Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller

Another Prodigy Pic
Old 10-02-2003, 10:30 AM

One More Prodigy Install Pic.

I just have to hook the trailer up now and set the controller up.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:26 PM

Do you forsee any problems with the angle you mounted your controller... I want to upgrade and move where the dealer installed mine... (my g/f hits her leg on it when she moves the seat up)... let us know how the setup goes when hookup the trailer...

Thanks,

Bill
Old 10-02-2003, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=BillnBama link=board=11;threadid=20078;start=15#msg191916 date=1065119176]
Do you forsee any problems with the angle you mounted your controller... I want to upgrade and move where the dealer installed mine... (my g/f hits her leg on it when she moves the seat up)... let us know how the setup goes when hookup the trailer...

Thanks,

Bill
[/quote]

When I was using that unit I mounted in on the ashtray figuring that the ashtray open gave it a good level. What I found was that it worked just as well with the ashtray closed and the darn thing way up at a sharp angle.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:34 PM

[quote author=BillnBama link=board=11;threadid=20078;start=15#msg191916 date=1065119176]

Thanks,

Bill
[/quote]

I haven't tested it yet but the installer thought the angle of the unit as mounted was well less than the maximum 70 degrees allowed. I'm going to be hooking the trailer up this evening to test it and setup the brakes. I'll report the results later this evening or tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:32 PM

I've had mine mounted in that position for 2 years now... It works fine..
Old 10-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Mounted the old Prodigy on the screw on the lower right above the accel pedal that fastens the knee bolster. I did notice it works much better then when I had this particular unit mounted on an angle...Dunno why.
I thought this would be in the way of my boots...no problemo.
I think I found a custom spot for my CB too.
I am looking at the piece to the right of the ashtray. I think I will remove that and build an enclosure for the CB, paint it gray and presto donzo.

Thats after I do the stereo install and the shaker hood.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:02 AM

No problem with the angle of the Prodigy in my installation.

I set the sensitivity on my new Prodigy brake controller unit last night. It was simple to setup. I just attached the trailer, set the voltage output to 6.0 and drove at 40MPH, while holding the manual lever 1/2 way to "full on" for about 1/4 mile to warm up the trailer brakes . After that you drive at 25mph and move the manual lever to the full on position (briefly). If the trailer brakes "lock", you back off the setting slightly and re-try until the brakes don't lock when the lever is moved to the full on position. In my case, I had to turn the voltage up to about 7.5 before I could get lock up. After trailering a bit and applying the brakes both hard and soft, I backed off the output a bit, to about 7.2.

I find the brake controller to be very smooth. In a "panic stop" test, I could barely tell the trailer was behind the truck.

I like how easy this controller is to set up and the fact it has a digital display. As you apply the brakes, the display shows the (instantaneous) voltage output. The harder you hit the brakes, the higher the voltage. With the digital display, I'll be able to make minor voltage adjustments for carrying heavy loads (i.e. 2 horses and all of the gear vs hauling an empty trailer). I'll be able to quickly return the unit to the initial setup value. It will also be helpful when towing different trailers with different brake setups.

Oh, and I think it looks cool in the truck (color matches my interior). Did I mention the limited lifetime warranty??
Old 10-03-2003, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info... looks like a new Prodigy is in my near future....

Bill
Old 10-03-2003, 01:03 PM

[quote author=BillnBama link=board=11;threadid=20078;start=15#msg192294 date=1065192569]

Bill
[/quote]

If you don't have one yet think about the Jordan if you are pulling heavy. It is much safer albeit a little more difficult installation.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:33 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=11;threadid=20078;start=15#msg192387 date=1065204208]
[quote author=BillnBama link=board=11;threadid=20078;start=15#msg192294 date=1065192569]

Bill
[/quote]

If you don't have one yet think about the Jordan if you are pulling heavy. It is much safer albeit a little more difficult installation.
[/quote]

Haulin,

I may be dating myself by saying that I remember when electric brake controllers had no "inertia" compensator mechanisms (mechanical/pendulum or electronic/integrated circuit) and the longer you kept your foot on the brake, the tighter the brake shoes pressed against the drums, however, there is no question that the mechanical inertia type (pendulum) is a quantam leap forward from those days. I have been using one of inertia/pendulum devices for the past year pulling the same trailer I am pulling now. After installing and setting up the Prodigy, I feel that the electronic inertia type system is again a leap forward.

The Jordan may be another leap forward as well, however I didn't find anyone locally selling the unit and as a result no one to install/adjust and service it. I'm sure it is also an excellent controller, however it would have to be a bit more "mainstream" in my area for me to purchase it.

Of course I'm not saying the Prodigy is a better unit, just better known at this point.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:00 PM

Can I see the Pic?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:29 PM

[IMG] [/IMG]

Works well here for me.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Another vote for Jordan - - much smoother than the Prodigy and does what I tell it with my foot just like my truck brakes. My Prodigy stays in the storage bay as a back up.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:34 PM

I have the prodigy now but just bought a new camper and was wondering abought better controlers. Does the Jordan have a link straight to the break peddal to aply it or is it inertia(sp) activated like the Prodigy? I have always wanted one that was perfectly in sink with my truck breaks but have never had a need for a better contrler till now.

Quick Reply: Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller