Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Thinking of getting a 5'er, any brands to AVOID?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we have been very happy with our keystone springdale, keystone's beginner line

'05 26 foot bunkhouse, it is in the starter price range, msrp of 23,500
paid 18,400

have four kids so price is always an issue even on my wages.

was the best bang for the buck in denver, there were cheaper trailers but not with the same features, has heated fresh water tanks, a big plus in colorado

check it out http://keystone-springdale.com/

plenty of dry storage
Old 06-10-2006, 04:21 PM

We looked at new RVs for a long time and decided to go with a good used unit instead. We have a 98 Cardinal 32' RKLX and couldn't be happier with it. The original owner took great care of it, and after looking it over, we couldn't see going with the new units we had looked at. We liked the Cardinal line to begin with, and had looked at a 29 RKLE which is a 30' version. The one we ended up with has a very similar floor plan, and has storage out the ying yang. The new unit was 42k retail, and we ended up getting ours for 1/3rd that price, and they threw in a new hitch and brake controller installed. We've used it all spring now, and haven't had one lick of trouble out of it, and are very glad that we went with this deal. Look around and you can find good deals out there...Kong
Old 06-11-2006, 01:29 AM

Owned my share of toyhauler pbh's and now a 5er. I've always gone new because many of the used toyhaulers take a beating. Skyline TT's seem to hold up well and when I last looked a few weeks ago at the rv spring sale they are still reasonable. Thor is a major brand that has acquired many smaller brands. They have a wide range units, floor plans and price ranges. Just be sure to bring someone along who is keen on what to look for, as quality and craftsmanship seems to lack on some units.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
BigPapa, very nice indeed! Seems like you got a pretty good deal there! How does your truck do hauling it?

I could swing something like that and not even have to stress about the payment and all. I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to be "that" guy, with a brand spanking new RV and zero experience towing something that big or camping at all for that matter.
I am very particular about my truck, I would be a nervous wreck pulling around a new 5er.

I'll just say I can get a speeding ticket on the interstate without a problem.

The truck handles the load great and I am seeing around 13mpg still. I have a 4x4 and it was a little high in the rear, so I lowered it a bit myself by moving the spacers to the top of the springs. This combined with lowering the kingpin allows me to have around 9" of bed rail clearance. Then I added a set of Timbrens to the rear to help with any sway, and eliminate any major sag.

Like I stated, I started in a pop-up, then moved to a 24ft, now 30ft. The 5er will track to the inside of the truck path, so you just swing a bit wider. On backing, the only tip I have is to place your hand on the bottom of the wheel and move your hand the way you want the back of the trailer to go.

Let me know the specs on your truck and I can kinda tell ya what to watch for. Be sure to include the bed length (short or long).
Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 2500 SRW, Long Bed, stock. Camper package (rear helpers).
I don't want to get the absolute MAX size for the truck, but don't want to be too conservative if I don't have to be either.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 AM

Ok. The main thing is you have a long bed, so you can pretty much grab any hitch and go. I have a short bed, so spent the money and got the superglide by pullrite so I didn't have to worry about crushing the cab. With the long bed you should be able to go 90 degrees and not hit the cab. So you shouldn't have to worry about hurting the truck.

Since you already have helpers on the back you shouldn't need any additional suspension equipment. I think there is a TSB for your year to lower the back end of the 4x4s if you want. It is to get improved space between the bottom of the fifth wheel and the bed rails. On this subject I would not go with less than 6 inches of space. I had a 98 ram when I pulled my 24ft, and only had around 5 inches. With it, I hit the back rear top corner of the bed rail and dented it some. So I made sure it wasn't happening to my new truck.

Really unless you get crazy you aren't going to have to worry about a weight limit. I think you'll be able to pull just about anything. Mine loaded to roll is close to 10,000lbs and I think the truck could pull anohter one attached to the back and not complain about it. The main weight you will need to watch is the Pin weight in the bed that will eat up your payload.

I think this should show you the max recommended ratings for your truck.

http://www.klenger.net/dodge/2nd-gen...ng-charts.html
Old 06-16-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're way way better off finding a good used mid-upper end unit than with most mfgrs. lowest end garbage! I've had a spanking new lowend unit that I couldn't even keep up with all the stuff that broke and the last time I bought an 8 year old Sunnybrook that I only needed to catch up on regular maintenance because the owner had MS. It's still a rock and was even lived in for 3 winters and rented out for another winter! A couple of lowend units I've had couldn't even take a dozen weekends a year. Of coarse you have to find a GOOD used one - it isn't that hard. Take it from myself and a couple of other posters - you will save a bundle in the long run. Craig
Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FiverBob
WHAT????? $3000 - - - for a fiver that is still moveable. You gotta be kidding. Hopefully you meant $30,000.
My '92 Terry 26 footer cost me $4000 and is in pretty good shape. I could use new tires, but otherwise the appliances all work well, as does the A/C. That said, I think my boxy little fiver is a low end model. Great for me right now, but I will definitely be moving up in the next few years!
Old 06-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 01350banshee
Thor is a major brand that has acquired many smaller brands. They have a wide range units, floor plans and price ranges.
Thor has long had major defect issues - - sort of depends which model and what year. I think they are now in the Fleetwood stable which certainly doesn't help anything.

Zulusafari - - When I made that statement I was thinking of anything less than ten years old. There are a few good buys on seldom used older units that can serve a person well, especially if one does not use them a lot or wants something to "put out at the lake". I strongly adhere to buying used and have never purchased a new RV. I try to buy 1 - 2 years old. I found a 90 Town Car last year for my son which had 12,000 miles on it and new tires - - paid $1700 for it. Gorgeous car. Love it when I can do that.

Bob
Old 07-04-2006, 06:25 AM

Question fifth wheel purchase

We done a lot of looking before we purchased my first fifth wheel. We purchased a Jayco Eagle, but we really looked hard at the Sunnybrook. If you go to Good Sams Club and go to forums or RV reviews, you will find very few problems with these units. I pulled my first Jayco(2001 Eagle) to Alaska last year and had not problems. over 16k miles in 3 months. Pulled with 2002 Dodge cummings

Look around and find the floor plan you like and look in the back of cabinets to see if the work is finished or half done. You can look and seek the quality by looking at different models.

Gool Luck and enhope you enjoy what ever unit you purchase.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:27 PM

Say it with me now...C-U-M-M-I-N-S
Old 07-16-2006, 06:46 PM

I'd look real close at how the fit/finish of the slide out room to opening is. The Cardinal from Forest River is the worst I have ever seen. I have been a group leader at Dutchman,Keystone, and Forest River and The Forest River was the sloppy-est by far! The crack-heads at the lamination shop don't have a care in the world and have no desire to do anything correct. I spent many hours cutting wedge shims to square up openings that were 1 3/4" out of square!!! There are very good chances of leaks or worn carpet/torn tile due to having to "jack up" one side to "make it look good in the hole" like the bosses want. I no longer work in that field as I am way too picky to see that stuff go. To most workers a unit is only 20 minutes or so of their day. And not a monthly payment. I tried and tried to change things for the better but after a while everyone just hated me for trying to have some pride in my product. Ahh well......
Old 07-17-2006, 10:32 PM

I have a keystone and I found for there price they give a good product. Cabinets,furniture and design are quality for the price. The best value overall is the springdale keystone. IMHO
Old 07-18-2006, 06:06 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been gettting more active here, I'm selling a rental property to a long time tennant of mine. I plan on taking some of the proceeds for a camper.

I (of course) am now looking at something in the 34-35 range. I have ruled out pretty much anything that isn't gelcoat exterior and I think we are pretty much set on getting a rear bunk room too.
It's all so amazing, some of these fifth wheels are nicer than my house!

Keep an eye out for my new "5th Wheel Hitch" thread, I have narrowed it down to two and will be looking for suggestions...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:31 AM

Glad to hear your close to joining the RVing crowd. We have really enjoyed it. I have a Jazz 2980 bunk house and couldn't be happier for the money I spent. We bought it last August and haven't had any problems(knock on wood). Trailer has alot of storage in fact we took it out to a family reunion last week and one of my uncles was giving the fifth wheels a bad name (he's a TT guy) because he would loose the back of his truck for all of his storage so after a few drinks I told him lets just see how much strorage you have in that short bed. Needless to say I emptied my two front compartments and already had his bed full up to the side rails and three more comparts to go. Anyway sorry for that It was just funny at the time I guess.

As for a hitch I use the B&W with the companion, Hitch works great for me easy in easy out but I tow goose neck trailers the majority of the time so more versitale for my needs.

As many have said already be wise when looking at used, there is alot of good units out there but there also is alot of bad units that look great to the eye. Living here in cold winters I have seen alot of trailers not get winterized properly and have major plumbing issues $$$$.

Happy Trails,
T398

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a 5'er, any brands to AVOID?