brake Controllers

Just like the title says, what are the top three choices for electric brake controllers??

It isn't for me; but, it is for my cousins new Duramax Chevrolet.

He knows little about what he should get and gave me the job of finding out.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow...I can't believe nobody has jumped on this yet!!
Here is my experience....

Best and most expensive.....Brakesmart.
Almost as good but more affordable....Jordan 2020 (if you can find them now.)
Most popular because of price and ease of install......Prodigy.

I switched from a Prodigy to a Jordan about a year ago, and until I can afford a Brakesmart, I will stay with the Jordan. Much smoother for what I haul than the Prodigy ever was.

All 3 are good products. If you haul often, big, or heavy, I would say go with the Brakesmart or Jordan. If you just haul a small fiver or TT once in a while, you will probably be happy with the Prodigy.

Good luck and safe travels....
Steve
Old 02-05-2007, 07:59 PM
TSB

I'm running the Prodigy in both of my trucks. I tow a variety of trailers and like the controller. It works while backing up as well. The Brakesmart and Jordon do also and may be a bit smoother but they are more expensive and harder to install.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Talking

OH NO, not again!!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:50 PM

Prodigy

Prodigy.
100 bucks and installs in 10 minutes or less.
Works like a champ with my 11K loaded toyhauler.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 PM

I like the Tekonsha Voyagers, I like having two adjustments & the Voyager has two, I have one in the g/f's 01' & one to go in my 07', had one in both the 97's I had & the 01' dually, I like them alot never had any problems with them. Dusty
Old 02-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Riddler69
Prodigy.
100 bucks and installs in 10 minutes or less.
Works like a champ with my 11K loaded toyhauler.

exactly!

I love my prodigy, I never realized how unrefined (as far as brake rate, brake power) the time-delay-based brake controllers were until I installed a prodigy...simple to install, awesome performance for the $ IMO

ben
Old 02-06-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first was a Voyager - it was a POS! Then I had a Prodigy for a few weeks and switched to Jordan in 2000 - I like it much better and it still works great. My 03 had a Tekonsha Sentinal when I bought it. I used it until I put the Jordan in. I liked the Sentinal better than the Prodigy too. Craig
Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm quite happy with the activator II by drawtite. Use it in all of my trucks, never had a problem.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a drawtite and I hate it...... Been waiting for the new Jordan 2020.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned

i got a question, whats the best way to test each brake to make sure it's working?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Box5
i got a question, whats the best way to test each brake to make sure it's working?

Jack up every trailer wheel.

Spin each wheel, one at a time, real fast.

Holler at wife and have her hit the brake pedal.

Wheel should go BANG and immediately stop spinning.

Now, with the wife still holding the brake, apply a big four-way wheel wrench to one of that wheels lug-nuts and try as hard as you can to make it turn forward, really strain your guts out.

Do this experiment on each trailer wheel.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Banned

Well, i'm getting a prodigy controller and wasn't sure how it fully worked, I thought u had to be moving for it to apply the brakes. Plus the trailer I just bought had one brake unhooked, so I hooked it up and wanted to test it.. Thanks for the info though, just wanted to make sure it would work sitting still...
Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Box5
Quickest and easiest way is go on a dirt road about 10 mph and push the manual brake button on the controller with the setting high. It should lock up each wheel - - get out and check the little pile of dirt in front of each wheel and the skid mark. Then, back it off a little at a time and repeat and see if one is grabbing. If you have a Jordan, you can check the magnets and wiring condition by monitoring the total current being drawn in the circuit with the controller activated on high. Each magnet should pull about 2.5 to 3 amps.

Bob
Old 02-08-2007, 02:38 PM

I have used the Prodigy more recently and before that quite a few cheapies. Im not too thrilled with the Prodigy thats why I ordered a Brakesmart (which should be here today!!) But I also tow a lot and heavy so im sure the Prodigy is fine for most since well it is one of the 3 top rated brake controllers everyone recommends. I can update once I haul with the Brakesmart.

Although one thing I have to say that I do find funny talking to quite a few RV and trialer places around me pretty much NO one has ever even heard of the Brakesmart?? I then explain it a bit to them and then some are like oh those are old with hooking to the brake system I said no this just goes to a sensor no fluid is displaced they then prceed to tell me those arent good too many sensors blah blah....I had one place by me tell me after I asked if they heard of or could get them said "No we dont deal with the CHEAP stuff" I laughed and told him $455 shipped is far from cheap...lol

So point being why is it that even trialer shops havent heard of it?

Quick Reply: Top Three Choices Brake Controllers